Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Prove single status Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have been accepted at Uni, filled in my student finance form , only to find out I needed to produce my husband death certificate, he died in another country
    I now live with my daughter and have legal responsibility for my grandson the child of my son the child benefit child tax credit is in my name,
    as a student you don't pay council tax I don't have my own address
    will an application for housing from the local council do to prove my single status ? about to quit Uni as I cant prove my single status other wise
    please help
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dolcie001)
    Hi
    I have been accepted at Uni, filled in my student finance form , only to find out I needed to produce my husband death certificate, he died in another country
    I now live with my daughter and have legal responsibility for my grandson the child of my son the child benefit child tax credit is in my name,
    as a student you don't pay council tax I don't have my own address
    will an application for housing from the local council do to prove my single status ? about to quit Uni as I cant prove my single status other wise
    please help
    Is your name the only one on the council tax bill?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

Bless you, it sounds like you're having a very difficult time here!

I wonder if they would accept something like your child benefit notice/child tax credit notice (which should be in the single parents name as a single claimant) - you appear to have outlined that you are the claimant for your grandson? I believe this is one of the pieces of evidence requested to prove 'single parent status'. As you're a full time student you and won't be paying council tax this year I'm not sure how else you could prove this, however, it may be useful if you have a council tax notification from the previous year with single person discount applied? Alternatively, proving you are not paying any council tax this year may work? It shows there is no one else in the home who is not in full time education at least - if you had a partner living with you they'd be expected to pay a proportion of CT?

I'm sorry I can't provide you with any more advice; really hope you manage to get this resolved!

Best of luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.