Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling really depressed at the minute, I've spoken to the samaritans, childline and my GP. My GP said he'd get in touch with a college counsellor for me, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

I can't study, I just feel like crying. I can't concentrate. Exams are so soon and I'm going to feel 100x worse if I don't get the grades I need. I need some help quickly otherwise my life will fall apart completely

How do you get over your stress so that you can become productive? I need some fast solutions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)
    I'm feeling really depressed at the minute, I've spoken to the samaritans, childline and my GP. My GP said he'd get in touch with a college counsellor for me, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

I can't study, I just feel like crying. I can't concentrate. Exams are so soon and I'm going to feel 100x worse if I don't get the grades I need. I need some help quickly otherwise my life will fall apart completely

How do you get over your stress so that you can become productive? I need some fast solutions
    Find your diminishing return.

ReputationRep:

Hi OP

First of all I'm sorry to hear you're having a tough time. I know it's difficult, but try to keep reminding yourself that all bad things are only temporary - one day in the future you will feel better.

Have you spoken to your college about this? They should be able to support you, whether that be putting forward mitigating circumstances for your exams, or perhaps giving you options to take time out from studies so you can focus on getting better. Your health is more important than anything else, and the stress of exams / studying will do nothing for your mood.

I went through a similar thing, so if you want any advice please feel free to send me a PM.

Hope you feel better soon
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Unfortunately there aren't really any quick fixes and there isn't any one solution. It comes down a lot to why you are stressed and what works for you in terms of outlets and stress relief.

One pretty good start is CBT though. I don't necessarily mean actual cbt therapy (though it is a good option), but more the basic thought behind it. In short it's looking at something you find annoying or difficult or want to change and why that happens. Once you know more about why you can start on how to manage or prevent it.
    There's info on it online and I can go into it ore here if you like, but the main thing to remember is that everything has some reason behind it and if you want to change the behaviour or emotion you need to address the reason behind it.

Outlets are also really great. They don't fix the stress, but they do give you a way of releasing it. This can be pretty difficult if you're feeling depressed because you often find it hard to engage in something or to enjoy things you usually would, but if there is something you enjoy doing use that to your advantage. The ones you normally hear about are art, writing or music, but it can be anything. I find that listening to music and doing something with my hands (like this app where you tap along to music) works well for me, but everybody has their own outlet so find yours not somebody else's.

Exercise kinda comes under the same category as the outlet, but has the added bonus of pumping out some feel-good hormones and getting that oxygen flowing through you. It's also good if you can get some fresh air for the same sort of reasons. Your body has a huge impact on your emotions- healthy body, healthy mind and visa versa!

Don't bottle things up! All the things i've mentioned have a little something in common- release. It's really important to process things and a big part of that is letting them go. Talking is a great way to process things you're struggling with a bit. That's one way the counsellor your GP mentioned should help. Btw, you can always find one yourself if your gp is taking a while. Most schools/ colleges/ unis have some link to a service that students can access for free so just ask at the office to see if yours does and ow you get in contact with them. You can also access therapy through the nhs so you can look into that too. I was told about Time To Talk which doesn't require a referral so you can just call up yourself.
    And if you're under 18 you could be referred to a service called CAMHS, which is just like adult therapy, but they have a little more knowledge of teenage issues like school.

It's great that you've taken the steps you have to manage your mental health and although there is not quick fix you are on the right path.

Just remember that your health and well being is the most important thing and you can always re-take or find some other option if you don't do as well as you had hoped with your education. There is always a plan B.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.