Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Saving Labour - A decent shadow cabinet Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just been talking to some labour friends of mine who are unsurprisingly highly glum about the current state of the Labour Party and interestingly they are all people who twice voted for Corbyn. Although there is no simple cure taking back Scotland, draining the party of the hard left and blairite factions as well as including some advocates of brexit might be a step in the right direction.

I think Labour could seriously be competive and perhaps win in 2020 with the following:

Dan Jarvis Leader
    Clive Lewis Chancellor
    John Mann deputy
    Frank Field Home Sec
    Tom Watson Business Secretary
    Liz Kendall Foreign Secretary
    First Secretary Alison McGovern
    Work and pension Anna Turley
    Education Mary Creagh
    Health Stella Creasy
    Transport Michael Dugher
    Defence Gisela Stuart

ChaoticButterfly

ReputationRep:
    It's worth a shot :indiff:

The only way I can see Corbyn going is if he puts forward a successor candidate, dunno if Dan Jarvis is "left" enough for that. Someone like Clive Lewis is more likely. Also what about keir starmer? At the very least he seems like the short of person that peoples' monkey brains would follow.

If there is another Labour coup attempt I think it will come from the left. I think most people recognise that Corbyn experiment isn't doing that well (well enough to be a majority), but the members voted him in because they feel like there is no alternative for various reasons.

ReputationRep:
    It should definitely have Heidi Alexander in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    It should definitely have Heidi Alexander in it.
    Yeah I suppose she'd actually make s better health secretary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    It's worth a shot :indiff:

The only way I can see Corbyn going is if he puts forward a successor candidate, dunno if Dan Jarvis is "left" enough for that. Someone like Clive Lewis is more likely. Also what about keir starmer? At the very least he seems like the short of person that peoples' monkey brains would follow.

If there is another Labour coup attempt I think it will come from the left. I think most people recognise that Corbyn experiment isn't doing that well (well enough to be a majority), but the members voted him in because they feel like there is no alternative for various reasons.
    Starmer is far too metropolitan as is umunna, as talented as they are. Jarvis is I think seemingly a genuine centrist (he voted for burnham- who was too the left of cooper and Kendall) and he does have a decent back story- the Tory would be mad to try and pin the inpatriotic schtick to a former Marine Captain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Just been talking to some labour friends of mine who are unsurprisingly highly glum about the current state of the Labour Party and interestingly they are all people who twice voted for Corbyn. Although there is no simple cure taking back Scotland, draining the party of the hard left and blairite factions as well as including some advocates of brexit might be a step in the right direction.

I think Labour could seriously be competive and perhaps win in 2020 with the following:

Dan Jarvis Leader
    Clive Lewis Chancellor
    John Mann deputy
    Frank Field Home Sec
    Education Mary Creagh
    Health Stella Creasy
    Transport Michael Dugher
    Defence Gisela Stuart

ChaoticButterfly
    I'd put Jon Cruddas as Foreign Secretary

ReputationRep:
    Starmer is far too metropolitan as is umunna, as talented as they are. Jarvis is I think seemingly a genuine centrist (he voted for burnham- who was too the left of cooper and Kendall) and he does have a decent back story- the Tory would be mad to try and pin the inpatriotic schtick to a former Marine Captain
    Yeah that's true. Clive Lewis has also served as well.

Also...speaking of Clive, it's all kicking off :nyan:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0#post70003770

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    I'd put Jon Cruddas as Foreign Secretary
    Ah forgot about him. Hmm maybe or he could replace frank field who is getting on a bit. Good choice though and fits in with the blue labour theme.

ReputationRep:
    Ah forgot about him. Hmm maybe or he could replace frank field who is getting on a bit. Good choice though and fits in with the blue labour theme.
    Labour can have both. They just need to get rid of Liz Kendall. I'd prefer Yvette Cooper over Liz Kendall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Yeah that's true. Clive Lewis has also served as well.

Also...speaking of Clive, it's all kicking off :nyan:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0#post70003770
    Yeah but not as distinctly as Jarvis

ReputationRep:
    I cannot imagine Frank Field wishing to be in the Shadow Cabinet. I would have thought Yvette Cooper would be included.

ReputationRep:

Dan Jarvis Leader
    Clive Lewis Chancellor
    John Mann deputy
    Frank Field Home Sec
    Education Mary Creagh
    Health Stella Creasy
    Transport Michael Dugher
    Defence Gisela Stuart

ChaoticButterfly
    John Mann and Dennis Skinner would be a dream team

ReputationRep:
    John Mann and Dennis Skinner would be a dream team
    Don't quite see it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingHarold)
    I cannot imagine Frank Field wishing to be in the Shadow Cabinet. I would have thought Yvette Cooper would be included.
    No she's as part of the problem as Corbyn.

ReputationRep:
    Labour can have both. They just need to get rid of Liz Kendall. I'd prefer Yvette Cooper over Liz Kendall.
    See above. Liz is pretty pragmatic and has a blue labour streak in her and she's very likeable.

ReputationRep:
    See above. Liz is pretty pragmatic and has a blue labour streak in her and she's very likeable.
    The problem with Liz Kendall is that she is more right wing than Peter Mandelson

ReputationRep:
    I met her once and she was polite and friendly. Not that this alone qualifies anyone to be in the shadow cabinet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingHarold)
    I met her once and she was polite and friendly. Not that this alone qualifies anyone to be in the shadow cabinet.
    Im confident that she's actually a genuinely nice person. In a personal capacity i imagine the majority of politicians are.

ReputationRep:

Dan Jarvis Leader
    Clive Lewis Chancellor
    John Mann deputy
    Frank Field Home Sec
    Education Mary Creagh
    Health Stella Creasy
    Transport Michael Dugher
    Defence Gisela Stuart

ChaoticButterfly
    This a joke? You cabinet doesn't even have Hilary Benn or Chuka Umunna, funny how you talk about draining out the blairite faction but have Liz Kendall as foreign secretary, are you using the May model of keeping your friends close but your enimes closer? Also think despite Ed's failure as leader he'd be a great cabinet member. Stephen Kinnock? Harriet Harman?

With that Cabinet I think Labour could actually go on to make gains but I don't see it governing Britain.

This is much like fantasy football lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    This a joke? You cabinet doesn't even have Hilary Benn or Chuka Umunna, funny how you talk about draining out the blairite faction but have Liz Kendall as foreign secretary, are you using the May model of keeping your friends close but your enimes closer? Also think despite Ed's failure as leader he'd be a great cabinet member. Stephen Kinnock? Harriet Harman?

With that Cabinet I think Labour could actually go on to make gains but I don't see it governing Britain.

This is much like fantasy football lol
    I have a lot of time for Hilary Benn and I like him a great deal. But I think labour in order to survive needs to adopt a degree of communitarianism which frankly he isn't suited for.

Liz Kendall is above all a pragmatist.

Harriet Harmon us in the same boat as Yvette Cooper. Kinnock Is good but the last thing they need is sccysations of nepotism.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.