The Student Room Group

English descriptive writing...HELP!

Any tips that'll guarantee a Grade 7 or above in descriptive writing/Narrative...What type of style is required?? Or what devices do i use to obtain a high grade?
Reply 1
Original post by Saintye
Any tips that'll guarantee a Grade 7 or above in descriptive writing/Narrative...What type of style is required?? Or what devices do i use to obtain a high grade?

At least 5 types of punctuation, particularly ellipses (...) are good for a high grade. Good vocabularly will help you but obviously is not something you can do overnight. I recommend revising a mnemonic such as A FOREST for language devices as they will help you to remember to include lots of different techniques within your writing. Vary sentence length as well. Use minor/simple sentences as well as longer complex/compound sentences - I think this one is particularly important as not many people remember to do this.
Reply 2
By using many different poetic devices you can achieve a high grade. By using more ambitious vocabulary will help and if you can, 100% use a thesaurus. As well as vocab, grammar such as parenthesis, semi colons, colons and ellipses look good also. vary your sentence length but make sure to not make it too simple or complex and if you add a minor sentence (1-3 words) it will look good. just make sure not to make it overkill, my English teacher hates it.
When writing, make sure not to overly describe certain things, and use the 5 senses when doing so to give more atmosphere.
I actually can't remember the name of it right now, but a few years ago one of my teachers told me that one-word standalone sentences are quite impactful as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending