x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, D will put all the possible names including banaboo in a poll, so banaboo hasnt been chosen yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    people used to have the same attitude about "google" ("google - sounfs like googoo gaga its childish i wont use it") and now look at it, one of the most popular website franchises around

its not the name that matters, but the contents
    But google is actually derived sensibly. When I first stumbled across google back in 1999/2000, I didnt think "hmm, childish sounding site" I thought "Sounds like a googlplex, a really large number" - and that is indeed the derivation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Banaboo, banaboo........

No.

Come on, how will I feel saying that at school with my friends, "Oh I looked on Banaboo and found out this".

What about the maths teachers telling the year 11 students where to go to cheat on their coursework? "If you go on, erm, Banaboo, you can discuss the coursework and one or two teachers will be on there".

Are you going to turn this into a whole lot more than just a forum (come on, who actually uses the directory...) or try and keep it as a UK-orientated student forum? It's a pity you can't get something academic in the name. Banaboo is memorable but just sounds so random and childish, and would only work well if you had a whole lot of marketing to make the place known to all, so rather than seeing it come up on Google and wondering what the hell it is people come here in the first place.
    You've summed up my sentiments exactly.

But I have had a long think about this, and perhaps if banaboo got well recognised and just rolled off the tip your tongue, it would create a mental image of its own - the most popular student site in the uk. All good websites have very random names as do many products! Banaboo could catch on if we make it famous. If we don't though - telling someone we spend half our day on "Banaboo" just sounds weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    You've summed up my sentiments exactly.

But I have had a long think about this, and perhaps if banaboo got well recognised and just rolled off the tip your tongue, it would create a mental image of its own - the most popular student site in the uk. All good websites have very random names as do many products! Banaboo could catch on if we make it famous. If we don't though - telling someone we spend half our day on "Banaboo" just sounds weird.
    i wanna buy a banaboo barbie

ReputationRep:
    Wow....people liked my suggestion!!

However....i echo what's been said before...it's hard to decide on a name if we don't know what the other sites we're being merged with are like in terms of style and content.

G

ReputationRep:
    Can we know if its still going to be vaguely learning based?

I've set my mum the task of coming up with one with her l33t classic language knowledge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)
    i wanna buy a banaboo barbie
    Hahahaha. That's a point....we could get so big that we start selling merchandise! "I'm a moderator of banaboo" T-shirts for those members whose dream it is to be one.

(Original post by Acaila)
    Can we know if its still going to be vaguely learning based?

I've set my mum the task of coming up with one with her l33t classic language knowledge
    www.1337.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    Wahey!

What about apprendo?
    Latin/latin-based for "I learn"
    And it's kinda catchy too (got the o on the end but not the childish double "o")

ReputationRep:
    Wahey!

What about apprendo?
    And it's kinda catchy too (got the o on the end but not the childish double "o")
    sounds like a pizza restaurant...yummy, lets go to apprendo guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    But google is actually derived sensibly. When I first stumbled across google back in 1999/2000, I didnt think "hmm, childish sounding site" I thought "Sounds like a googlplex, a really large number" - and that is indeed the derivation!
    isn't a google 1^100? and a googleplex 1^google

ReputationRep:
    Latin based...italian...what's the difference
    I thought it sounds quite like Presto for some reason so it sounds like an Italian magician

EDIT: googol is one followed by a million zeroes right? *cough cough*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    isn't a google 1^100? and a googleplex 1^google
    that is indeed correct - although it is a common mistake to spell the googl with an "e" on the end. As far as i am aware the original spelling was without the e, but google.com added it on to stress the pronounciation.

ReputationRep:
    Wahey!

What about apprendo?
    thats quite good actually
    www.apprendo.co.uk
    www.apprendo.net
    hmmm i like it
    EDIT not taken either!

i'm all confused about googles/googols now

ReputationRep:
    Yay! {hugs scarlet ibis}
    Somebody likes it

EDIT: 3000th post! w00t!

ReputationRep:
    thats quite good actually
    www.apprendo.co.uk
    www.apprendo.net
    hmmm i like it
    EDIT not taken either!

i'm all confused about googles/googols now
    certainly isnt bad....but it still suggests to me soemthing which a magician says before pulling a rabbit out of his hat! I peronsally dont like the idea of names ending in o's at the moment, it's a fad that is way too old (yahoo, wanadoo, kelkoo). Even with the one o at the end it still seems too familiar.

ReputationRep:
    Yay! {hugs scarlet ibis}
    Somebody likes it

EDIT: 3000th post! w00t!
    @}~----

here's a rose from my rose garden to say congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't like double o but one o sounds alright to me

ReputationRep:
    It might be just me, but is anyone else worried about the size of this new site? I'm not talking in terms of servers and stuff, but this site already has over 20,000 members, if this new one is globally marketed then there will be thousands more - already I find it difficult to keep up with threads in this forum (you post, log off for a few hours, come back and there's another 15 pages to read) - isn't this new site just going to be worse? Even the moaning thread in F51 grows at the rate of about 150 posts a day and there are less people in there...

ReputationRep:
    Probably means more subforums.

@}~----

here's a rose from my rose garden to say congratulations!
    Thank you!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.