Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do all universities do interviews? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I thought that they very rarely did apart from Oxbridge and other London universities like UCL and Imperial but one of my friends has got interviews for Bath, Birmingham, Nottingham and one other Uni. He is doing graphics so I'm not sure if it's only because he has to bring a portfolio in.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by Samii123)
    I thought that they very rarely did apart from Oxbridge and other London universities like UCL and Imperial but one of my friends has got interviews for Bath, Birmingham, Nottingham and one other Uni. He is doing graphics so I'm not sure if it's because he has to bring a portfolio in.
    Some universities interview mostly to gauge your interest in the course and to convince you to choose their university. They might also lower your offer conditions based on interview performance. Some universities conduct Skype interviews to ensure that International Students are capable of speaking fluent English. So Oxbridge and London unis are not the only ones that conduct interviews.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Even unis like Derby interview. It is largely subject dependent. Particularly taxing degrees such as Nursing interview, as well as degrees such as the arts which require much more than just a personal statement

ReputationRep:
    I thought that they very rarely did apart from Oxbridge and other London universities like UCL and Imperial but one of my friends has got interviews for Bath, Birmingham, Nottingham and one other Uni. He is doing graphics so I'm not sure if it's only because he has to bring a portfolio in.
    As wolfmoon88 says, lots of unis interview for different reasons and different candidates. I think Oxbridge is unusual in that it interviews all applicants, but interviews are still a routine part of admission for lots of other unis too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Some universities interview mostly to gauge your interest in the course and to convince you to choose their university. They might also lower your offer conditions based on interview performance. Some universities conduct Skype interviews to ensure that International Students are capable of speaking fluent English. So Oxbridge and London unis are not the only ones that conduct interviews.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you know how often universities ask for interviews for engineering related courses, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know how often universities ask for interviews for engineering related courses, thanks.
    It's hard to be generalist about this. I think the best way to answer your question is for you to assemble a list of unis you're interested in and see if they answer this question on their 'undergraduate applications' pages - most are very transparent about the interview process.

ReputationRep:
    hardly unless its Cambridge,oxford or Durham.
    I'm taking maths and got none so I dont think they care about our personality just our ability to do the ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    It's hard to be generalist about this. I think the best way to answer your question is for you to assemble a list of unis you're interested in and see if they answer this question on their 'undergraduate applications' pages - most are very transparent about the interview process.
    (Original post by Dafock)
    I'm taking maths and got none so I dont think they care about our personality just our ability to do the ****
    Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help, much appreciated!
    You're welcome. Good luck with your application and there's always people here who can give you good advice!

ReputationRep:
    Some do, some don't, but there really isn't much to worry about. At least one well-regarded engineering department asks candidates to interview and gives everyone that attends the interview an offer (but none of those that don't). Others just want to see you and they ask nothing that is particularly testing.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

To add to this, some unis also list whether they require interviews for your given subject on UCAS so check that as well. It is also a case by case basis a lot of the times so I wouldn't worry too much if they offer you an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome. Good luck with your application and there's always people here who can give you good advice!
    Thanks! I'm gonna be applying by the end of this year with hopefully good AS and predicted grades.

To add to this, some unis also list whether they require interviews for your given subject on UCAS so check that as well. It is also a case by case basis a lot of the times so I wouldn't worry too much if they offer you an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, thanks for the help!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few will invite you to an applicants day, or a nominal interview, but it's quite rare to be asked taxing questions during said interview or for them (the university) to put much weight on it, relative to your grades. And from what I have seen - mainly via TSR as I was not required to attend any interviews back when I applied - many of the questions they will ask will be related to material and content you will have already covered in maths and physics.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Engineering has a reasonably high chance of interview, but unless it's Oxbridge or Imperial it will not be a tough academic interview. In fact if you are called for interview you are 99% likely to get an offer, and it's really more of an opportunity for the university to persuade *you* to choose *them*.

Don't let interviews put you off applying.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Thanks! I'm gonna be applying by the end of this year with hopefully good AS and predicted grades.

Ok, thanks for the help!
    No problem, good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dafock)
    Many universities interview for engineering including, and by no means limited to, Loughborough.

(Edit: I had also listed Bath and Surrey but on double checking, they don't have a "formal" interview.)
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by jneill)
    Many universities interview for engineering including, and by no means limited to, Loughborough, Surrey, Bath.
    Manchester to add to that list

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Manchester to add to that list

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, there's probably more that do than don't for engineering. But unless you turn up and smack the interviewer in the left ear you're almost certainly getting an offer.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by jneill)
    Yes, there's probably more that do than don't for engineering. But unless you turn up and smack the interviewer in the left ear you're almost certainly getting an offer.
    Or show a complete disinterest in the course/subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Or show a complete disinterest in the course/subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, true.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.