Cheltenham ladies college Watch

This discussion is closed.
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BazTheMoney)
In the world of the textbook and the mind of the Oxford Economics department, I'm correct. And a car would be one of the first things to go, or they would downgrade to an older, cheaper model.
In what way are you correct? There is a big "OR" between getting rid of a car and downgrading. In a recession, if a family is hardhit, they are *more* likely to downgrade. But, by them downgrading instead of getting rid of their car, there is recognition on their part, that the car is *neccessary* in their lives (be it in one way or another). I am sure that the Economics Dept. would distinguish between the relative elasticity of a new car and an old car. Where the purchase of the former is affected by the economic situation, however; the use and the ownership of a car in general is not affected.

And you misunderstood the point about petrol, I was jumping from elascitity to fiscal policy; the reason tax on petrol is high is because the government realise that a car is a luxury and not the only form of transport avalible to a huge majority of the population. .
The government does not "realise" that a car is a luxury good, I don't think one has to be politically astute to see through their *environmental concerns* as well as their *social* ones. Tax on petrol does not generally affect the consumption which results in higher collection of tax money. Moreover, it's hard for opposition to fight against the particular government's *environmentally and socially friendly* tax. :rolleyes:
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You're being very brave here; going against someone who knows a lot more about this than you.
For some reason, I don't feel that brave :rolleyes:
BazTheMoney
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Fair enough, you have your opinion, I have mine.

This is way off topic anyway, back to CLC.
Alexchelt
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
To be honest guys - i live in Cheltenham and have seen many 'ladies' from CLC and its true - they are all stuck up slappers who couldnt be more pretentious if they tried.... obviously thats only my opinion and im sure they are all lovely and kind virginal girls!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads