Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfab)
    Eh well :five: hmm :lol:
    Yknow that s word... I really hate it A lot.
    :erm: should I read what I write?
    Lmao I want to go on the roof and stand in the rain. But I'm scared someone will notice

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ^Omg, do it! :ahee: Standing/going out in the rain is a joy like no other :love:

I swear I'm going to get hypothermia one of these days :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    :hugs:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Strange)
    ^Omg, do it! :ahee: Standing/going out in the rain is a joy like no other :love:

Let me guess, you've done that?

What's that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    What will satisfy you if you could attain anything? What do you need to change this feeling?
    It's a good question. I've had enough superficial 'attainment' tbh. I'd just like to be good enough at something (like maths) to the point that I could do it in my own time, enjoy it and feel that I'm genuinely accomplishing something as opposed to memorising a bunch of stuff that I'd never be able to come up with and then feeling that I did well to get a good mark. Of course, if I had friends/other things to occupy my time apart from the only productive things being maths and chess, things would be different. But being inherently terrible at the only remotely productive things you do is just depressing.

(Original post by qasim_96)
    I can relate to this. I feel useless. My life isn't going anywhere and my condition is just getting worse. I've never felt so bad. A couple of people have told me I'm not useless but I find that difficult to believe :sad:

I'm just hoping that one day it will improve. That's all you can hope for.
    If you have any friends then you're not useless - there are people who you are 'useful' (well, important/meaningful) to. And you're important to your family to, so even if you don't have friends you're not useless.
    Yeah I hope things improve for you soon.

ReputationRep:
    My left eye is so messed up. Been like this for days. Hurts a lot when I blink and I'm having to squint like Euler most of the time...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KittenMediaya)
    Let me guess, you've done that?
    :yep: I do it a lot :lol: I just love long walks/staying out in the rain

What's that?
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Hypothe...roduction.aspx
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: Both subject to change. By going to uni, you've planted a garden which has promised you a tomorrow.

:yep:

It's also where you got that quote from, if I remember correctly :hmmmm2:
    How many times did you cry reading it? :cry2: I finished it last night and I'm sh00k

:yep: you do remember correctly

ReputationRep:
    I mean have you been on the roof?

Ooh, i've had that but never knew it was that serious lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    It's a good question. I've had enough superficial 'attainment' tbh. I'd just like to be good enough at something (like maths) to the point that I could do it in my own time, enjoy it and feel that I'm genuinely accomplishing something as opposed to memorising a bunch of stuff that I'd never be able to come up with and then feeling that I did well to get a good mark. Of course, if I had friends/other things to occupy my time apart from the only productive things being maths and chess, things would be different. But being inherently terrible at the only remotely productive things you do is just depressing.

If you have any friends then you're not useless - there are people who you are 'useful' (well, important/meaningful) to. And you're important to your family to, so even if you don't have friends you're not useless.
    They may seem like 'friends' but I have learnt that they're just there to take advantage of you. They're there when they want help or advice but nowhere to be seen when you're in the same position. I recently saw a saying which went along the lines of "They wanna kick you when you're down but they wanna kick it with you when you're up."

Thanks I hope they improve for you too
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

