Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, so I'm mid way through the application process to join the RAF and currently awaiting feedback from my medical. I firstly applied as an aircraft technician but was told that the position was full and I could be waiting a long time to get this position. I was then directed towards the similar role of Weapons Technician. Reading up on this it sounded good and I liked the idea of working around weapons but heard that postings could be boring? I recently received an email that said they were accepting for Aircraft Technicians again but don't know which role will be best for me, can anyone give any insight on both roles for me?

ReputationRep:
    Can you elaborate on "heard postings can be boring"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FattyHater)
    Can you elaborate on "heard postings can be boring"?
    Such as just working in an armoury? Some aspects of the role sound good but don't want to commit to something to find out I could be in a boring line of work because I definitely don't want that

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry mate but with whatever role you choose there will be always be "boring postings." There will always be admin or paperwork to be done, and you're just going to have to get used to the fact that you're going to be told what to do and when to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FattyHater)
    I'm sorry mate but with whatever role you choose there will be always be "boring postings." There will always be admin or paperwork to be done, and you're just going to have to get used to the fact that you're going to be told what to do and when to do it.
    Yeah fully understand that there'll be admin work in both roles, just wondered which would be best suited to me, thanks for the reply though mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamlindsay)
    Yeah fully understand that there'll be admin work in both roles, just wondered which would be best suited to me, thanks for the reply though mate
    Without wanting to sound too condescending, we don't know you, so couldn't possibly say which you'd prefer.
    It's a decision that only you can make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Without wanting to sound too condescending, we don't know you, so couldn't possibly say which you'd prefer.
    It's a decision that only you can make.
    Yeah I suppose each individual would take to the jobs differently, I do need to make my own mind up but just can't for the life of me decide which? Think I'm gonna take another trip to the AFCO and have a talk with them about it see if I can get a better understanding about each and where they'll take me

ReputationRep:
    I was an AMM for 14 months on Typhoons and am now back in phase 3 at Cosford. If you have any questions about the job, I'd be ore than happy to answer.

ReputationRep:
    Would you not be a technician? They have loads of jets just lying about like hundreds over the place that would be interesting. Better than any job in the police lol those Hawks that you think are small are massive the eurofoghters are larger than double decker buses lol so cool

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.