Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I just ask him if he's gay/bi?Would you be insulted if someone asked you that? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know that he's had girlfriends in the past but that's about it... Nothing on his fb really suggests that he might be gay/bi (not in any lgbt groups, no any kind of lgbt content shares etc). Still, he keeps messaging me, and pretty much showers me with attention via texts/messages/. But idk what his intentions are. I just want to know where we stand.
    before anyone asks/accuses me - no I've no plans on cheating on my boyfriend with him. it's just a question.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be insulted at all by that question, if you're curious about it… I'd say go ahead and ask.

ReputationRep:
    sounds like he's in love with you

ReputationRep:
    If you don't know about this and just speculate it, the chances are he's could be in the closet and trying to stay in the closet. Trying to out someone is the WORST thing ever for a gay/bi person. I would ask him over social media, because it's a lot easier to explain yourself if you are in the closet, but in real life people usually panic when people try to out them.

ReputationRep:
    He has had girlfriends in the past so you can already rule out him being gay. He's either friendly, Bi or trying it on with you

The last time I was asked this question, I was also followed up with the question of how would you like to be in 3 some…

what prompts you to think he's gay/bi? I mean this in the nicest way possible to gay people but a question like that just basically says "you aren't musucline, you sure you like girls and not d***?" So I think he could be offended

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coruscion)
    If you don't know about this and just speculate it, the chances are he's could be in the closet and trying to stay in the closet. Trying to out someone is the WORST thing ever for a gay/bi person. I would ask him over social media, because it's a lot easier to explain yourself if you are in the closet, but in real life people usually panic when people try to out them.
    I'm gay too so I don't think it would make him uncomfortable if he was? But yeah, I'm kinda worried what his reaction might be, too. If he's straight, he will probably be like wtf nooo are you HITTING ON ME lol

(Original post by Kravence)
    He has had girlfriends in the past so you can already rule out him being gay. He's either friendly, Bi or trying it on with you
    Nope, not necessarily. A few of my 100% now-openly-gay friends had girlfriends in the past, as a cover-up.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he just wants to be your friend, whether or not he's actually gay? Have you considered that before jumping to conclusions?

I mean from what you've written, it doesn't really suggest he likes you more than just that although he could do. He probably just really likes you gonna friendly way.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Personally I wouldn't be insulted, because how else are they supposed to know?
    Don't want them to have false information

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The last time I was asked this question, I was also followed up with the question of how would you like to be in 3 some…

what prompts you to think he's gay/bi? I mean this in the nicest way possible to gay people but a question like that just basically says "you aren't musucline, you sure you like girls and not d***?" So I think he could be offended

(Original post by Loopy91)
    Maybe he just wants to be your friend, whether or not he's actually gay? Have you considered that before jumping to conclusions?
    Yep, of course I have. It's just the fact that he seems really interested in me, usually initiating contact etc. And it's not like he's a lonely person in need of friends. I mean, we are both in our twenties, and he already has his own circle of friends etc. Sometimes he comes off as a bit over affectionate, considering we don't really know each other that well. But maybe I'm reading too much into this because I'm not going to lie, I like him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Yep, of course I have. It's just the fact that he seems really interested in me, usually initiating contact etc. And it's not like he's a lonely person in need of friends. I mean, we are both in our twenties, and he already has his own circle of friends etc. Sometimes he comes off as a bit over affectionate, considering we don't really know each other that well. But maybe I'm reading too much into this because I'm not going to lie, I like him.
    Maybe he thinks you're cool and wants you as a friend as well as the ones he's already got. Friendship group evolve over time after all. Maybe he's just a touchy feel-y guy - there are quite a few guys like that. When you say you like him, Do you fancy him or ...?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he thinks you're cool and wants you as a friend as well as the ones he's already got. Friendship group evolve over time after all. Maybe he's just a touchy feel-y guy - there are quite a few guys like that. When you say you like him, Do you fancy him or ...?
    Doubt it. I'm a complete mess. Not cool at all. Although I'm somewhat decent at hiding it from people I don't really know too well. And yeah, I totally do. I don't mean to but I do. He's so good looking, and so kind, as well. My relationships with my bf has been really rocky as of late, which doesn't help at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Doubt it. I'm a complete mess. Not cool at all. Although I'm somewhat decent at hiding it from people I don't really know too well. And yeah, I totally do. I don't mean to but I do. He's so good looking, and so kind, as well. My relationships with my bf has been really rocky as of late, which doesn't help at all.
    What makes you doubt it? You could be right but maybe it's wishful thinking on your part?

ReputationRep:
    What makes you doubt it? You could be right but maybe it's wishful thinking on your part?
    I don't know really, probably just the fact that most people in the world are straight, and if not, usually they're out of the closet in their 20s already so...

ReputationRep:
    For things like this, a poll really should be made...
    Anyhow, go ahead and ask, I wouldn;t get offended, some might, so I can't tell if I don't know this person personality

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.