The Student Room Group

HELP made things AWKWARD

So I told my guy friend I liked him and he suggested we date each other casually. However I panicked and said I didn't want that. So now it's awkward between us because eventhough I'm the one who confessed I kind of also rejected him in a way? Because he admitted that he's attracted to me too so he's cool with seeing me. But now I've rejected him and we both don't know how to behave around each other. He acts weird around me and I act weird too. So what shall I do? We're both 18 and in our first year of university.
Reply 1
BUMP :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
So I told my guy friend I liked him and he suggested we date each other casually. However I panicked and said I didn't want that. So now it's awkward between us because eventhough I'm the one who confessed I kind of also rejected him in a way? Because he admitted that he's attracted to me too so he's cool with seeing me. But now I've rejected him and we both don't know how to behave around each other. He acts weird around me and I act weird too. So what shall I do? We're both 18 and in our first year of university.

Just talk to him, and be upfront about everything.
Reply 3
Original post by an_atheist
Just talk to him, and be upfront about everything.

We agreed to not talk about it anymore, but we would still friends. Now he just acts odd though I really don't know how to mention it to him :frown:
We agreed to not talk about it anymore, but we would still friends. Now he just acts odd though I really don't know how to mention it to him :frown:

Maybe thats why things are awkward? Just talk about it. Bottling things up will not help either of you.

Do you love him?
Reply 6
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Do you love him?

Well I like him. I think he's attractive and I care about him. I'm not in love with him YET...
Reply 7
Maybe thats why things are awkward? Just talk about it. Bottling things up will not help either of you.

It feel like he doesn't want to talk about it anymore? But maybe it's because I said I didn't want to...I've just ruined everything.
It feel like he doesn't want to talk about it anymore? But maybe it's because I said I didn't want to...I've just ruined everything.

Taking a step back for a sec, if he asked you out right now, what would you say?
you said you panicked in the OP. Have you tried explaining this to him?

BUMP :frown:

Well I like him. I think he's attractive and I care about him. I'm not in love with him YET...

SO FIX THINGS THEN!

be honest and tell him it was just awkward for you and you didnt know how to respond at first cos you didnt want to make any mistakes, heck if youre scared he wont believe you then just give him the link to this thread!

If he seems like he's made up his mind then don't bother, you've blown it so just move on. Otherwise if he seems like he still may have interest (like he glances at you etc...) then just have a chat with him, face to face and be honest that you just get really nervous and sh!t yourself. The fact that you both agreed not to talk about it doesn't really help.

I would leave it, seems like its over now.
Reply 11
I can only help you MAKE things more awkward :redface:
Taking a step back for a sec, if he asked you out right now, what would you say?
you said you panicked in the OP. Have you tried explaining this to him?

Yeah I would say yes because I realised how stupid I was saying no :frown:
Original post by ForestShadow
SO FIX THINGS THEN!

be honest and tell him it was just awkward for you and you didnt know how to respond at first cos you didnt want to make any mistakes, heck if youre scared he wont believe you then just give him the link to this thread!
thanks a lot for the response :redface:
I will try and start a conversation with him. I'm just nervous.
If he seems like he's made up his mind then don't bother, you've blown it so just move on. Otherwise if he seems like he still may have interest (like he glances at you etc...) then just have a chat with him, face to face and be honest that you just get really nervous and sh!t yourself. The fact that you both agreed not to talk about it doesn't really help.

I would leave it, seems like its over now.

Well he keeps staring at me. It's weird. He just keeps looking. When he walks into a room he'll just look at me and be all awkward. Whenever I turn I catch him glancing at me. But the fact that he's glancing at me I highly doubt it means anything.

Well he keeps staring at me. It's weird. He just keeps looking. When he walks into a room he'll just look at me and be all awkward. Whenever I turn I catch him glancing at me. But the fact that he's glancing at me I highly doubt it means anything.

where on earth is self doubt going to get you?

maybe the glance means he loves you until the world ends or maybe it means hes trying to see something behind you just talk to him please! its killing him I bet cos youre the one who kinda pushed him away.....

I know youre nervous but stuttering and talking nervously to him is better than the potentially weeks or months of regret when you see him everyday or even worse when he moves on and gets a gf....

Okay then. You said you panicked when he suggested casually dating, I take it from this you want a more serious relationship? Tell him so, and that that is what drove your response, not because you were rejecting him

Thats good. Worst thing that happens is he says no, and you ave to move on with your life.

He sounds like he's nervous. He is still interested in you from the sounds of it. He probably just has no idea how to go about approaching you (I've been in a similar position a couple of times).
(edited 7 years ago)

Lol sounds like he still likes you, to be honest you both seem really nervous. I'd say, have a convo with him and just let out your feelings and your nervousness, chances are that he'd say the same about being nervous. Take things from there, if he says he is no longer interested then take the hint and move on.
Uncertainty sucks. Communication produces certainty. So talk.

Maybe you should say those words to him
Original post by ForestShadow
where on earth is self doubt going to get you?

maybe the glance means he loves you until the world ends or maybe it means hes trying to see something behind you just talk to him please! its killing him I bet cos youre the one who kinda pushed him away.....

I know youre nervous but stuttering and talking nervously to him is better than the potentially weeks or months of regret when you see him everyday or even worse when he moves on and gets a gf....

Yeah you're right. I need to man up and talk to him. I mean chances are he wants to talk about it too. :redface:
Okay then. You said you panicked when he suggested casually dating, I take it from this you want a more serious relationship? Tell him so, and that that is what drove your response, not because you were rejecting him

Thats good. Worst thing that happens is he says no, and you ave to move on with your life.

He sounds like he's nervous. He is still interested in you from the sounds of it. He probably just has no idea how to go about approaching you (I've been in a similar position a couple of times).

I don't mind casually dating him. I don't think it's what drove me away. I just panicked in general.
Lol sounds like he still likes you, to be honest you both seem really nervous. I'd say, have a convo with him and just let out your feelings and your nervousness, chances are that he'd say the same about being nervous. Take things from there, if he says he is no longer interested then take the hint and move on.

Yeah I'm gonna do this! I'll talk to him when I see him next. Thanks a lot. All I can do is just hope he's still interested in me somewhat. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending