Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 25
Size:  15.9 KB

I'm not sure what the overlapping circles symbol means. Any help with the question would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blah3210)

I'm not sure what the overlapping circles symbol means. Any help with the question would be appreciated
    It is a current source producing a current of 1 mA
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

(Original post by crashMATHS)
    It is a current source producing a current of 1 mA
    To be fully accurate, it's a 'constant current' source, meaning it produces the same current whatever the load.

ReputationRep:

1. As stated the symbol is a constant current source.

2. Thevenin's theorem says that any circuit comprising only voltage sources, current sources, and resistances can be replaced with an equivalent circuit comprising a single voltage source V_T in series with a single resistance R_T. It is equivalent in the sense that it behaves identically to the original circuit as far as a load resistance is concerned.

3. To find V_T for a specific circuit, find the open circuit voltage of the circuit across the output via Kirchhoff's laws/Ohm's law - this is V_T

4. To find R_T for a specific circuit:

a) replace each voltage source with its internal resistance (0 for ideal voltage sources i.e short out ideal voltage sources)

b) replace each current source with its internal resistance (infinite for ideal current sources i.e. make ideal current sources open circuit)

and compute the resistance of this modified circuit across the output terminals - this is R_T

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.