The Student Room Group

I haven't heard back from any of my choices yet (EU student)

Hey :smile:

I'm an Austrian student currently finishing my qualification at home and I would really like to continue my higher education in the UK.

I've applied to these universities

Edinburgh

St. Andrews

Glasgow

Aberdeen

Dundee

for the courses "International relations", "Social Anthropology" and a combination.

But so far I haven't heard back from any of my choices! Judging from what I've read in TSR (so I may be wrong about that, but I don't know anyone who applies for a British university personally), that seems very unusual and almost everyone seems to have at least gotten one offer!

Is there anyone else in my situation?

Do I need to worry that there might have been a mistake with my application?

Is it possible that it takes longer because as an international student, I take different qualifications?

When can I expect to hear back?

Sorry, to bother you with my questions, I'm just really nervous right now...

Hope you have a nice day! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by MarliesMaria
Hey :smile:

I'm an Austrian student currently finishing my qualification at home and I would really like to continue my higher education in the UK.

I've applied to these universities

Edinburgh

St. Andrews

Glasgow

Aberdeen

Dundee

for the courses "International relations", "Social Anthropology" and a combination.

But so far I haven't heard back from any of my choices! Judging from what I've read in TSR (so I may be wrong about that, but I don't know anyone who applies for a British university personally), that seems very unusual and almost everyone seems to have at least gotten one offer!

Is there anyone else in my situation?

Do I need to worry that there might have been a mistake with my application?

Is it possible that it takes longer because as an international student, I take different qualifications?

When can I expect to hear back?

Sorry, to bother you with my questions, I'm just really nervous right now...

Hope you have a nice day! :smile:

When did you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alternatively, you only applied to Scottish universities.

It's quite normal for the long responses, as competition for the course is also another factor to futher delay the offer.
I hope you know applying to St. Andrews for anthropology is the same as applying to LSE for Economics = bloody tough.

1) Is there anyone else in my situation? - Yes, many.
2) Do I need to worry that there might have been a mistake with my application? No, scottish universities just take their time.
3) Is it possible that it takes longer because as an international student, I take different qualifications? Yes, they need decode the quality of your qualifications.
4) When can I expect to hear back? Late February - March.
I only received my first offer today, (I'm also European) so you're definitely not alone. :smile:
They have until May to respond to applicants. I wouldn't worry.
Reply 5
Original post by Stoke123
Alternatively, you only applied to Scottish universities.

It's quite normal for the long responses, as competition for the course is also another factor to futher delay the offer.
I hope you know applying to St. Andrews for anthropology is the same as applying to LSE for Economics = bloody tough.

1) Is there anyone else in my situation? - Yes, many.
2) Do I need to worry that there might have been a mistake with my application? No, scottish universities just take their time.
3) Is it possible that it takes longer because as an international student, I take different qualifications? Yes, they need decode the quality of your qualifications.
4) When can I expect to hear back? Late February - March.

Thanks for your response, it helps me a lot! I do know that some of my choices are very hard to get into, but I pass the entry requirements and did some extra curricular activities that will hopefully make my application more appealing. Since I do have a secure place at an Austrian university basically all of my choices are "dream schools" so yeah, I would be thrilled if it worked out :smile:

Thanks again, I'm glad to learn that Scottish universities just tend to take longer
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
When did you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Before the deadline in the beginning of January
Be patient, you'll hear back from them soon enough! I got my first offer from Glasgow just today!
Reply 8
Original post by silviamartha
Be patient, you'll hear back from them soon enough! I got my first offer from Glasgow just today!

Congrats! I was especially worried about Glasgow since they appear to be rather fast. But you're right, I guess I have to be patient...

What course did you apply for?
Original post by historicallytes
What course did you apply for?

I applied for English literature. :smile:
Reply 11
Before the deadline in the beginning of January

The average wait is 7 weeks...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
The average wait is 7 weeks...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good to know :smile: See it's rather hard to determine what an average application process looks like if you live in environment completely unfamiliar with the British education system. College admission works very differently in Austria and I had to figure out most things on my own, which is why it appeared likely to me that I may have made a mistake in my application. But I'm glad to hear that the waiting period is not unusually long in my case!
I applied for English literature. :smile:

Congratulations! :biggrin:
I just received an offer from Glasgow :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: Guess it really was about being patient after all... Thank you guys again for your answers :smile:
I just received an offer from Glasgow :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: Guess it really was about being patient after all... Thank you guys again for your answers :smile:

I'm so happy for you!
By the way, I just realised that my uni choices are exactly the same as yours, except for Edinburgh! Best of luck! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending