Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    okay I'm in a difficult position.
    I've just applied on Physiotherapy but some universities has refused me because I've not any experience in this field.
    UEL has offered me to do Sport and Exercise Science. UEL Seems to be one of the first in sport and it is one of the first in this field. I'm Italian and actually I would not really consider to study here. In my future I see myself in therapy field, this is way I chose physiotherapy.
    So, in your opinion would be an alternative way to achieve my objective of becoming a sport physiotherapist? could be a good idea to accept this offer as "springboard" for my future carrer?
    I look forward to hearing someone as soon as possible.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I would just reapply or study in Italy tbh... in my opinion, UEL isn't really a good uni, not worth moving abroad for tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Never even heard of UEL...

Personally, I would advise perhaps getting a bit of experience then reapplying next year? Did the universities specifically ask for work experience as part of their standard entrance requirements? Do you also have at least the required grades and correct subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimout)
    I would just reapply or study in Italy tbh... in my opinion, UEL isn't really a good uni, not worth moving abroad for tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the next year England will be out of Europe and I think could be different problems to apply there. why do you think it is not a good university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    Never even heard of UEL...

Personally, I would advise perhaps getting a bit of experience then reapplying next year? Did the universities specifically ask for work experience as part of their standard entrance requirements? Do you also have at least the required grades and correct subjects?
    No. They have not asked to reapply next year.
    Yes, Have work experience it's important. I asked saying that I have work experience in "physical education" because my father has this degree.
    I have good requirements with school and I'm also studying for the IELTS exam. Universities wanna work experiences in this field but, unfortunately, in the south of Italy students have really not this opportunities.

I would like to understand if I start with this degree, I will able to change next with
    validation exams???

ReputationRep:
    Then what you could do is take the course for a year, while getting an internship at a Physiotherapy institute to train you in your free time.
    Therefore, since your staying in the UK, you can reapply to a different University within the same year without having the worry about the whole brexit issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stoke123)
    Then what you could do is take the course for a year, while getting an internship at a Physiotherapy institute to train you in your free time.
    Therefore, since your staying in the UK, you can reapply to a different University within the same year without having the worry about the whole brexit issue.
    ohh, It could be amazing. I will really consider you advice. In UEL website there is written this:

"Your future career
    Our Sport and Exercise Science programme has been running for a number of years now and graduates have been very successful in gaining employment or going on to further study in the following areas;  Strength and Conditioning Coach  Fitness Club Management  Personal Trainer  Sports Coaching (private or community based)  Postgraduate Physiotherapy Training  Sports Development  Community Physical Activity Co-Ordinators  PE Teacher Training  Local Council Appointments
    The success of our students in the sport, exercise and fitness industries means that a number of employers are now former students, providing greater opportunities for current students to

gain work experience along the way."

Postgraduate Physiotherapy Training: I think it is not the same of physiotherapy degree.

This degree don't give great career tbh. What do you think about this?

otherwise could be a good idea refuse this offer and wait about EXTRA universities??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinscos)
    ohh, It could be amazing. I will really consider you advice. In UEL website there is written this:

"Your future career
    Our Sport and Exercise Science programme has been running for a number of years now and graduates have been very successful in gaining employment or going on to further study in the following areas;  Strength and Conditioning Coach  Fitness Club Management  Personal Trainer  Sports Coaching (private or community based)  Postgraduate Physiotherapy Training  Sports Development  Community Physical Activity Co-Ordinators  PE Teacher Training  Local Council Appointments
    The success of our students in the sport, exercise and fitness industries means that a number of employers are now former students, providing greater opportunities for current students to

gain work experience along the way."

Postgraduate Physiotherapy Training: I think it is not the same of physiotherapy degree.

This degree don't give great carrer tbh. What do you think about this?
    What it means without the filter, is after the degree you'll have to be trained at a Primary school and/or sports club to be allowed to teach later.
    If you also get the postgraduate Physio training, then you'll qualify to take an apprenticeship at a Pyshiotherapy training institute for less time than you would initally compared to original plan (approx. 4-5 months).

Conclusion: You lost 4 years + £45,760 (University Fee) + approx. £20,000 (Acomodation, food, bills, tax...)

Can you tell me what your age is so I can give you my best advice?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    No. They has not asked to reapply next year.
    Yes, Have work experience it's important. I asked saying that I have work experience in "physical education" because my father has this degree.
    I have good requirements with school and I'm also studying for the IELTS exam. Universities wanna work experiences in this field but, unfortunately, in the south of Italy students have really not this opportunities.

