Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most important questions to ask in an interview? Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    A lot of us will be at the point of applying for jobs, and going through interviews and assessment centres. I'm sure most focus will be on how you're going to answer the questions they ask, but it's also important to have something prepared to ask them in return!

As an example, I usually ask one of the following:
    - 'What's the most challenging experience you've had working here?'
    - 'If I were to get the role, what would you suggest doing to prepare before joining the team?'

So what would you say is the most important thing to ask in an interview? :work:

Your Suggestions

DOs
    • Why is this position available?
    • How long does someone typically stay in this job?
    • If anyone has failed in this job, why did they fail?
    • What are your future plans for this role?
    • How do people grow in this job?
    • What aspirations do you have for me at the company?
    • Do you have any doubts about my skills and abilities to perform the job role?
    • How many people would you be interviewing and when do you plan to make a decision?

• What is your least favorite thing about working here?

• Career Progression; show enthusiasm

DON'Ts

• I can suggest some questions not to ask at the 'any questions stage - anything about pay, holiday, benefits, parking, gym memberships and the like. Anything that could be obtained from a graduate recruitment pack fairly easily.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    A lot of us will be at the point of applying for jobs, and going through interviews and assessment centres. I'm sure most focus will be on how you're going to answer the questions they ask, but it's also important to have something prepared to ask them in return!

As an example, I usually ask one of the following:
    - 'What's the most challenging experience you've had working here?'
    - 'If I were to get the role, what would you suggest doing to prepare before joining the team?'

So what would you say is the most important thing to ask in an interview? :work:
    * Why is this position available?

* How long does someone typically stay in this job?

* If anyone has failed in this job, why did they fail?

* What are your future plans for this role?

* How do people grow in this job?

* What aspirations do you have for me at the company?

* Do you have any doubts about my skills and abilities to perform the job role?

* How many people would you be interviewing and when do you plan to make a decision?

But not necessarily in the above order though.

ReputationRep:
    What is your least favorite thing about working here?

ReputationRep:
    I can suggest some questions not to ask at the 'any questions stage - anything about pay, holiday, benefits, parking, gym memberships and the like. Anything that could be obtained from a graduate recruitment pack fairly easily.

ReputationRep:
    Enthusiasm and interest is particularly key. I would tend to ask about career progression.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I can suggest some questions not to ask at the 'any questions stage - anything about pay, holiday, benefits, parking, gym memberships and the like. Anything that could be obtained from a graduate recruitment pack fairly easily.
    Agree with you about pay question because it seems too obvious why the person applied for the job, unless the interviewer asks how much they are willing to negotiate.

In general all the questions above does not tell the interviewer what the applicant can do for the company because that's what employers are looking for, not what favours they can give for the applicant for doing the job.

That is not how getting the job works in reality.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boreism)
    * Why is this position available?

* How long does someone typically stay in this job?

* If anyone has failed in this job, why did they fail?

* What are your future plans for this role?

* How do people grow in this job?

* What aspirations do you have for me at the company?

* Do you have any doubts about my skills and abilities to perform the job role?

* How many people would you be interviewing and when do you plan to make a decision?

But not necessarily in the above order though.
    (Original post by tricci)
    What is your least favorite thing about working here?
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    (Original post by JaredzzC)
    Enthusiasm and interest is particularly key. I would tend to ask about career progression.
    Thanks for all of these, folks! I'm going to put together a list in the OP of what you've all come up with :teeth:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.