A day/week at Cambridge, what's it like? Watch

This discussion is closed.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Faboba)
Is there such a thing as a Natsci boatie or would that be tantamount to suicide?

( As far as I understand it the bottom line is this; science based subjects are heavily classroom oriented and therefore you have lots of set lectures at lots of awkward times however if you're an art student while your work is not lecture based there is a lot you'll be expected to read up on 'in your own time' which may equal or indeed exceed the amount of time required by natsci lectures. )
There are NatSci boaties, yes. Very tired ones! It's perfectly possible to do, you just have to accept that about the only rowing practices you'll be able to do in the first year will be the 6.30am ones!

Yeah, that's about right I guess. First year NatScis DO, from what I've gathered from everyone else, have the biggest workload of the first years though: remember in addition to our contact time (works out at about 31 hours a week) we're supposed to be doing reading and eight hours' preparation for each supervision (4 a week). Not that anyone actually does eight hours' preparation, but you're apparently supposed to! The workload for the sciences is even bigger than that for the medics in the first year... (A medic admitted this to me ) All you budding scientists - get used to the fact that when someone asks you what you do and you say 'natsci', you will get a strange look. And the person will probably back away a little...
MrKeen
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Could anyone tell me what the timetable is like for linguists? Or is it pretty much similar to the rest of the arts students?
priya
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MrKeen)
Could anyone tell me what the timetable is like for linguists? Or is it pretty much similar to the rest of the arts students?
are you a linguist too? what languages/college??
MrKeen
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by priya)
are you a linguist too? what languages/college??
Oh im not at cam (yet, fingers crossed!). But hoping to do German with Latin at Trinity... What about yourself?
summerroks
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ASNaC)
Not really... I work more than the vast majority of arts students. Most, in the first two terms at least, rarely work more than 30 hours a week (often twenty or less). Exam term is a different issue all together, but you have a lot of time ahead of you before you have to worry about that.
Oh no, you forgot to mention that historians don't even have proper exams in the first year, so 'exam term' is one big doss too..
ASNaC
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Yeah, that's about right I guess. First year NatScis DO, from what I've gathered from everyone else, have the biggest workload of the first years though: remember in addition to our contact time (works out at about 31 hours a week) we're supposed to be doing reading and eight hours' preparation for each supervision (4 a week). Not that anyone actually does eight hours' preparation, but you're apparently supposed to! The workload for the sciences is even bigger than that for the medics in the first year... (A medic admitted this to me ) All you budding scientists - get used to the fact that when someone asks you what you do and you say 'natsci', you will get a strange look. And the person will probably back away a little...
However, if you are good at maths and physics you can skip almost all of those lectures. As a general rule the first year natscis I knew didn't work as hard as the medics - as a matter of fact most did not even work as hard as I did!
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ASNaC)
However, if you are good at maths and physics you can skip almost all of those lectures. As a general rule the first year natscis I knew didn't work as hard as the medics - as a matter of fact most did not even work as hard as I did!
I did And STILL failed..

Nah, all the natscis at Sidney worked pretty damned hard. And the arts students in general didn't (with exceptions!!) You sound like you worked rather more than most of our artists anyway.

Some people did skip lectures and regretted it big time! The physicists all found physics really hard. And, in fact, maths too!
ASNaC
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well the natscis I know are also not the best representative group - they are the ones who regularly frequent the bar. Of the six I know fairly well there was one first, two 2.1s, and three 3rds. They all fairly often skipped physics and maths lectures, but then again they all did at least two maths at A-level, and a couple had done three.

In general a get the sense that in physical natsci people can make up for not working hard by being brilliant (rather like mathmos), whereas in bionatsci you pretty much have to work hard to do well (though obviously work alone does not ensure anything)
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ASNaC)
Well the natscis I know are also not the best representative group - they are the ones who regularly frequent the bar. Of the six I know fairly well there was one first, two 2.1s, and three 3rds. They all fairly often skipped physics and maths lectures, but then again they all did at least two maths at A-level, and a couple had done three.

In general a get the sense that in physical natsci people can make up for not working hard by being brilliant (rather like mathmos), whereas in bionatsci you pretty much have to work hard to do well (though obviously work alone does not ensure anything)
Yeah, you're right I think. In all honesty I think while the jibing is fun, everyone works as hard as they're prepared to, whatever subject they do. Natsci still has the reputation and the odd looks though
ASNaC
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, you're right I think. In all honesty I think while the jibing is fun, everyone works as hard as they're prepared to, whatever subject they do. Natsci still has the reputation and the odd looks though
At least it's not compsci, which involves the same amount of work (at least first year), yet gets even stranger looks .

On the other hand, I suspect that us ASNaC get even more bizarre looks, just given the rarity of the subject.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Faboba)
Is there such a thing as a Natsci boatie or would that be tantamount to suicide?
My college husband is one. He rows for our 2nd boat and did ok in his exams. Obviously this isn't quite as intense as 1st boat, but they were still doing 6/7 outings a week in Easter term!

And yes, if you're a historian it's a good idea not to admit this in exam term of the first year :mad:
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ASNaC)
At least it's not compsci, which involves the same amount of work (at least first year), yet gets even stranger looks .

On the other hand, I suspect that us ASNaC get even more bizarre looks, just given the rarity of the subject.
Nah, I reckon ASNaCs are cool

True, anything's better than compsci!
Squishy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ASNaC)
Ahh yes, but if you've done a lot of the course before, you can cut a lot of lectures.

But yes, strange looks...
ASNaC
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
According to common legend they never see the light of day and are completely asexual. I have a couple of friends who are compscis, but it seems that only one of these two images has any gounding in fact (I'll leave you to infer which...).
ASNaC
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So do I, but I am a little biased
Squishy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ASNaC)
According to common legend they never see the light of day and are completely asexual. I have a couple of friends who are compscis, but it seems that only one of these two images has any gounding in fact (I'll leave you to infer which...).
Well, it must be the latter, unless they only go to lectures at midnight. :rolleyes:
B00kwOrm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

I have a lot of respect for ASNaCs and Classicists, based on their subjects which I believe to be the hardest arts degrees (that's just my opinion).

I must defend CompScis though: I met some really nice CompScis at Cambridge, they even went to a party with me and my historian friend. Really they aren't that bad!!
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
:'(
ASNaC
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Squishy)
Well, it must be the latter, unless they only go to lectures at midnight. :rolleyes:
You're assuming they go to lectures :rolleyes:

In reality I am not 'anti-compsci' - it's just so much fun (and so easy) to make fun of them.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
:'(
Awwww! I'm joking dearie I know some lovely compscis
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise