Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I got an invitation from Southampton uni to go to a visit day + interview. There is an option to bring one guest with you, and I was wondering if it would be weird to bring my mom along? Do many people bring their parents to open days (maybe specifically for southampton if anyone has attended...)? From the schedule I got from them in an email it's mostly talks and tours about the course, but there is a taster lecture, so would it be awkward to go to one with a parent?
    I've heard that some unis split you up with your parents on the day for separate talks, but is that the case at southampton?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Why not go by yourself? I wouldn't use the word weird but I think it's something that you shouldnt need your parents there for it's your decision after all not theirs, I went to open days alone

(Original post by Nuk3d)
    Hi, I got an invitation from Southampton uni to go to a visit day + interview. There is an option to bring one guest with you, and I was wondering if it would be weird to bring my mom along? Do many people bring their parents to open days (maybe specifically for southampton if anyone has attended...)? From the schedule I got from them in an email it's mostly talks and tours about the course, but there is a taster lecture, so would it be awkward to go to one with a parent?
    I've heard that some unis split you up with your parents on the day for separate talks, but is that the case at southampton?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Why not go by yourself? I wouldn't use the word weird but I think it's something that you shouldnt need your parents there for it's your decision after all not theirs, I went to open days alone
    It's a bit far so I'm going to southampton with my mom regardless, it's just a case of going our separate ways for the day or not. Most people I know drag their parents to uni open days and such, so I was just wondering if I'll stand out if I don't. I don't really mind going by myself. :P And lets just say it's a bit of guilt in there too for leaving her alone to wander around the town too.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Nuk3d)
    It's a bit far so I'm going to southamptom with my mom regardless, it's just a case of going our separate ways for the day or not. Most people I know drag their parents to uni open days and such, so I was just wondering if I'll stand out if I don't. I don't really mind going by myself. :P And lets just say it's a bit of guilt in there too for leaving her alone to wonder around the town too,
    You certainly won't stand out by going alone, I'd see that as more of the norm, besides you'd be living alone in a matter of months, i m sure your mum can manage without you for a few hours.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Nuk3d)
    There were loads of parents at most of the visit days I went to. Often there are talks for parents whilst the applicants are taken to their interviews and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I have been to open days both with and without my parents.

Honestly, it's preference. When I went to Lboro on my own, the student ambassadors were fully aware of it and I actually sat and spoke with them for the majority of the day; I've also made friends with other people on their own before as everyone is in the same boat. I've been to some days with my parents and enjoyed it simply because I had someone there to fall back on. It's totally your preference; you're not going to stand out going on your own. Everyone is too busy worrying about themselves and the uni to care about you being on your own
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Nuk3d)
    Has she visited at all? Parents quite like to see the accommodation. Maybe as a compromise go with her on an accomodation tour when you arrive and then suggest she has a look round the city centre etc and leave you to it for the rest of the day.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Nuk3d)
    I went to a visit day alone and I was literally the only one without a parent, then at another university only one girl brought her Mum so she made her leave . . . It really seems to depend!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Has she visited at all? Parents quite like to see the accommodation. Maybe as a compromise go with her on an accomodation tour when you arrive and then suggest she has a look round the city centre etc and leave you to it for the rest of the day.
    I'm not going on the accomodation tour (it's optional) as I'll be getting a place privately. So she will most probably be seeing potentail private accomodation with me anyway.

I guess I will be going alone then, it's only 4 hours so it should be fine. And talking to people is always easier when there's no parents to watch you. Thanks for your input guys.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Nuk3d)
    I guess I will be going alone then, it's only 4 hours so it should be fine. And talking to people is always easier when there's no parents to watch you. Thanks for your input guys.
    Yes - good decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuk3d)
    this was a few years ago now but literally all the open days and applicant days I went to the vast majority were with a parent or two.

ReputationRep:
    i attended 2 open days with my parents and it was fine. I wanted them to see the possible uni i would go to, and in general its nice to have them involved in this next step of my life. When i went i noticed loads of students with their parents as well.

ReputationRep:
    My dad came with me to most of my open days bar one where my boyfriend came instead. I personally like having someone with me so I can discuss my thoughts on the uni with someone else, most poeple had a parent with them at the open days i went to
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Your mum will probably be delighted to have some time for herself.

I'd recommend the john lewis cafe in west quay (top floor in the John lewis - not the general west quay foodhall) as a good mum cafe and hotel chocolat always has freebies during the week and waterstones in west quay is a really nice branch that you can easily lose an hour in.

The central library/art gallery and sea museum next door are worth a trip too.

ReputationRep:
    I went to one of the open days with my boyfriend, one with my parent and one alone: preferred going on my own but didn't like that I had no one to discuss it with afterwards.. Also, It's difficult to meet people/make friends if you're with your parents. If you go alone, you'll likely notice someone hiding away on their own (praying someone will talk to them, like I was!)

ReputationRep:
    I went all the way to Durham on my own, which was about a 5hr trip each way - and about a 16 hour day.

It was fine, in fact it allowed me to have the freedom of looking at what I wanted to look at. Often parents don't understand your priorities v.s. their priorities. In the case of Durham, they would have been fed up going around a lot of the colleges but I wanted to have a look around as many as possible so I could make a choice I'd be happy with.

Also, you gain way more independence - uni is all about independence and going to a new place on your own will make you feel more comfortable about the whole experience later on.

Spoiler:
    Show

the other good thing is, you alone come to a judgement and you're not influenced by family members who may not want you to go there. I know my parents begrudgingly paid for my £120 train ticket, goodness knows what they would have been like actually going on the open day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuk3d)
    So many bring parents weather as moral support or as a second pair of eyes or whatever in fact you'd be in a minority if you were on your own.

ReputationRep:
    When we went to Solent there were talks about the city and how halls worked for parents while their little dears were took off to see in side some of the halls and on a city tour I sat in on one of those having had my open day earlier in the year I spent the day looking round on my own and talking to students who were already there and going round the town to get to know were things were I actually had quite a fun time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)

Spoiler:
    Show

the other good thing is, you alone come to a judgement and you're not influenced by family members who may not want you to go there. I know my parents begrudgingly paid for my £120 train ticket, goodness knows what they would have been like actually going on the open day.

Hilarious!!!! You want independence, freedom to choose without, god forbid, the input of a parent. Why didn't you buy your own ticket? It's ok to sponge then?

ReputationRep:
    I visited Southampton alone for a visit day a weekend or two ago, and I think I was the only (if not one or two others) that hadn't brought at least one parent. I do prefer going alone though, because you as a student will prioritize different things to them.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.