The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

aliel
So you're tough now are you? :tongue: I'm sure there are exceptions but, for me, an average comp student is more "independent" than that of a boarder.

Perhaps more 'street wise' but in no way more competitive or able to cope with huge amounts of pressure. (on average of course :tongue:)
aliel
:biggrin:

"Is it in yet Leila?"
Reply 42
Jools
I'd say being in a northern comp where people carry knives and someone was killed after being shot in the head with an air-pistol toughened me up.

I wouldn't say those who went to the top public schools noticeably have "a backbone for life" and independence significantly greater than anyone else.

Yep, don't see many a boarder lasting a minute in MillEnd on a friday night. :rolleyes:
Joey_Johns
Of course you can, but if your uncle for example was the head of a bank, wouldn't you rate your chances of getting the job much higher than normal? Of course you would get the job. Like I said, people are fickle, it perhaps isn't right to choose a candidate because their dad goes drinking with the boss, but it is life and it happens.

Sure. I just suppose the world of contacts and networking is there if I want it - the Oxford Union for example. The President last term, her dad is VP of UBS. Now why didn't I stay on her good side...
Reply 44
Jools
"Is it in yet Leila?"

Errrrrrr, that's naughty! I originally meant that most of the British students i met in Paris were former boarders and they were like lost puppies... :tongue:
aliel
Agreed. There are some murky areas within the world of work where an old tie is neccessary...but for the most part, times have changed. Anyways, i would hate to have gained a position from such a situation.

You'll find this very interesting.
aliel
Yep, don't see many a boarder lasting a minute in MillEnd on a friday night. :rolleyes:

Millend?
Reply 47
Joey_Johns
Perhaps more 'street wise' but in no way more competitive or able to cope with huge amounts of pressure. (on average of course :tongue:)

More competitive? Don't see that as being that desirable. Huge amounts of pressure? I don't call having to get 4As "huge amounts of pressure" when compared to the pressure in various forms that the average eighteen year old from a challenging background has to face...
Reply 48
Joey_Johns
Millend?

No- Mill End.
aliel
More competitive? Don't see that as being that desirable. Huge amounts of pressure? I don't call having to get 4As "huge amounts of pressure" when compared to the pressure in various forms that the average eighteen year old from a challenging background has to face...

Spot on. Many of the life-building personal development skills that have been mentioned here seem to be more attainable from a w/c rather than boarding school background.
aliel
So you're tough now are you? :tongue: I'm sure there are exceptions but, for me, an average comp student is more "independent" than that of a boarder.

Mentally, yes. Public schools aren't "tough" in the same way as a inner city comp, people don't carry knives around for example; but in term of competition and the ability to handle pressure, certainly.
aliel

Oh dear. This is the problem you see, you are looking at the problem from only one side. Just trust us when we say that life at boarding school is competitive. Gosh, you have no idea.
Reply 52
Jools
You'll find this very interesting.

The issue then becomes - can this person handle the job? If he can, then i'm sure he will later have no problem moving up the ranks. However, if he is unable to appropriately fulfill the role...his daddy's friend won't keep giving him favours (unless there is money involved). Now, if there is money around, the issue is about money and purchasing a career rather than the use of contacts.
Joey_Johns
Oh dear. This is the problem you see, you are looking at the problem from only one side. Just trust us when we say that life at boarding school is competitive. Gosh, you have no idea.

She didn't say it wasn't, just that it's not a desirable trait. It's funny to see at Ox particularly the girls being so bitchy; they were all top of the class at their respective schools and now just comparatively mediocre, and don't know how to cope with it.
BazTheMoney
Mentally, yes. Public schools aren't "tough" in the same way as a inner city comp, people don't carry knives around for example; but in term of competition and the ability to handle pressure, certainly.

Oh, I don't know baz, I've had a leatherman or swiss army knife since I was a nipper for preparing choice conkers :biggrin: Lethal I was :tongue:
Joey_Johns
Oh, I don't know baz, I've had a leatherman or swiss army knife since I was a nipper for preparing choice conkers :biggrin: Lethal I was :tongue:

You're too cool for public school :cool:
Jools
She didn't say it wasn't, just that it's not a desirable trait. It's funny to see at Ox particularly the girls being so bitchy; they were all top of the class at their respective schools and now just comparatively mediocre, and don't know how to cope with it.

lol yes. Bitchy girls always amuse me :biggrin: You can just imagine what a dorm or full of girls is like when some hate each others guts :biggrin:
Reply 57
Joey_Johns

I do, but not directly. Pressure. You live the life of an eighteen year old guy surrounded by crime, drugs, etc who is faced with the *pressure* of not conforming his life to that of his friends...with that of a boarder who feels that their parents don't "understand" them, or that they just must get *straight As* in order to live up to expectations yah-de-dah yah de-dah.

I am in no doubt that 'boarders' *feel* pressure as everyone does, but what life would you rather live in terms of the kind of pressure that you would face...
Reply 58
Typical, I didn't see that you used the word "competitive" instead of "pressure" lol, but then you didnt read my post properly either :wink:
Reply 59
BazTheMoney

Mentally tough? In what sense? In terms of drive and motivation i presume?

Latest

Trending

Trending