Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What would the dot & cross diagram be like for CN-? I have done an OCR question on this and the structure does not include any dative covalent bond. Name:  ion.png
Views: 203
Size:  16.0 KB This is the answer from the mark scheme but I don't get how carbon will be gaining that electron when the negative sign is next to N. Also I searched this up but found that this ion involves a dative covalent bond.

Help?

Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    What would the dot & cross diagram be like for CN-? I have done an OCR question on this and the structure does not include any dative covalent bond. Name:  ion.png
Views: 203
Size:  16.0 KB This is the answer from the mark scheme but I don't get how carbon will be gaining that electron when the negative sign is next to N. Also I searched this up but found that this ion involves a dative covalent bond.

Help?

Thanks
    The "correct" structure does not differentiate between the electrons from the carbon, the nitrogen or the negative charge, after all they are all just electrons.

Three shared pairs and two lone pairs. The carbon has a formal charge of -1.

You can draw the structure with a dative bond, but you can also draw it without (as in the diagram).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    The "correct" structure does not differentiate between the electrons from the carbon, the nitrogen or the negative charge, after all they are all just electrons.

Three shared pairs and two lone pairs. The carbon has a formal charge of -1.

You can draw the structure with a dative bond, but you can also draw it without (as in the diagram).

So it is right that carbon is the atom receiving the electron? But why is the negative sign next to N, not C? I sometimes I see -CN. Thanks

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iqra2159)
    ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    So it is right that carbon is the atom receiving the electron? But why is the negative sign next to N, not C? I sometimes I see -CN. Thanks
    You usually write OH-, did you ask the question then, too?

Basically, you have carbon with its six e-, nitrogen with its seven and an extra electron.

Once they're all added together there is no way of knowing which electron started where, there just are sixteen in total. Who cares if you draw your triangle next to the C or N? The important thing is that there is a triple bond and two lone pair and an acknowledgement somewhere that an extra e- was required to make it happen, hence the CN- (or -CN).

Sometimes -OH is written for clarity.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.