Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I'm starting a doctorate in law at McGill University in September, having an LLB at Aberdeen and an LLM at Edinburgh and worked a bit, and so am thinking of trying to get a legal job in either Canada or the US when I finish.

Seeing as I will be in North America for the next 3/4 years, I was wondering whether anyone thought it was possible for someone in my situation to get a job at a law firm either in Toronto or alternatively in New York? Given the fact I'm doing commercial law, specifically arbitration, they seem the best candidates. Qualifying in Quebec doesn't seem realistic given that I have nowhere near the required level of French.

I know there are a couple of threads on here about this subject and realise the US has issues resolving around immigration and the hypercompetitive legal market whilst Canada's legal market is also very saturated. I'm hoping that in the latter case spending 3/4 years at McGill and possibly taking the required conversion courses there might count for something.

I know it's a few years way but it would be nice to get a feel for things early on so I know how much to throw myself into chasing work experience with law firms etc...

Cheers
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    NY will be very difficult without the combination of a JD and the right to work in the US.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    NY will be very difficult without the combination of a JD and the right to work in the US.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, so I've heard. Just trying to see what people think.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend pursuing the JD program at University of Toronto. They place a considerable number of their students in NY offices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden436)
    I recommend pursuing the JD program at University of Toronto. They place a considerable number of their students in NY offices.
    Thanks, the one issue with that is that I don't hugely want to do another 3 years of studying haha. Although I suppose I could do a JD or advanced standing or something in the US. Do you think Canadian universities generally are good for that or is it just Toronto?

ReputationRep:
    Send your credentials off to the NCA and get your credentials evaluated. They'll tell you how many exams you'll need to take to get a certificate showing you have the equivalent education and then you can apply to and take a Canadian bar. I've heard the Ontario one is remarkably easy in comparison to the American ones.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.