Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When I did my S1 exam I did everything from the formula book - looking up tables. I've been told that an answer alone without any working gives full marks if it's correct. Now that I've got a better calculator it seems to be a much quicker exam if that's the case.

Is it true? I can't find any info on the past paper front cover to indicate that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maggiehodgson)
    When I did my S1 exam I did everything from the formula book - looking up tables. I've been told that an answer alone without any working gives full marks if it's correct. Now that I've got a better calculator it seems to be a much quicker exam if that's the case.

Is it true? I can't find any info on the past paper front cover to indicate that.
    If it's correct, you will receive full marks unless the question asks you to 'show' a given result or uses a phrase like: 'you must show your working fully'. However, for questions that quite clearly require some working, you will need to show this.

AQA employ people to sit their papers without a calculator to determine what is and what isn't possible. They use this to form their judgement about what can be reasonably done without a calculator.

I would recommend showing some working out though, as calculator slips are likely after multistep processes. I mean a slight error, for example, a rounding error, can just destroy your paper total.

The preamble on the front of the AQA mark scheme states:

Where the question specifically requires a particular method to be used, we must usually see evidence of use of this method for any marks to be awarded.

Where the answer can be reasonably obtained without showing working and it is very unlikely that the correct answer can be obtained by using an incorrect method, we must award full marks. However, the obvious penalty to candidates showing no working is that incorrect answers, however close, earn no marks.

Where a question asks the candidate to state or write down a result, no method need be shown for full marks.

Where the permitted calculator has functions which reasonably allow the solution of the question directly, the correct answer without working earns full marks, unless it is given to less than the degree of accuracy accepted in the mark scheme, when it gains no marks.

Otherwise we require evidence of a correct method for any marks to be awarded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crashMATHS)
    If it's correct, you will receive full marks unless the question asks you to 'show' a given result or uses a phrase like: 'you must show your working fully'. However, for questions that quite clearly require some working, you will need to show this.

AQA employ people to sit their papers without a calculator to determine what is and what isn't possible. They use this to form their judgement about what can be reasonably done without a calculator.

I would recommend showing some working out though, as calculator slips are likely after multistep processes. I mean a slight error, for example, a rounding error, can just destroy your paper total.

The preamble on the front of the AQA mark scheme states:

Where the question specifically requires a particular method to be used, we must usually see evidence of use of this method for any marks to be awarded.

Where the answer can be reasonably obtained without showing working and it is very unlikely that the correct answer can be obtained by using an incorrect method, we must award full marks. However, the obvious penalty to candidates showing no working is that incorrect answers, however close, earn no marks.

Where a question asks the candidate to state or write down a result, no method need be shown for full marks.

Where the permitted calculator has functions which reasonably allow the solution of the question directly, the correct answer without working earns full marks, unless it is given to less than the degree of accuracy accepted in the mark scheme, when it gains no marks.

Otherwise we require evidence of a correct method for any marks to be awarded
    thanks. I am amazed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.