x Turn on thread page Beta

New Site Name watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    It might be just me, but is anyone else worried about the size of this new site? I'm not talking in terms of servers and stuff, but this site already has over 20,000 members, if this new one is globally marketed then there will be thousands more - already I find it difficult to keep up with threads in this forum (you post, log off for a few hours, come back and there's another 15 pages to read) - isn't this new site just going to be worse? Even the moaning thread in F51 grows at the rate of about 150 posts a day and there are less people in there...
    I thought of that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    It might be just me, but is anyone else worried about the size of this new site? I'm not talking in terms of servers and stuff, but this site already has over 20,000 members, if this new one is globally marketed then there will be thousands more - already I find it difficult to keep up with threads in this forum (you post, log off for a few hours, come back and there's another 15 pages to read) - isn't this new site just going to be worse? Even the moaning thread in F51 grows at the rate of about 150 posts a day and there are less people in there...
    Absolutely.

One reason why some members including myself think it's no longer as good as it used to be is because there are just too many members now to actually get to know people and get involved in a proper conversation. You post something and then as soon as you click refresh there's loads more posts to read.

If even more members join, UKL (or banaboo lol) will have so many people contributing that that sense of the special UKL community will no longer exist.

ReputationRep:
    I've been on a huge forum that had something like quarter of a million members. On that the subforums (and subforums within subforums) became a community rather than the forum as a whole. To be honest for several months after I registered I didn't know there was life outside my own little subforum. It definitely managed to retain a community

ReputationRep:
    she's got a point there,

heck there's definitely a few little sub-communities around here, the onyl which i'm in is the cambridge forum one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    I've been on a huge forum that had something like quarter of a million members. On that the subforums (and subforums within subforums) became a community rather than the forum as a whole. To be honest for several months after I registered I didn't know there was life outside my own little subforum. It definitely managed to retain a community
    Well, I personally don't like the idea of being stuck in a small subforum of a subforum of a subforum. I like UKL in that you can contribute to everything - see the threads about everything and not have to restrict yourself to a particular subforum.

I think UKL should be renamed as "The Place where Adhsur Dwells in CyberSpace".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Well, I personally don't like the idea of being stuck in a small subforum of a subforum of a subforum. I like UKL in that you can contribute to everything - see the threads about everything and not have to restrict yourself to a particular subforum.
    You don't have to restrict yourself at all. I would say the Cam forum is a little like that for me, but I still go and contribute all over the place. I just wouldn't say I felt so much a part of a community say in general chat or the St Andrews forum for example.

ReputationRep:
    I don't belong to any community, I just float around and post where I feel like it, or where what I'm thinking is relevant...

(Original post by Invisible)
    Can't we just stick with the current UKL, and d continue rolling in money through subscriptions? He wants more though..
    Someone has to pay for the server. I guess it s a dedicated server.

How on earth did you get 90/100 on my test?! Godly...
    I can read you like a book (a very thin book).

ReputationRep:
    Am I like Les Miserables then?

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to restrict yourself at all. I would say the Cam forum is a little like that for me, but I still go and contribute all over the place. I just wouldn't say I felt so much a part of a community say in general chat or the St Andrews forum for example.
    Well, ok it's different for unis because I wouldn't contribute to a forum about a uni I'm not going to.

But I do feel I am recognised and I contribute everywhere - general chat, academic, etc. and not just because I'm a mod.

ReputationRep:
    Well, ok it's different for unis because I wouldn't contribute to a forum about a uni I'm not going to.

But I do feel I am recognised and I contribute everywhere - general chat, academic, etc. and not just because I'm a mod.
    Small subforums also make it easier for newbies to get started. They're not just thrown in to the deep end of foruming.
    And you are recognised cos everybody loves you Adshur

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)
    Someone has to pay for the server. I guess it s a dedicated server.
    It is a dedicated linux server. It costs at least $300 per month since that is the lowest price from the hosting company. Since he has other sites he has at least one other server and once he combines them he is going to cluster them so he will probably have at least 3 servers which will cost over $1000 per month.

*d loves us all sooooo much*

ReputationRep:
    Small subforums also make it easier for newbies to get started. They're not just thrown in to the deep end of foruming.
    And you are recognised cos everybody loves you Adshur
    Hahaha, loved by everyone! You should see the pms I get!

But yes I suppose I am being very biased about recognition as I am one of the oldest members and have never really had the problem of being thrown into the deep end.

ReputationRep:
    I'd put that quote in my sig, but it's too long.
    Why that one?

I am one of the oldest members and have never really had the problem of being thrown into the deep end.
    And one of the hottest, my little firecracker.

ReputationRep:
    Meeeeow!

Another suggestion (with an o!): Cogito

ding dong, why heeeelllloooo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    she's got a point there,

heck there's definitely a few little sub-communities around here, the onyl which i'm in is the cambridge forum one
    she's right!
    the cambridge forum deifnately has a sense of community

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.