Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At GCSE I got 1 A, 8 B's and 1 C. I didn't revise much and when choosing my A levels I didn't have any idea what I wanted to study at uni so chose psychology, business and history.
    In class I have been getting straight A's in all my tests and did well in my mocks. I really want to study law or international relations at a Russel group university but will I be able to get in with average GCSE's and a level subjects that don't link?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie_sf)
    At GCSE I got 1 A, 8 B's and 1 C. I didn't revise much and when choosing my A levels I didn't have any idea what I wanted to study at uni so chose psychology, business and history.
    In class I have been getting straight A's in all my tests and did well in my mocks. I really want to study law or international relations at a Russel group university but will I be able to get in with average GCSE's and a level subjects that don't link?
    I think its hard but definitely possible. You'd have to do really well in your A Levels to make up for it and for law at least, those subjects are fine. Just make sure you work hard enough to get As in your A Levels and work on your PS and you'll be fine.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    While all Russel group universities do look at your GCSE grades, the importance they place on them largely depends on which one you are thinking of applying to. Bristol is particularly transparent about their decision process, and state that they place 20% weighting of GCSE's to their assessment of your application, whilst others such as LSE are more vague and just say ‘Most have already achieved excellent GCSE grades including the majority at A* and A’. In essence, your GCSE grades will only result in an automatic rejection if the university is specific on certain subjects. Whilst for most course they only stipulate a C in core GCSE's, many Russel groups for law, such as UCL will state 'English Language and Mathematics at grade B'. So that will be your main barrier if either of those was the C.

In terms of your A levels, History is great for Law, but some Russel group universities will list psychology and Business studies as 'soft' A levels. This is not to say that they won't accept you, but it wouldn't be uncommon for them to perhaps give slightly harsher grade requirements - for example Exeter state their typical offers as AAA/AAB, but you would be more likely to be given AAA than someone doing A levels in Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics.

Hope this helps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.