Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stuck between University of Nottingham/Southampton Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am stuck between the 2 Universities to do Engineering. Can anyone help give me pros and cons between the 2 Universities?
    Many Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Which Engineering course is this for? I'd say Southampton is much more reputable than Nottingham in terms of their engineering departments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIncredibleZ)
    Which Engineering course is this for? I'd say Southampton is much more reputable than Nottingham in terms of their engineering departments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Structural
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIncredibleZ)
    I'd say Southampton is much more reputable than Nottingham in terms of their engineering departments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm, I don't really think there is anything between them.

ReputationRep:
    Southampton's engineering course has an amazing reputation - I'm sure Nottingham does as well, but engineering is really what Southampton uni is renowned for. It's its best course, has the best facilities etc.

But congrats to you on having 2 such amazing offers!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    Southampton's engineering course has an amazing reputation - I'm sure Nottingham does as well, but engineering is really what Southampton uni is renowned for. It's its best course, has the best facilities etc.

But congrats to you on having 2 such amazing offers!
    Not trying to diss Southampton, but I've never really heard this outside of TSR. I'm sure they're both fine universities, and that one of the biggest factors in the decision will be things like the location, and how much they (the applicant) felt like they liked the departments.

ReputationRep:
    This all depends on which engineering course you are going for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glib)
    Structural
    Is that a postgrad course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Is that a postgrad course?
    No, should have really said civil and structural
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by Smack)
    Not trying to diss Southampton, but I've never really heard this outside of TSR. I'm sure they're both fine universities, and that one of the biggest factors in the decision will be things like the location, and how much they (the applicant) felt like they liked the departments.
    I think it is more of an "international" thing. In Asia, Southampton is definitely more reputable than Nottingham in engineering. (But honestly, they are both great universities so personal preference matters more anyways...)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.