Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've managed to get in touch with a professor in the USA who conducted a study about race affecting the death penalty. For my primary research what sorts of questions should I ask him?
    My project title is "To what extent does race affect the imposition of the death penalty"

ReputationRep:
    since you're interviewing him, remember to talk about the pros and cons of using qualitative data when doing your write up maybe ask things like:
    'what is your opinion?'
    'what was your hypothesis? did your findings prove/disprove your hypothesis?'
    'how did you collect your data?'
    'do you think race is a significant factor when considering the imposition of the death penalty?'
    'do you think there are any other factors that contribute to the imposition of the death penalty?'
    'what is your theory/explanation for the reasons behind your findings?'
    'is there anything specific that you found which you didn't expect?'
    'what was the most interesting thing you found?'

just a few ideas. If you'd like anymore just let me know. Don't forget to make a bibliography as you go along with your secondary sources too. I forgot some of mine and spent a load of time having to find them towards the end of the project which was a real pain. try and keep a time log too, like what you did each time you worked on it. I did a log for each week, then you can evaluate your management of the project, time and why you changed/did certain things in your evaluation, which you can also use to talk about what skills you've gained. this'll also help when you have to do the presentation at the end. hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by courtneywxxd)
    since you're interviewing him, remember to talk about the pros and cons of using qualitative data when doing your write up maybe ask things like:
    'what is your opinion?'
    'what was your hypothesis? did your findings prove/disprove your hypothesis?'
    'how did you collect your data?'
    'do you think race is a significant factor when considering the imposition of the death penalty?'
    'do you think there are any other factors that contribute to the imposition of the death penalty?'
    'what is your theory/explanation for the reasons behind your findings?'
    'is there anything specific that you found which you didn't expect?'
    'what was the most interesting thing you found?'

just a few ideas. If you'd like anymore just let me know. Don't forget to make a bibliography as you go along with your secondary sources too. I forgot some of mine and spent a load of time having to find them towards the end of the project which was a real pain. try and keep a time log too, like what you did each time you worked on it. I did a log for each week, then you can evaluate your management of the project, time and why you changed/did certain things in your evaluation, which you can also use to talk about what skills you've gained. this'll also help when you have to do the presentation at the end. hope this helps

Thank you so much!! So helpful xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessbrighton1)
    Thank you so much!! So helpful xx
    no problem glad i could help. Another thing you could possibly do, which i done, was at the end of the project make an evaluation table of your sources. Explain why they were useful or not useful, examine their reliability and validation, etc. Also, you don't need to use every source in your actual write up. Anything you watch/read which influences what you're learning about your topic can be put on your source list (if that makes sense). When you state facts or quotes (doesn't have to be direct) in your project, remember to footnote the author, date, publication, not just a website or book, too.

ReputationRep:
    have you handed it in?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.