The Student Room Group

The Great Big D of E Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
for us we first did the expedition but we had our booklet so we had to do all the volunteering n sport bits on the side and we went on the expedition at the same time but we had to have it all completed just a week after the real expedition in order to actually get the award
Original post by onlynsd
Oh, so if I don't I can't go and I fail?
Original post by Nx23
for us we first did the expedition but we had our booklet so we had to do all the volunteering n sport bits on the side and we went on the expedition at the same time but we had to have it all completed just a week after the real expedition in order to actually get the award

That’s probably just the way your school does it, I’m currently doing gold dofe and we have our final expedition in July but I know most people haven’t completed their residential yet and might not for a few months, you can still pass as long as you complete it by the time you’re 25 you just might not be able to get the award through your school
Original post by onlynsd
My assessor says I need 2/3 sections completed to go to the expedition. Is he lying or do I not need 2 completed?

I think that’s just your school. Some people in my bronze and silver groups had completed every section by the expedition and others had done none.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 23
Out of curiosity, how hard is gold dofe actually? Is it truly unbearable or not as bad as you’d expect?
Original post by nia0306
Out of curiosity, how hard is gold dofe actually? Is it truly unbearable or not as bad as you’d expect?

It is physically demanding yes, but it is more about your mentality. Even if you're having a rough time you can easily do it with the right attitude, and because there is 2 middle days you need to be determined to finish. If you you have done bronze and silver it won't be as much of a shock.
Hope this helps,
(edited 4 years ago)
I did my bronze dofe last year and in June I'm doing my silver. I'm a bit worried about my hair being greasy, it's really curly and after sleeping its such a mess and I normally wash it every morning because it gets really greasy. I'm a bit worried about not being able to wash it as I hate the feel of greasy hair and I think it will be a lot greasier than everyone else's. Does anyone have any advice? it's also really fine so not the easiest to put into plaits...
No idea what to do for my Gold Duke of edninburgh residential, does anyone know of any good places to do the residential that don't require a specific interest or hobby? Any ideas appreciated
Original post by steven_shibe
No idea what to do for my Gold Duke of edninburgh residential, does anyone know of any good places to do the residential that don't require a specific interest or hobby? Any ideas appreciated

Have you had a look on the DofE website? They've got a list of approved providers for everything. When I was looking for my residential they had things like transporting goods on a longboat and a few other random things that sounded quite good and were not specific to interests.
Original post by Crazymuffineater
I did my bronze dofe last year and in June I'm doing my silver. I'm a bit worried about my hair being greasy, it's really curly and after sleeping its such a mess and I normally wash it every morning because it gets really greasy. I'm a bit worried about not being able to wash it as I hate the feel of greasy hair and I think it will be a lot greasier than everyone else's. Does anyone have any advice? it's also really fine so not the easiest to put into plaits...

First of all, no-one looks good after DofE, so I wouldn't worry about that. I was in a group with 3 guys for gold and it was not particularly pleasant, let me tell you! However, if it is something that bothers you, have you tried dry shampoo? You can get travel size ones so it's not going to take up much space. Good luck!!
Original post by nia0306

I did mine, I'm not particularly fit or anything but I actually enjoyed mine more than silver. We did 2 days hiking and 2 days canoeing and I would certainly recommend doing something like canoeing - for one thing, you don't have to carry big rucksacks! If you've got a half decent group that helps too.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Historystudent5
Hi,
Im currently searching for a Gold Duke of Edinburgh residential. Ideally I would rather not pay any more than £150 if possible. Any suggestions?
Thanks

I've said this on a couple of threads already, check out the DofE website, they've got a list of residentials to suit all tastes and budgets. Off the top of my head, I think there are ones with YHA that are free and there are other low-cost/free ones where you are doing a bit of work but that still sound kinda fun (at least there was 3 years ago)
sounds good, cheers
Original post by lilacdolphin
Have you had a look on the DofE website? They've got a list of approved providers for everything. When I was looking for my residential they had things like transporting goods on a longboat and a few other random things that sounded quite good and were not specific to interests.
Pitta bread with Primula cheese in a tube works brilliant. It’s not the most exciting but the Pitta bread fills you up and the cheese isn’t that bad and there are different flavours. The cheese isn’t heavy so it was easy to carry a couple of tubes. I also had the small pots of rice pudding and custard which were easy to pack and added something sweet to my meals.
I did porridge for breakfast, quick cook pasta and sauce for dinner and cereal bars/nature valley/alpen bars for snacks. Would Pot noodle/super noodles work for lunch?
Original post by ChasingStars26
I did porridge for breakfast, quick cook pasta and sauce for dinner and cereal bars/nature valley/alpen bars for snacks. Would Pot noodle/super noodles work for lunch?

They could do, but you don't really want to have to be boiling water at lunch in my experience. It takes too long. Supernoodles aren't the best for filling you up for a decent period either/extended release energy. Try pitta breads or something like that- they're not very interesting but functional! I had one of them with some dried fruit and one of the john west light lunch thingies which worked quite well. Your other meals look good :smile:
My son's doing Gold DofE, finishing all his activities in a couple weeks actually.
For hiking expeditions he uses Wayfayrer food pouches as they are the most filling and possibly the easiest to handle.
He likes to take bagels with cream cheese for breakfast, and apples/nuts for snacks. He always says that it's best to minimise sweets, or sweet snacks.
Original post by furryface12
They could do, but you don't really want to have to be boiling water at lunch in my experience. It takes too long. Supernoodles aren't the best for filling you up for a decent period either/extended release energy. Try pitta breads or something like that- they're not very interesting but functional! I had one of them with some dried fruit and one of the john west light lunch thingies which worked quite well. Your other meals look good :smile:

Boiled the water in morning with breakfast, then I put them in a soup mug
Reply 37
I am looking for my residential for Gold. do you have any suggestions?
I was looking at Avenue Cookery School but was wondering what this was like. what is the Accommodation and is it worth the money ?
Original post by f_p110
I am looking for my residential for Gold. do you have any suggestions?
I was looking at Avenue Cookery School but was wondering what this was like. what is the Accommodation and is it worth the money ?

Very late reply but there used to be a list of suggested/approved providers on the D of E website which was helpful. That's not to say you can't do other stuff though if it meets the criteria. I'm afraid I don't know anything about the one you're looking at- try emailing them if you're still interested and want to know, sure they'd be happy to tell you :smile: or if there's any reviews of it online (not necessarily from people on d of e residentials).
Help, I’m doing my Silver DofE expedition and I’m really struggling with some aspects of it as I’m not an outdoors person. I have created a form here, let me know when you’ve done it

https://forms.gle/qTwq5ryuaMco1oyS6

If you have any questions just ask and let me know when you’ve done the form

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending