Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We all got the same feedback...but different grades? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Just wanted some opinions on this scenario. 2nd Year HSS student -Recently received grades and feedback for an assignment. We were all looking at our feedback and noticed it was word for word the same and we're pretty gutted about it...it doesn't make sense for us to have the same generic, non-constructive feedback and different grades. It seems like they picked our grades out of a hat.

So we've made contact with our first marker, academic advisor and the people who run our course and they've sent us in circles...saying the same thing 'contact your first marker' stuff. We're not requesting that our grades be changed we just want an explanation as to what's gone on here.
    It makes me question whether any of my grades are real, like could I just submit anything and nobody would actually care?!

Should I take this further? as In to the university chancellors...etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pompom2564)
    Hi all,

Just wanted some opinions on this scenario. 2nd Year HSS student -Recently received grades and feedback for an assignment. We were all looking at our feedback and noticed it was word for word the same and we're pretty gutted about it...it doesn't make sense for us to have the same generic, non-constructive feedback and different grades. It seems like they picked our grades out of a hat.

So we've made contact with our first marker, academic advisor and the people who run our course and they've sent us in circles...saying the same thing 'contact your first marker' stuff. We're not requesting that our grades be changed we just want an explanation as to what's gone on here.
    It makes me question whether any of my grades are real, like could I just submit anything and nobody would actually care?!

Your Student Union should be representing you. Going to them should raise this above department level. You may find department management more helpful if higher uni management are at risk of finding out.

(Original post by pompom2564)
      Hi all,

There's probably few differences between your work and your colleague work which obviously does affect the grade but not necessarily have to be specified in feedback, same thing happened to me last year. We all had to produce certain work that was based on provided specification, those who have submitted exceptional work received better grade at the end of submission, however based on the feedback it was the same since most of us made one major mistake which had to be addressed and dealt with asap. Also, something to mention while I am here is that you not always receive feedback for the partial work you have submitted. For instance, if you're aiming high, you may need to consider what the tutors are looking for, i.e. Last semester I received no feedback at all because it was a "well produced" coursework and tutors believed that there is no need to provide any feedback , yet it was not the highest score one could achieve (e.g. 95/100). And so during my meeting with my tutor, I did ask few questions with regards to feedback and they mentioned few minor things that could be better but that's just a personal preference such as favourite colours, etc.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.