PSYCHOLOGY is NOT easy. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Surfing Hamster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
After a recent comment in a the Sun, I'd just like to say that Psychology is not an "easier option", in fact, I find it more difficult that Business Studies and Computing. There's much more facts, figures, dates, names and so forth you must learn (and then apply them) - if people think it's a dossers A/AS Level they should try it for themselves.

*moans*
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Surfing Hamster)
After a recent comment in a the Sun, I'd just like to say that Psychology is not an "easier option", in fact, I find it more difficult that Business Studies and Computing. There's much more facts, figures, dates, names and so forth you must learn (and then apply them) - if people think it's a dossers A/AS Level they should try it for themselves.

*moans*
i think it's harder than economics and maths as well. there is always so much information on every topic- examples of research, the year, the method, the validity + there will be about 5 of these for every little topic. then you have to apply this to the question and evaluate it for validity + ethics. it really is not an easy option.

lou xxx
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago

*moans*

I don't think psycology is an "easy pass" by any means but there are definitely other more difficult courses out there that it. I can understand why the government is worried by the increased uptake of so called "easy subjects" though. Lets face it, some people (I know a fair few) do pick thier college programme in a way that means they have a better chance of getting nice University friendly grades (i.e avoiding maths like the plague)!!!
It'sPhil...
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Surely difficulty is subjective, and everyone has a different opinion on its difficulty. I think I would find it a lot harder than maths or physics, because im rubbish at remembering facts, and rubbish at essays. What was the reason the Sun called it easy? maybe it has a really high pass rate implying that the majority of people find it not to hard
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by It'sPhil...)
Surely difficulty is subjective, and everyone has a different opinion on its difficulty. I think I would find it a lot harder than maths or physics, because im rubbish at remembering facts, and rubbish at essays. What was the reason the Sun called it easy? maybe it has a really high pass rate implying that the majority of people find it not to hard
The pass rate is high for psycology but I don't think it is astronomical or anything like that. Difficulty is definetely subjective but I think that GENERALLY people find psycology much easier than Maths. If you were to look at the number of people who drop maths after AS, it is FAR greater than those who drop psycology after AS (dispite more people taking up psycology in the first place).

Im not suggesting that it is easy (far from it) but Im saying that it is easier than other courses that are shyed away from by some people...
loftx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The easy-ness of a subject really depends on the type of person who's doing it right. I do well at maths and physics becuase they are much more calculation based but would find somthing like english or a forign language a nightmare.

Phycology does sound an interesting subject though - I think most people would prefer to study phycology, business studies or law just becuase they are more interesting than the normal maths/science/english.

That's my opinion, but on the subject of phycology - it sounds really hard - most people are likely to already know some maths english and science from pre-gcse but no-one knows phycology.
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Er...who cares what 'The Sun' says? How can they make assessments about what is an 'easy' A' level? The vocabulary used by that paper is that of an average nine year old. This was not intended to be a snobby post, but people work hard to gain good A' level grades and to have a crappy rag suggest that a subject you enjoy is inferior is a bit much.
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
(Original post by loftx)
The easy-ness of a subject really depends on the type of person who's doing it right. I do well at maths and physics becuase they are much more calculation based but would find somthing like english or a forign language a nightmare.

Phycology does sound an interesting subject though - I think most people would prefer to study phycology, business studies or law just becuase they are more interesting than the normal maths/science/english.

That's my opinion, but on the subject of phycology - it sounds really hard - most people are likely to already know some maths english and science from pre-gcse but no-one knows phycology.
Exactly! After school, studying 'conventional' subjects, I wanted a new challenge - Business Studies and Psychology seemed to offer me that. This is the reason I chose them, along with the fact I believed they had more practical relevance to the career I wanted to persue.
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hey
What board did you lot do? Im planning on doing OCR in a year...(just done my A Levels)...as a back up to some resits Im doing. It seems really interesting and if anyone has done the OCR course please get in touch...
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
(Original post by mjf)
Hey
What board did you lot do? Im planning on doing OCR in a year...(just done my A Levels)...as a back up to some resits Im doing. It seems really interesting and if anyone has done the OCR course please get in touch...
I'm with AQA, but as to whtehr you'll find it interesting, I guess it's just a matter of personal taste.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm with AQA, but as to whtehr you'll find it interesting, I guess it's just a matter of personal taste.
i'm with AQA as well. apparently the coursework for OCR isn't as good because they do several pieces instead of 1 and then examine you on it (that's what I was told anyway).
cjay87
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
i think it's harder than economics and maths as well. there is always so much information on every topic- examples of research, the year, the method, the validity + there will be about 5 of these for every little topic. then you have to apply this to the question and evaluate it for validity + ethics. it really is not an easy option.

lou xxx
Hi I'm a new member my name is cjay87 aka ChArLie...Is Phycology really that hard...Do u need a v.good grade in maths to...Do Phycology what qualifications do u need...? Can u please reply as I'm thinking about taking Phycology...but I'm **** at maths practicaly failed my gcse in Maths...U can reply on this form...but can u send a message to my email address as soon as possible incase... I dont check the form thanks you I hope u can help me......?

Post your replys on the form...
poweraz
Report 15 years ago
psychology is most definately not easy. I did it along with my biology and chemistry a-levels in 2002 and come exam time - revision was hell. To give u an idea, based on the aqa syallabus, I worked out i had to memorise about 40 short essays for my exams and they only test u on about 10 - but becuz u dont which ones - u have to make sure u memorise all 40. Think about that - 40...
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
my results speak for them selves.

A in maths
C in psychology

and i did twice if not 3 times more work for psychology!

love Katy ***
Icarus
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
my results speak for them selves.

A in maths
C in psychology

and i did twice if not 3 times more work for psychology!

love Katy ***
I spent much longer (at least five times as much) on Maths than my other two subjects, but at the end I still got a D compared to A and B.
Flakker
Report 15 years ago
I only did psychology up to As level, to be brutally honest it was incredibly easy compared to the likes of physics, maths or even computing. Fine, there are a fair few facts to remember but thats it. There are no taxing questions or difficult concepts, there is no real application of knowledge as the questions are so leading its unbelieveable. Its just one big memory test.
I found it incredible that the research covered passed as science, most studies were scientifically unsound in the most outrageous ways, its hard to believe this is considered a science! Worst of all, we were told to answer all questions 'objectively'. Which basically meant we couldn't give our own opinion! Just regourgate all that you've read and it will be fine.
A friend of mine did a science AVCE, and took psych AS in his first year as a "filler". He too found it very simple, and quite pathetic compared to his main area of study. In fact we spent some time ripping the easy A-level students, cos there definately are large gaps in difficulty between certain subjects.
Chris
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (123)
18.36%
No (406)
60.6%
Not really bothered about them (141)
21.04%

Watched Threads