Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

4 million men and 50,000 women in Germany have faced genital mutilation Watch

God created them bits so you could have the joy of choppin em off.

The study, published on Monday by the Family Affairs Ministry, found that 48,000 woman and girls living in Germany have been victims of female genital mutilation (FGM), an increase of 30 percent since 2014.

According to the authors, between 1,600 and 5,700 girls in Germany are faced with undergoing the illegal operation to remove external parts of their genitalia.

The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung reported other estimates which claim that up to 9,000 adolescent women face having this illegal operation.

The German government has pledged to clamp down on the practise by raising awareness about its dangers and pursuing it diligently through the courts.

Most of the women living in Germany who have suffered FGM originate from Eritrea, Somalia, Egypt, Ethiopia or Iraq.

The number of women from these countries living in Germany increased by 40 percent between 2014 and the middle of 2016.

“FGM is a serious breach of a person’s human rights. It causes unbelievable physical pain as well as psychological damage,” said Ralf Kleindiek, state secretary in the Family Affairs Ministry.

According to German law, FGM is also illegal when it is carried out abroad, in order to prevent parents from taking their daughters back to their home countries to have the operation carried out there.

Since December, German authorities have been allowed to take passports from parents whom they suspect of taking their daughters abroad to have the operation performed.

https://www.thelocal.de/20170207/500...tilated-report

Disgrace that male genital mutilation is largely ignored. But here's the source for the 4 million figure
    https://pophealthmetrics.biomedcentr...963-016-0073-5

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't bother me at all. I sometimes wish I was circumcised. Afaik these practises exist to prevent masturbation.

ReputationRep:
    Thats right, a medical procedure carried out by trained medical staff in a sterile medical facility is no different than some old hag hacking at the genitals of a young girl with a rusty old blade.

(Original post by joe cooley)
    Thats right, a medical procedure carried out by trained medical staff in a sterile medical facility is no different than some old hag hacking at the genitals of a young girl with a rusty old blade.
    So we should legalise FGM so that it is carried out by trained medical staff?

Is that what they call "circumcision" these days?

ReputationRep:
      but muh religious freedum
      i should be able to mutilate muh kids however i want

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      So we should legalise FGM so that it is carried out by trained medical staff?
      Good God no!

Did someone suggest we do?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zargabaath)
      but muh religious freedum
      i should be able to mutilate muh kids however i want
      Really, you believe most circumcisions in Germany are carried out for religious reasons?

Good God no!

Did someone suggest we do?
      Your argument was that male genital mutilation is okay because proper surgeons do it, while female genital mutilation was a lot worse because its done by your local unregistered Mohammed with the rusty butchers knife.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      Your argument was that male genital mutilation is okay because proper surgeons do it, while female genital mutilation was a lot worse because its done by your local unregistered Mohammed with the rusty butchers knife.
      Nope.

I merely highlighted how wrong you were to equate a strictly controlled legal practice with an uncontrolled illegal practice.

While not sure what the medical benefits of circumcision are supposed to be, i am 100% sure that male circumcision has no negative effects, FGM on the other hand is solely used to prevent the victim from enjoying a healthy fulfilling sex life.

It is quite shocking to see how far some will go to show solidarity with Islam.

Nope.

I merely highlighted how wrong you were to equate a strictly controlled legal practice with an uncontrolled illegal practice.

While not sure what the medical benefits of circumcision are supposed to be, i am 100% sure that male circumcision has no negative effects, FGM on the other hand is solely used to prevent the victim from enjoying a healthy fulfilling sex life.

It is also quite shocking how mutilating babies is suddenly acceptable if you believe in a sky daddy.

It's downright mutilation.

I think that many people miss out on the fact that an intact penis is much better suited for vaginal intercourse. The foreskin can act as a gliding mechanism that is a lot friendlier to the vaginal walls. Not to mention that an intact penis is a lot more sensitive, with the head being more similar to the inside of the vagina or mouth rather than keratinized skin of the hand.

Overall male circumcision is only accepted because it is so widespread, especially among certain religious minorities who nobody wants to offend. I think it should be an adult's choice to do it and not imposed on a newborn baby.

Finally I would like to add that sexual characteristics are there for a reason, in fact it is the one area of our bodies that would evolve the fastest due to sexual selection. To remove foreskin is to alter the penis to a less optimal organ.

ReputationRep:
      Nope.

Except that male circumcision is legal so it can be done in hospitals.In backwards African countries they do circumcise boys and young men and very often they bleed out from it.Its only in the modern west that it's the safe and sanitized procedure that we know today.
      If FGM was done in a hospital then presumably you would have no problem with it? Both are barbaric unnecessary practices.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Robby2312)
      Except that male circumcision is legal so it can be done in hospitals.In backwards African countries they do circumcise boys and young men and very often they bleed out from it.Its only in the modern west that it's the safe and sanitized procedure that we know today.
      If FGM was done in a hospital then presumably you would have no problem with it? Both are barbaric unnecessary practices.
      Nope.

FGM serves one purpose and one purpose only, to prevent women from enjoying the sex act.

So, i would still have a problem with FGM even if done in an hospital.

Strange how so many in the West are happy to throw women's rights under the bus when they come into conflict with backwards cultures.

ReputationRep:
      You cannot equate the two.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Conceited)
      You cannot equate the two.

Both male and female circumcision are wrong and unnecessary. Just because FGM is more severe does not mean that male circumcision is somehow suddenly ok. They are both cutting bits of children's bodies off.If religion didn't exist and someone randomly decided to cut parts of their children's gentitals off then they would get sent down for child abuse.Religion does not deserve special exceptions or priveleges.Both male and female circumcision are child abuse.The definition of abuse doesn't change just because it's dressed up in ancient superstitions or cultural practices.

ReputationRep:
      Both male and female circumcision are wrong and unnecessary. Just because FGM is more severe does not mean that male circumcision is somehow suddenly ok. They are both cutting bits of children's bodies off.If religion didn't exist and someone randomly decided to cut parts of their children's gentitals off then they would get sent down for child abuse.Religion does not deserve special exceptions or priveleges.Both male and female circumcision are child abuse.The definition of abuse doesn't change just because it's dressed up in ancient superstitions or cultural practices.
      I agree with the notion that both are arbitrary irreversible procedures that are unnecessary.

But, an important distinction must be taken into account. Unlike male circumcision, FGM has always served the following purposes - to control a woman's sexuality and prevent them from enjoying sex.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Conceited)
      I agree with the notion that both are arbitrary irreversible procedures that are unnecessary.

But, an important distinction must be taken into account. Unlike male circumcision, FGM has always served the following purposes - to control a woman's sexuality and prevent them from enjoying sex.
      Hmmm I would say that circumcision was largely to do with masturbation not just cleanliness.Masturbation was thought to be immoral and against God.
      So yeah it was invented to prevent a guy from enjoying sex.

ReputationRep:
      i totally agree . especially because of jews

(Original post by sedattt)
      i totally agree . especially because of jews
      What?

ReputationRep:
      jews has spread it out to world

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.