I would like to understand if I start with this degree, I will able to change next with
    validation exams???
    That doesn't mean they wouldn't welcome your application next year, you can still consider reapplying. Instead they are probably hoping to persuade you onto this alternative course they are offering you, which sounds suspiciously like a waste of money to me...

Just because your father has a degree in physical education doesn't mean YOU have any experience in it. Generally, I would recommend avoiding any mention of your parent's careers/ degrees/ anything really in your application, since this implies you are unable to think for yourself/ your parents have pressured you into a particular career/ your parents have been able to provide you with an unfair advantage, etc.

Regarding work experience, it doesn't have to be specifically in that field. I looked on the UEL website and there is no mention of work experience as a prerequisite, but all UK universities will be looking for some evidence that you are interested in your subject. An easy way to demonstrate your interest in your subject is by doing work experience, but you can also do things like reading books about the subject, blogging about developments in that field, participating in sports to a high level, volunteering, etc. For example, you could help out at a local sports club/ your school after-school football club/ a local centre for disabled people/ an old people's home, etc. It doesn't have to be exactly in physiotherapy, instead they just want some evidence that you care about other people, have an interest in sport/ exercise, etc.

What do you mean by validation exams? If you mean starting on the Sports and Exercise science degree then switching to Physiotherapy, it might be possible - the best people to ask would be the university itself. It certainly wouldn't be a guaranteed option and you would probably be required to do pretty well in your first year exams in order to be allowed to switch. This might be complicated further by the fact that the Physiotherapy course is externally accredited, so they may force you to take first year again if there are important prerequisite modules in first year. I personally wouldn't advise this route, you might end up wasting your money and doing a pointless degree...

ReputationRep:
    What it means without the filter, is after the degree you'll have to be trained at a Primary school and/or sports club to be allowed to teach later.
    If you also get the postgraduate Physio training, then you'll qualify to take an apprenticeship at a Pyshiotherapy training institute for less time than you would initally compared to original plan (approx. 4-5 months).

Conclusion: You lost 4 years + £45,760 (University Fee) + approx. £20,000 (Acomodation, food, bills, tax...)

Can you tell me what your age is so I can give you my best advice?
    I'm 18 year old and I'm attending my last year of high school. Please help me!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 year old and I'm attending my last year of high school. Please help me!!
    Dragon mentioned some very good points.

Mate, you need to reapply next year.
    Also the little breaks within your gap year will really help your mental health as I understand Italian education is quite difficult.

Take a gap year, and joins some clubs, attend possible workshops and internships, talk to specalists and read professional publications related to physiotherapy.
    You can even make some money during your gap year to help pay for the next 3 years in the UK.

I looked into it further, brexit has no issues regarding your fees, it stays the exact same. Only disadvantage is you'll have to apply for a student visa which is easy and the fastest one to obtain.

Just relax and don't be in a rush. You need to be calm about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    That doesn't mean they wouldn't welcome your application next year, you can still consider reapplying. Instead they are probably hoping to persuade you onto this alternative course they are offering you, which sounds suspiciously like a waste of money to me...

Just because your father has a degree in physical education doesn't mean YOU have any experience in it. Generally, I would recommend avoiding any mention of your parent's careers/ degrees/ anything really in your application, since this implies you are unable to think for yourself/ your parents have pressured you into a particular career/ your parents have been able to provide you with an unfair advantage, etc.

Regarding work experience, it doesn't have to be specifically in that field. I looked on the UEL website and there is no mention of work experience as a prerequisite, but all UK universities will be looking for some evidence that you are interested in your subject. An easy way to demonstrate your interest in your subject is by doing work experience, but you can also do things like reading books about the subject, blogging about developments in that field, participating in sports to a high level, volunteering, etc. For example, you could help out at a local sports club/ your school after-school football club/ a local centre for disabled people/ an old people's home, etc. It doesn't have to be exactly in physiotherapy, instead they just want some evidence that you care about other people, have an interest in sport/ exercise, etc.

