Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am very undecided between RVC, Liverpool, Bristol and Surrey for Vet Med. They are all very different and have their pros and cons but I'm really struggling to choose between them!

Could anyone who goes to any of these unis tell me the good, bad and ugly of them - feel free to PM me if you like.

Any advice to help me make my decision would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Bry Bry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bry Bry)
    Hi all,

I am very undecided between RVC, Liverpool, Bristol and Surrey for Vet Med. They are all very different and have their pros and cons but I'm really struggling to choose between them!

Could anyone who goes to any of these unis tell me the good, bad and ugly of them - feel free to PM me if you like.

Thank you

Bry Bry
    Have you all the offers? If not, I'd wait weighing up until I've received word back on all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana fana)
    Have you all the offers? If not, I'd wait weighing up until I've received word back on all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, I have been very lucky and do have offers from all of them :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have been very lucky and do have offers from all of them :-)
    WOW! CONGRATULATIONS 🎊
    Lol can't help you though sorrt

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Thank you

Bry Bry
    Hi there I'm a current vet student at the RVC, I am intercalating so currently in my 3rd year of 6. I personally loved the RVC before interview, it was always my first choice and I was just lucky to get an offer from them. Personally for me I liked that the RVC is tailored to how I prefer to study. You need to pick the course and university that suits your learning style. Personally, I like the group teaching at the RVC, I like that clinical is interwoven with basic principles and I like the strand system where you revisit the same systems pretty much every year. It is a more expensive choice in terms of accommodation but I have really liked that the first two years there were huge opportunities that come with living in london. Now the next 4 years will be cheaper as Hawkshead is less expensive . All the courses will be fairly similar across the unis so unless you have specific questions it is difficult to compare them as they are all brilliant! But I just recommend that you pick the university you felt most comfortable at during the interviews and open days. Please feel free to private message me if you have any questions and I will try to reply as soon as possible! Schedule is kind of crazy at the moment . Congratulations on your offers and I hope you make the right choice for you.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool

The good
    - clinical ems from first year, means you can work in clinical practice for your ems from the very beginning, good for building up trust and a relationship within practices.
    - liverpool is great as a city, loads to do, locals are lovely and everything is in one place, loads of buses so easy to get around
    - not too expensive to live, nice new accommodation for first year and then plenty of houses for second and third year
    - leahurst - we have a smallies referral as well as first opinion practice, Large animal practice and the massive equine practice - all of which you do rotations in during 4th and 5th year when you are based on the Wirral
    - clinical skills from year 1-3. You get given skills to learn and practice within the brand new veterinary teaching suite which is good practice and you can go on to use these skills when you do your ems during holiday time.

The bad (not really bad but there isn't really anything bad!)
    - if you like your rural areas you do have to travel in years 1-3 as you're based in liverpool city. When you get to 4th and 5th year you're on the Wirral so lots of rural areas however
    - pretty large year size, however it's similar at the other universities so I can't really say it that bad, and you're split up into smaller groups for practicals and TBL sessions

There aren't any 'ugly' points for me really, same as bad. I love the place and I love the course so it's really difficult to find bad points. I feel liverpool is good for actual practical experience and enabling you to be more confident when you do your ems, and all the lecturers are really supportive. Picking a uni is a personal choice to be honest so you've got to make your mind up yourself, no-one can do it for you. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else however I haven't experienced the other universities!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions at all about liverpool I'll be happy to answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.