Turn on thread page Beta

How old were your parents when they had you? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    I dont think there is such a thing as a part time parent. Once you become a parent you're a parent for life. Children aren't just for Christmas.
    Filling out an application and getting a licence would weed out anyone who is incompetent and irresponsible as well as people with inheritable conditions.
    What about those of us who didn't know we had an inheritable condition? I found out I had an inheritable condition when my eldest son was diagnosed when he was 16 and I had had another two children after him (who have also inherited it)

I can tell you now that the guilt I feel is absolutely enormous and they of course can see where their future will be going. Unfortunately it appears I married and had children with another carrier of the condition, so they all got a double dose and consequently, they are developing problems way before I did. Eldest son was told he would be in a wheelchair by his mid twenties, he is now 23, needs to use a stick from time to time (and should use it more) and hoping to beat the prediction.

I was 39 before needing a stick, 40 before I needed a wheelchair but have suffered problems all my life but which had all been put down to living life too fast/doing too much etc.

As for the rest, I didn't do conventional parenting (I did proactive rather than reactive which was seen by some as namby pamby, irresponsible, not the done thing etc) so I doubt I would have passed an application to be a parent. Don't think I have done too badly though, 2 at university, 1 going this September, not wild children, very respectful, kind, polite, well adjusted and helpful adults.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not sure exactly, but in their mid 20s

around 23, idk how old they are :/

ReputationRep:
    Mum was 19, dad was 33...😅

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazysue1)
    What about those of us who didn't know we had an inheritable condition? I found out I had an inheritable condition when my eldest son was diagnosed when he was 16 and I had had another two children after him (who have also inherited it)

hopefully in the future we will be able to screen people for inheritable conditions. I have a heart murmur that was passed to me from someone in the family. I don't know who has it but none of my relatives has been tested. and this is exactly the sort of thing we should be able to prevent. I will not be having any children for this very reason.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I would always lie about my parents age gap but my dad was 45 and my mum was reaching 27 😊 (I'm the middle sibling)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.