This discussion is closed.
Pencil
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by d)
banaboo.com

Do you like the name? What does it make you think of? What do you associate it with? I would really appreciate any reactions and comments.

Many Thanks,
d.
:eek:

I prefer Student Agora
Willla2
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
d, you seem to have not read my PM, or at least you didnt confirm the reciept. Can i just ask how did I not follow the guidelines you were after!? Here are the ideas i sent ya:

I can only think of a couple of suggestions off the top of my head.

Memedex: This is a joining of the two words "Meme" and "Index". I wanted to make use of the word "meme" which was a word coined by Richard Dawkins as a unit of information that replicates itself through technology and human minds. If you can think of a better use of the word "meme" i would be glad to hear it (You could take out the second e, Memdex, maybe better?)

Sortal: I wasnt sure whether or not you wanted to keep a sort of "Student" reference to your unified website (depends how studenty it is), and so combining the word "student" with "portal" (Which seems a fitting word for what this new site sounds like, once again, if you can play with portal in a better way it would be good) to get sortal: The Student Portal. This also sounds like "Sort all" which suggests the site could act as a good source of organised information.

There that's all I could think of. I was trying to play with the word "uni" since that can be used to mean the sense "university" and "unified" and "unit" - to portray the fact that the sites have become unified and their main area of information surrounds university goers. Uniular or something like like that might work. (Or just Unilar - sounds like Circular and other mathematical things)
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I like the name 'dibby'.

dibby.com

Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just noticed that dibby.com is already taken. Seriously didn't realise

Kids - don't go there to see what it is.
Apollo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
I personally don't really like it.

Sounds really childish - like playschool speak *shrug* Like that program boobah!
I agree, sounds silly tbh
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Invisible)
"uk-learning.net" ----> "ahh, seems like a good student and education kind of site, might be good. I'll click on it."

"banaboo.com" ----> "naah, some nonsense site, www.mathshelp.com just below seems better, let's click on that."
i dont think anyone looks at the domain name when searching - UKL or banaboo arent mentioned in the title, which is what people look at first.
Pencil
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How about tinksydada.com

The t respresents the traditional British drink people have while they're browsing the forum. The word 'ink' has connotations to a pen - something students use a lot. The sy letters identify the word system - an important part of controlling the site, while the d refers to the admin. The ada part symbolises the randomness of forum threads, for instance, American Dietetic Association, which is completely random.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
i dont think anyone looks at the domain name when searching - UKL or banaboo arent mentioned in the title, which is what people look at first.
I do, if a site description has is in no way connected to the domain name then you are forced to conclude that the webmaster just added random things to attract google.
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Reminds me too much of rthe dodgy eightees song "agadoo".

MB
wizard
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chubb)
I liked one of mine - Athenai (not spelt right though) it means Athens and also Learning.

Still though - its d's forums and he can do with them what he sees fit.
Heh I like Athenai too
Carl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Firstly, I don't like Banaboo, for many of the reasons stated above. How about something modern, and knowledge based? Isn't 411 supposed to represent knowledge? So why not four11.co.uk, the411.co.uk, 411.co.uk or some variation on the theme. If moder, cutting edge branding is what your after, hip-hop culture is where it's at. However, it could attract scallies.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by carldaman)
Isn't 411 supposed to represent knowledge?
i dont get that
Carl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
i dont get that
I think it's supposed to rhyme:

"What's the 411?"="What's goin' on"
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by carldaman)
Firstly, I don't like Banaboo, for many of the reasons stated above. How about something modern, and knowledge based? Isn't 411 supposed to represent knowledge? So why not four11.co.uk, the411.co.uk, 411.co.uk or some variation on the theme. If moder, cutting edge branding is what your after, hip-hop culture is where it's at. However, it could attract scallies.
Anything with 411 in will just bring aload of Music fans in, supporting the band "The 4-1-1" of recent "(Fall down) On my knees" fame.

One of the addresses you suggest is probably their official site, and the others fan sites ! Nothing would surprise me.
~Skye~
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
Anything with 411 in will just bring aload of Music fans in, supporting the band "The 4-1-1" of recent "(Fall down) On my knees" fame.

Whats_the _411 would LOVE that. lol
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
I personally don't really like it.

Sounds really childish - like playschool speak *shrug* Like that program boobah!
I agree. An educational site needs an address which reflects that.
wizard
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
I agree. An educational site needs an address which reflects that.
OK but education is not only "about education". For instance you don't go to the university, only to study fot 3-4 years, graduate and find a decent job. It's about making the most of the best 3-4 years of your life. In my opinion this should also be reflected in the site name.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wizard)
OK but education is not only "about education". For instance you don't go to the university, only to study fot 3-4 years, graduate and find a decent job. It's about making the most of the best 3-4 years of your life. In my opinion this should also be reflected in the site name.
But banaboo just doesn't capture that essence. Bananas, teletubies, kids.....
wizard
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
OK it sounds weird but that s mainly because of this site's title. You are used to it and it's not easy to stick to someting different.
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wizard)
OK it sounds weird but that s mainly because of this site's title. You are used to it and it's not easy to stick to someting different.
This is very true.

No-one likes change.

Anyone who can remember the fuss kicked up by going to the sub-forum format of this board will vouch for it - now we get people asking for more sub-forums in the structure.

Provided that all the present URLS used for UKL redirect to the new address for a few months at least, that there is some form of direct address to the forums, (forum.banadoo.com ?), along with an "Update your Bookmarks" announcment, then the transition to any address is possible.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (214)
39.12%
No - but I will (38)
6.95%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.58%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (259)
47.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise