Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Half Terms? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do you get half terms at uni? I was just looking at semester dates of my firm and insurance choices (manchester and sheffield) ...and i dont see any sign of half terms...just so i can let my mum know if she isnt gonna see me til xmas... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    thanks! im on a joint maths and english course so..probably no half term, eh? Its quite a while from manc to my home town to go for a weekend *grimace* ah well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niusyla)
    Do you get half terms at uni? I was just looking at semester dates of my firm and insurance choices (manchester and sheffield) ...and i dont see any sign of half terms...just so i can let my mum know if she isnt gonna see me til xmas... :rolleyes:
    There are no especially fixed "Half Terms" like you got at School.

The first official break is at Christmas. (Intro Week + 12 wks down the line at Sheffield).

You may get departmental reading weeks where there are no lectures - but be warned that seminar groups/tutorials MAY be.

See how your timetable pans out, you could get lucky with it, and you might be able to collar a bed for the occasional weekend if your mum can't get used to you being away from home for 12 week blocks at a time.

The good news is that Easter is early this coming academic year, some 3 weeks earlier than 2003/4.

ReputationRep:
    thanks all

ReputationRep:
    Remember that not all universities have a reding week, though. I certainly didn't; but then terms were only 8 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get reading week as I'm a science student, I got Thursday and Friday off the week before everyone else got reading week though, so I had a nice long weekend (though had coursework to hand in on the Friday so it meant I had to actually do it and hand it in early as I wanted to go home, which is the only time I've ever done work early in my life!). Was annoying though as most people chose to go home, so I was the only person left in my block for most of that week (I was the only science student ).

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.