Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    Embrace the darkness!
    I love it so much!
    Roll on winter!
    :headbang:

ReputationRep:
    Noone cares how I feel. What a question.

My heart is genuinely hurting

ReputationRep:
      Exhausted and just done with everything
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
      **** **** **** **** **** **** ****. Argh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      So I came fourth in first year with 88.9 (88.87 to be exact) when top mark was 89.1. Yep, just stupid f***ing life trolling me again - "if you hadn't been so depressed and demotivated all year and just put in a tiny amount of effort during the year you would have easily been clearly first with 90+!" Well I was, so stfu.
      That was my last chance in life to achieve anything really. Next year I'll do badly because I can't even bring myself to go back to studying and don't want anything to do with maths.

I think university has just butchered every last bit of interest I had in the subject, turning it into some stupid contest of who can be bothered to read the lecture notes for every module 70 times over. To think I enjoyed maths the most in my life just the year before. I hate the subject. Reincarnate me as some mathematical genius and I'll probably enjoy it a lot.

ReputationRep:
      Need to move to a place with better internet soon. Can't download new games. Once I'm out of games to game I'll have to face real life. On the bright side, still able to squeeze fun out of Mass Effect 2 by playing with a different class. Breezed through Horizon on Insanity with no deaths first time playing an Infiltrator. Got to feel a sense of achievement in daily life somehow..

(Original post by IrrationalRoot)
      So I came fourth in first year with 88.9 (88.87 to be exact) when top mark was 89.1. Yep, just stupid f***ing life trolling me again - "if you hadn't been so depressed and demotivated all year and just put in a tiny amount of effort during the year you would have easily been clearly first with 90+!" Well I was, so stfu.
      That was my last chance in life to achieve anything really. Next year I'll do badly because I can't even bring myself to go back to studying and don't want anything to do with maths.

I think university has just butchered every last bit of interest I had in the subject, turning it into some stupid contest of who can be bothered to read the lecture notes for every module 70 times over. To think I enjoyed maths the most in my life just the year before. I hate the subject. Reincarnate me as some mathematical genius and I'll probably enjoy it a lot.
      Objectively speaking, how is coming first that much of a step up from coming near the top? I mean every cohort is different, and even if you came first this year, say, you may have come third with some different people to compete against, for instance, or doing as well as you did this year you may have placed first against some other cohort. Add to that the variance from people taking different modules, consider the negligible difference in marks at the top, and I think you really don't need to look at this so negatively.

You don't have to turn this into a contest. The university isn't really doing so itself, it's not like they force you to look at the rankings; their judgement pretty much stops at 70% - a pretty damn low borderline for the course. And if the course is not stimulating enough, what's wrong with doing other maths for maths' sake? Just make sure you have a decent grounding in each module, get an 80 or something, and generally occupy yourself with stuff that really interests you.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FireFreezer77)
      Embrace the darkness!
      I love it so much!
      Roll on winter!
      Aww Hun that's so cute :hugs: xx
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      soaked from the rain

ReputationRep:
      My knees are killing me 😖😖
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by bizzy_penguin)
      soaked from the rain
      Hope you dry off soon :penguinhug::penguin:

(Original post by starfab)
      :console: Take some painkillers?

ReputationRep:
      Have you had enough water? You can get cramps and stuff because the salt builds up in your muscles when you're dehydrated x

ReputationRep:
      Tired. Seems I can only sleep in 3 hour blocks now for some reason.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
      Need to move to a place with better internet soon. Can't download new games. Once I'm out of games to game I'll have to face real life. On the bright side, still able to squeeze fun out of Mass Effect 2 by playing with a different class. Breezed through Horizon on Insanity with no deaths first time playing an Infiltrator. Got to feel a sense of achievement in daily life somehow..

Objectively speaking, how is coming first that much of a step up from coming near the top? I mean every cohort is different, and even if you came first this year, say, you may have come third with some different people to compete against, for instance, or doing as well as you did this year you may have placed first against some other cohort. Add to that the variance from people taking different modules, consider the negligible difference in marks at the top, and I think you really don't need to look at this so negatively.

You don't have to turn this into a contest. The university isn't really doing so itself, it's not like they force you to look at the rankings; their judgement pretty much stops at 70% - a pretty damn low borderline for the course. And if the course is not stimulating enough, what's wrong with doing other maths for maths' sake? Just make sure you have a decent grounding in each module, get an 80 or something, and generally occupy yourself with stuff that really interests you.
      I don't know, it's not. Something's wrong with me. It's not really the placing I'm particularly upset about (although it just pisses me off how close it was), it's more like with every year I'm being drained of motivation/goals.

It is basically a contest no matter how I try to look at it; this stems from it being so easy to get a first. For some reason I always need something challenging to aim towards (probably due to success at school). So the only way to achieve something is to get very high marks. Also I can't do maths for math's sake even though I'd love to because I can't solve problems. So all the maths I do is basically reading. Can't really blame the university itself for that though.

Actually now that I think about it all this nonsense is almost certainly a result of having literally nothing else to do in life.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
      Hope you dry off soon :penguinhug::penguin:

:console: Take some painkillers?
      Missed my vit d tablet yday. Well ran out. Didn't expect it to make such a big difference so quick.

(Original post by abc_123_)
      Have you had enough water? You can get cramps and stuff because the salt builds up in your muscles when you're dehydrated x
      I doubt I've had enough water tbh. I'll drink more. I say this too much
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      Missed my vit d tablet yday. Well ran out. Didn't expect it to make such a big difference so quick.

I doubt I've had enough water tbh. I'll drink more. I say this too much
      :console: Can you ring up the doctor's and get some more quickly?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by abc_123_)
      Aww Hun that's so cute :hugs: xx
      You think? :blush:
      I'm in my element when its dark
      I love it!
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
      I don't know, it's not. Something's wrong with me. It's not really the placing I'm particularly upset about (although it just pisses me off how close it was), it's more like with every year I'm being drained of motivation/goals.

It is basically a contest no matter how I try to look at it; this stems from it being so easy to get a first. For some reason I always need something challenging to aim towards (probably due to success at school). So the only way to achieve something is to get very high marks. Also I can't do maths for math's sake even though I'd love to because I can't solve problems. So all the maths I do is basically reading. Can't really blame the university itself for that though.

Actually now that I think about it all this nonsense is almost certainly a result of having literally nothing else to do in life.
      Why are you Warwick kids always down? The gap wasn't even that close anyway from fourth to first, so I reckon you can take it next year with a little bit more work. Is Maths at Warwick really that draining? You need to find something, otherwise in general, you're doing really well. Granted there may be modules that you hate, focus on the ones that you love doing and push through the ones that you hate because there isn't much that you can do with them.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
      :console: Can you ring up the doctor's and get some more quickly?
      Over the counter
      Bloody expensive. Should have ordered off the net 😂
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      Over the counter
      Bloody expensive. Should have ordered off the net 😂
      aw noo, just get some quick because I don't want you to get ill or anything

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.