What do you mean by validation exams? If you mean starting on the Sports and Exercise science degree then switching to Physiotherapy, it might be possible - the best people to ask would be the university itself. It certainly wouldn't be a guaranteed option and you would probably be required to do pretty well in your first year exams in order to be allowed to switch. This might be complicated further by the fact that the Physiotherapy course is externally accredited, so they may force you to take first year again if there are important prerequisite modules in first year. I personally wouldn't advise this route, you might end up wasting your money and doing a pointless degree...
    Thank you so much. I think your opinion and also Stoke123 has opened my eyes. So now I'm just thinking to continue to study for IELTS exam till May and I will do exam. I continue to study to school because I have my "esame di maturità" and after this I will study hard to pass Physiotherapy in Italy. Meantime I'll wait notice from EXTRA chooses because they could offer me a place in July-August as well.

What do you think about this? (Stoke123 I would like to know your opinion too)

ReputationRep:
    Dragon mentioned some very good points.

Mate, you need to reapply next year.
    Also the little breaks within your gap year will really help your mental health as I understand Italian education is quite difficult.

Take a gap year, and joins some clubs, attend possible workshops and internships, talk to specalists and read professional publications related to physiotherapy.
    You can even make some money during your gap year to help pay for the next 3 years in the UK.

I looked into it further, brexit has no issues regarding your fees, it stays the exact same. Only disadvantage is you'll have to apply for a student visa which is easy and the fastest one to obtain.

Just relax and don't be in a rush. You need to be calm about this.
    I'm feeling anxious. I really don't know what I want in my life. Another dream was to study medicine, but I really don't remain to study in Italy. I love english language and I'm taking very busy to improve a lot. I really love England and my dream is to study abroad. I could have opportunity to study IMAT (medicine in english) trying to pass ingress test in Italy but I think I'm not really ready to face this kind of faculty in English because, also, I'd be in contact with Italian people and I don't have opportunity to be in full immersion way with english (should be only study in English and I could become mad). So I have opted for physiotherapy because anyway I would remain in contact in a field where I've always lived (working with sport teams) but, obviously doing something professional.

I don't know guys. Probably I need a psychologist.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much. I think your opinion and also Stoke123 has opened my eyes. So now I'm just thinking to continue to study for IELTS exam till May and I will do exam. I continue to study to school because I have my "esame di maturità" and after this I will study hard to pass Physiotherapy in Italy. Meantime I'll wait notice from EXTRA chooses because they could offer me a place in July-August as well.

That sounds like a good plan - for now, focus on getting the grades and IELTS score you need Yes, there may be options in UCAS Extra, and even if not then taking a year out to get some work experience and extracurriculars relevant to physiotherapy would be very beneficial

ReputationRep:

If the Extra option works out for you, then go for it. But keep it mind, it's very unlikely a position will pop up. So keep it as plan A still.

The more reality will fall down to plan B, where you will have finished all your exams, and taken the gap year to reapply while doing the above mentioned in previous comments.

So far now, focus hard on your exams, don't think too much about this until the time comes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a final year student studying a exercise science degree and I applied to a second Physiotherapy degree in the upcoming Sep. (Since I don't have a great gpa to get in to master) I suggest the best solution is to start off with a exercise science degree first, then keep applying for physio each year whenever you get the chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Man!! first of all I thought for this way, but now I really don't know if could be a great idea for me! reading you're opinion seems amazing, but this way means invest a lot of money for six year of university and actually my parents could not cover me all this expenses!! (if I follow your same way)
    I'm thinking if I have to attend six year of university it's better preparing myself for the medicine test here!! Now it is my plan A, and as second plan I'm opting to reapply the next year for physiotherapy and acquiring all competences that students need!! Thank you so much for you're opinion! I have really appreciate this

ReputationRep:
    No problem dude. Money is a big constrain though... And I wouldn't say it's a waste but definitely keep trying to apply for what you want every year. I hope I'll survive my pt school too lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As countries like uk us fitness industry is way larger than Asian countries. (I'm from Hong Kong) so you can always find a job such as personal trainer or other sport management after you graduate with exercise science. Stack up your savings and apply for physio or other health professional programs. That's what my backup plan was

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would strongly recommend against doing another degree as an easy way into physiotherapy. I think what you are alluding to is the postgrad Msc 2 year course. So, you are going to do a 3 year degree in something you don't want to do and then try to get onto the Msc physiotherapy. The competition for the Msc is huge. Ontop of this you will have racked up 3 years of student debt and then need to pay your way through an Msc - the bursaries are being scrapped from next academic year from what I have heard.

Did you get feedback as to why you didn't get onto any physiotherapy courses? Was it experience? Interview technique etc. You cannot start on sports science and switch to physiotherapy by the way.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.