Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I study A-levels again? Course Fees for Adult Learners? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I already have 3 A-Levels but I am looking to go back to college to study A-Levels again. Is this possible? And as I am 19 and will be turning 20 in September 2017, how much would the course fees cost roughly?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    First off, why go back to study A levels? What A levels are these? The college will be able to best tell you what costs are involved and how you can go about doing this.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing you need is the text books for the subjects you plan on taking; going back to college is not needed. You can register as an external candidate.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erkutakgok)
    The only thing you need is the text books for the subjects you plan on taking; going back to college is not needed.
    This isn't strictly true. If there's coursework that needs doing you need to check whether this can be done privately and if not you will need to be at college or at least registered at one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natashajade_)
    Hi. I already have 3 A-Levels but I am looking to go back to college to study A-Levels again. Is this possible? And as I am 19 and will be turning 20 in September 2017, how much would the course fees cost roughly?
    You will need to talk to local colleges as each is free to set its own fees and may have different fees depending on the subject. Don't be surprised at £1000 each year for each subject. Some won't accept anyone who already has A levels. Some may permit part time attendance if you only want to do one or two subjects. Most will have published their prospectus for next year and if you can't find the info you need they will have a number you can call to talk to an advisor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    If you're 19 or over when the course starts then you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to pay the fees: https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/eligibility

It might be worth looking into access courses rather than A levels if your eventual aim is university.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure that a further set of A levels is necessarily the best course of action in your case. Is your aim University? I presume so, otherwise I can't think why you'd be retaking your A levels. If it is, then I agree with PQ that an Access course could be a better option. Not only will you complete it in a year rather than two, but you can still get an Advanced Learner Loan to pay the course fees AND, importantly, if you go on to study for a degree off the back of the Access qualification, then the outstanding balance on the Learner Loan is cancelled! This could have huge financial implications for you - £6,000 minimum + interest for three A levels over two years, or £0 for an Access course, either of which would take you to your intended destination.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of distance learning colleges offer a-levels for about the £350-£400 mark and most will let you pay it in installments like Open College and ICS.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thank you for your reply. Currently I am at University and I am a commuting student. However I am really not enjoying the course anymore after making a decision to study a subject that is clearly not for me. At the moment I am considering all of my options. I have been in contact with my old A-level personal tutor, and like you she has suggested an access course. I have A level grades at ACC and I would like to study journalism. If I am looking at an access course - the one my local college offers is for Humanities and Social Sciences. Is this the best one for wanting to do journalism?
    If you're currently at university, and it's a case of wanting to study a different subject, is there even any need to go back a step to do Access? What are you currently studying?

If it's not totally in a different field, have you approached any universities to see if you could either transfer or go into the first year of a Journalism course? It would be by far the easiest option, rather than having to go back and do Access. Depending on the length of time you've spent on your current university course, there will be funding implications, and I'd suggest you need to be clear on those before leaving your current university course to make sure you can fund your proposed new course(s) fully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    If you're currently at university, and it's a case of wanting to study a different subject, is there even any need to go back a step to do Access? What are you currently studying?

If it's not totally in a different field, have you approached any universities to see if you could either transfer or go into the first year of a Journalism course? It would be by far the easiest option, rather than having to go back and do Access. Depending on the length of time you've spent on your current university course, there will be funding implications, and I'd suggest you need to be clear on those before leaving your current university course to make sure you can fund your proposed new course(s) fully.
    Currently I am studying English literature and I am only in my second semester of first year. I have had meetings with my personal tutor and been in contact with student finance so I am aware of the financial implications. I'm currently in the process of looking at/contacting Universities to see if they will consider my application with my A-level results.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Currently I am studying English literature and I am only in my second semester of first year. I have had meetings with my personal tutor and been in contact with student finance so I am aware of the financial implications. I'm currently in the process of looking at/contacting Universities to see if they will consider my application with my A-level results.
    Your first year on an English Lit course should also be helpful in an application to a journalism degree. You're unlikely to need to restart with A levels again (or even an Access course tbh)

I'd recommend restricting your search to accredited courses: http://www.nctj.com/journalism-quali...s#coursesearch

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.