Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English at UEA (East Anglia) or Southampton? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

My firm choice university is definitely going to be Leeds, but I'm not sure whether to have UEA or Southampton as my insurance.

Southampton does appear to be higher ranking for English, but different websites keep telling me different things!!!

I'm also interested in which place has a better student life and experience? I know both towns are a little way away from the unis but which is better and less to get to hassle?

I also love going to concerts so am very interested in which university is more convenient on that front!

Thank you so much in advance!!

- Emily
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmzSwiggle)
    My firm choice university is definitely going to be Leeds, but I'm not sure whether to have UEA or Southampton as my insurance.

Southampton does appear to be higher ranking for English, but different websites keep telling me different things!!!

I'm also interested in which place has a better student life and experience? I know both towns are a little way away from the unis but which is better and less to get to hassle?

I also love going to concerts so am very interested in which university is more convenient on that front!
    As a graduate of UEA I'm going to, obviously, direct you to choose UEA. League tables can be confusing - do you choose one based on course reputation or one based overall institution? As you say, it's often about the overall experience that's most important.

For UEA, we're a UK Top 15 university with a Top 10 English department, and what I think is really important is ever since the National Student Survey began about 11 years ago we've been consistently ranked Top 5 for student satisfaction. Moreover, students studying in the Literature, Drama and Creative Writing department appear hugely satisfied in their studies. That's really important, knowing the majority of students are very happy, and more so than most other UK institutes. We're also Top 10 for student experience according to The Times Higher Education survey of students, and in the same survey our campus came out top for best campus environment in the UK. So we're hearing great things from the people that go here

Moreover, if you love gigs, you're going to love UEA. We've got the LCR run by our Student Union where students and members of the public go for the latest bands in Norwich. They also run the Waterfront in the city which is for up-and-coming artists. When I was at UEA I saw Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs, Lily Allen, Haim, Coldplay, etc. Giggs and Stormzy were announced for this Spring, and sold out within minutes, so there's a big community of music fans here: https://ueatickets.ticketabc.com/listings/. The SU also put on weekly club nights and fancy dress nights too!

We're just outside the city but we have significantly discounted bus passes for students to get from A to B with busses running nearly every 10 minutes during the day. We also have cycle lanes between the uni and city, so in nicer weather if you invest in a bike it should be a pleasant journey!

Do let me know what you're thinking, I'd love to talk more about UEA

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.