Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How is your post graduate employment applications going? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I feel as though I have applied to as many schemes as possible near to where I live. I'm currently waiting for 2 assessment centre days and a telephone interview and been rejected by 1. I also did not continue with my ALDI application after video interview as I asked around local ALDI stores about the scheme and realised it was not for me.

How is everyone else doing with looking for jobs and how far are you in the process?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I got my graduate job before I graduated from university. I sent in about 7 or 8 applications, got rejected from all but 1, which I accepted.

ReputationRep:
    I've done better than expected. Applied relatively early, was offered 3 before Christmas - one of which was a company I wanted to work with from first year; a dream come true some might say.

Have rejected a further 3 assessment centres and will hear back from the other ones I've applied to in the coming months I'd imagine.

I got rejected from a few too of course - but it only takes one yes. I guess my advantage was they I wasn't too fussed where I'd end living!

ReputationRep:
    I only applied to graduate schemes after graduation, although I haven't had even a week out of employment since graduating. I applied to maybe around 10 - and later realised that 5 I no longer wanted as my career aspirations changed so I withdrew some applications and was rejected from a few (I didn't have relevant experience and didn't know much about the field so fair enough). I was only rejected from 1-2 schemes that I REALLY wanted to do.

In December I got a full time job after 2 internships, and got promoted within 3 weeks, not on a grad scheme but in a company I wanted to work for (and applied to their scheme!). I am now working alongside someone who has already done 2 years on the grad scheme! After getting the job I withdrew my applications from another 2 graduate schemes (including for the company I'd already progressed in). So now I only have 2 graduate schemes withstanding. I've just interviewed for one, and had an assessment centre for the other. For the latter, I got a really good impression of the company through the AC, and would definitely take the job if offered (although might try and start later to spend more time in my current role). The former I didn't get a great impression of, but the scheme offers really good progression so I would probably still take it...

So a mixed bag really! But I've learnt 3 things: not to waste time applying to schemes you don't want; graduate jobs come in all forms and you can get a graduate level role and work your way up even if it's not part of a scheme (although this is only really applicable for those who have already graduated as they tend to want an immediate start); and lastly, not to panic too much if you don't get offers before christmas - as the 2 schemes I really wanted only offered my interviews after December!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roflcakes1)
    So a mixed bag really! But I've learnt 3 things: not to waste time applying to schemes you don't want; graduate jobs come in all forms and you can get a graduate level role and work your way up even if it's not part of a scheme (although this is only really applicable for those who have already graduated as they tend to want an immediate start); and lastly, not to panic too much if you don't get offers before christmas - as the 2 schemes I really wanted only offered my interviews after December!
    I'm always amazed how many people don't know this. That's how I got my first graduate role and it's the same for a lot of people I know who work in all kinds of sectors from IT to investment banking.

The actual % of graduates who get on to a scheme is very low as they're so competitive.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I've had 2 offers, and accepted the second

I'd apply to as many as possible, as it gives you experience of the process etc. And if you get to interview you might like one you didn't think you would, and vice versa!

ReputationRep:
    Well done guys on your successes! I graduated with a degree in Pharmacology in 2016 but I have been very unsuccessfully finding an entry level role, talk less of a graduate scheme! Still looking !So thank you for creating this forum, everyone's success has definitely encouraged me

ReputationRep:
    I graduated last summer and am still chasing to get my first full time job since graduating university. Am just doing low paid part time work at moment and job hunting and applying. I got a telephone interview today and hopeful get invited for assessment day on Friday, fingers crossed

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.