Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironmike)
    I would strongly recommend against doing another degree as an easy way into physiotherapy. I think what you are alluding to is the postgrad Msc 2 year course. So, you are going to do a 3 year degree in something you don't want to do and then try to get onto the Msc physiotherapy. The competition for the Msc is huge. Ontop of this you will have racked up 3 years of student debt and then need to pay your way through an Msc - the bursaries are being scrapped from next academic year from what I have heard.

Did you get feedback as to why you didn't get onto any physiotherapy courses? Was it experience? Interview technique etc. You cannot start on sports science and switch to physiotherapy by the way.
    ehy dude.
    Well, motivations 'cause they thought i'm not a good candidate are:
    - i didn't given them the best motivations why I want this profession during my interview.
    -because I've not any experiences (such as volunteering, or work experience WITH physiotherapist)
    I've focused my personal statement on me, my sport experiences, my objects etc etc They have not found me as a good candidate!! (if you want I can post here my personal statement without any problem)..
    UEL has opted to offer me a place in "sport and exercise science" but actually i don't think to accept this offer because it is not something that I really want to achieve.
    this seems all.. now i thought to focus me here in Italy and eventually to reapply for physiotherapy in England next year!

Actually I could wait for extra choices universities. But I can't really consider its as my plane A

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a pretty easy thing for you to fix. Physio courses will hate it if you come at them with I have done lots of sports stuff and this is what physio is all about. It isn't even if this is what you ultimately want to do. You need physio work experience. Apply to local hospitals and try and get in for some days of observation. I have interviewed for the physio course where I studied for a number of years and the best candidates turn up with some very clear answers as to:

1) They want to be a physio and why they will be a good physio. Answer to this is work experience, I have seen a lot of stuff, I will be good because I am a great communicator etc etc - relate it to the course

2) What they can offer the uni.

3) Have a great knowledge of all areas - MSK, Neuro and Resp obviously but also the other sub-areas within these core areas.

4) A feeling of someone genuinely wanting to be on the course. I have had people say to me that they want to be a physio because they didn't get into nursing, because they are good at massage, because they want to be a doctor and this is a good route to that. All of them may as well have just got up and left there and then - straight in the bin.

I am yet to meet anyone who has done sports science and doesn't regret it. Basically lets you be an over qualified personal trainer. Don't be tempted to do this as an easy route in as the Msc is ultra competitive. Glad you have turned it down.

Did you have someone English proof read your personal statement? A lot of grammar and spelling mistakes will see it end up in the bin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironmike)
    Sounds like a pretty easy thing for you to fix. Physio courses will hate it if you come at them with I have done lots of sports stuff and this is what physio is all about. It isn't even if this is what you ultimately want to do. You need physio work experience. Apply to local hospitals and try and get in for some days of observation. I have interviewed for the physio course where I studied for a number of years and the best candidates turn up with some very clear answers as to:

1) They want to be a physio and why they will be a good physio. Answer to this is work experience, I have seen a lot of stuff, I will be good because I am a great communicator etc etc - relate it to the course

2) What they can offer the uni.

3) Have a great knowledge of all areas - MSK, Neuro and Resp obviously but also the other sub-areas within these core areas.

4) A feeling of someone genuinely wanting to be on the course. I have had people say to me that they want to be a physio because they didn't get into nursing, because they are good at massage, because they want to be a doctor and this is a good route to that. All of them may as well have just got up and left there and then - straight in the bin.

I am yet to meet anyone who has done sports science and doesn't regret it. Basically lets you be an over qualified personal trainer. Don't be tempted to do this as an easy route in as the Msc is ultra competitive. Glad you have turned it down.

Did you have someone English proof read your personal statement? A lot of grammar and spelling mistakes will see it end up in the bin.
    Gotta say I kinna agree to exercise science is a degree that will lead one to nowhere. However, it could be a pathway that equips you with fundamental knowledge about the human body, nutrition or rehab related courses. It can be a stepping store if you take full advantage (even you are in year 1), afterall you are more related to physio when comparing to other high school students and those who are simply. BSc without any anatomy related major.

Thumbs up for the point on "showing sport=physio" can't agree more this is an immediate fail for not understanding the variety a physio can be.

Lastly, my suggestion would be get enrolled to the exercise science degree, volunteer in any physio/hospitals setting throughout your first year and apply for a physio undergrad degree every year to maximise your chance to get in

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, we had some sports scientists on my course and it made not a bit of difference to them excelling or otherwise at physio. One lady had done a human anatomy degree. Was an absolute encyclopaedia of anatomy, nerves, muscles, things nobody had even heard of. Came out with a 2:2.

This is where I think physio and medicine for that matter misses a trick. I came from a humanities background at A level and first degree and got a 1st. The best medics that I have come across in my professional life are the ones who are the most chatty / personable. They are not the ones who can list every molecule in the human body. Physio entry requirements have however gone away from accepting a range of degrees to saying that you have to have a related degree or access to science course. Myself and a number of others would not have got into the profession if applying now. One of the best physios I have ever met did a degree in acting at stage school. He was absolutely amazing with patients, especially children who he could have wrapped round his finger within minutes.

It's a byproduct of physio feeling it needs to become more medical, needs to be more evidence based. That's fine but it is still a therapy and I feel we miss a lot of potential by focusing on those who have AAA at A level or can name all the muscles in the body. Rant over.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.