I'm always being told that the way to get better at maths is to practice. I don't know how much of this actually applies to you. Is Maths genuinely that easy at university? Sometimes you might actually enjoy things that you'd never think of. Do you have any siblings or are you a lone child?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    I'm always being told that the way to get better at maths is to practice. I don't know how much of this actually applies to you. Is Maths genuinely that easy at university? Sometimes you might actually enjoy things that you'd never think of. Do you have any siblings or are you a lone child?
    Yeah it is, especially in school considering how method-based everything is. But when it comes to solving interesting, creative problems, hard work won't get you anywhere without natural ability. It's easy to get a first yeah. I don't like that and similar stuff that I mentioned a while back, but the main problem is not enjoying/being good at the only productive things (as opposed to wasting time on the internet) I do.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is, especially in school considering how method-based everything is. But when it comes to solving interesting, creative problems, hard work won't get you anywhere without natural ability. It's easy to get a first yeah. I don't like that and similar stuff that I mentioned a while back, but the main problem is not enjoying/being good at the only productive things (as opposed to wasting time on the internet) I do.
    Would you say that you like maths in general but don't like/regret choosing it at university level? Stop caring about being good, if you do like something it's better to enjoy it rather than to be good at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    Would you say that you like maths in general but don't like/regret choosing it at university level? Stop caring about being good, if you do like something it's better to enjoy it rather than to be good at it.
    Idk but since starting uni I lost almost all my interest in maths. I'm only now remembering how much I used to read about maths everywhere online and watch videos all the time just for fun, not even necessarily remotely relevant to my studies. Now I never do that; if I do it just feels like a chore. Every time I do maths it feels like a chore. I got a book on Complex Analysis (one of my favourite topics by far) for my course but have made very little progress due to lack of interest. If I ever do maths now, you can be sure it's because I somehow managed to motivate myself and I'm counting down the minutes that I'm studying.

It's not necessarily about being good, more so I need to be good to do nontrivial problems and thus enjoy it. But the whole lack of interest is more significant.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Idk but since starting uni I lost almost all my interest in maths. I'm only now remembering how much I used to read about maths everywhere online and watch videos all the time just for fun, not even necessarily remotely relevant to my studies. Now I never do that; if I do it just feels like a chore. Every time I do maths it feels like a chore. I got a book on Complex Analysis (one of my favourite topics by far) for my course but have made very little progress due to lack of interest. If I ever do maths now, you can be sure it's because I somehow managed to motivate myself and I'm counting down the minutes that I'm studying.

It's not necessarily about being good, more so I need to be good to do nontrivial problems and thus enjoy it. But the whole lack of interest is more significant.
    Sounds like you've lost interest in the degree. It sounds like your saying that you liked maths at an earlier level where it didn't seem tedious as it does now to you. Have you ever considered anything else besides maths to study? I see, and you think that these specific set of skills can't be gained by practicing maths, something more like you need to be born with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    Sounds like you've lost interest in the degree. It sounds like your saying that you liked maths at an earlier level where it didn't seem tedious as it does now to you. Have you ever considered anything else besides maths to study? I see, and you think that these specific set of skills can't be gained by practicing maths, something more like you need to be born with?
    Nah, I couldn't and wouldn't study anything else. I'll just keep doing it, get my first and get totally screwed in the working world.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure. It doesn't help that I'm not interested anymore. But when I was I tried to solve a lot of problems but never improved. You can't really teach problem solving, for the most part it comes naturally.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I couldn't and wouldn't study anything else. I'll just keep doing it, get my first and get totally screwed in the working world.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure. It doesn't help that I'm not interested anymore. But when I was I tried to solve a lot of problems but never improved. You can't really teach problem solving, for the most part it comes naturally.
    After your current degree, are you planning on studying another one? I'm sure it won't be that bad, at least not as bad as university. I understand what you mean, it should just come to you whilst solving a problem. Think about this, how many students doing maths at university are naturally gifted? I doubt it's much. If you're going to study for a PG degree, you could choose one that isn't directly related to maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    After your current degree, are you planning on studying another one? I'm sure it won't be that bad, at least not as bad as university. I understand what you mean, it should just come to you whilst solving a problem. Think about this, how many students doing maths at university are naturally gifted? I doubt it's much. If you're going to study for a PG degree, you could choose one that isn't directly related to maths.
    Nah I'm probs not gonna do PG. And yeah you're right, but naturally gifted or not I wish the course was enjoyable enough to not kill my interest in the subject. (May not just be down to the course, idk.)

I feel like shiiiit

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by KittenMediaya)
      :five:
      I know you do. Everyone hates it because no body gets it :lol:
      I take it you're not better then.
      Erm dont read it out loud but if you meant tell me, then go ahead
      SAME except the roof is not horizontal, slanted so i'm gonna fall. How would you stand on the roof.... Just stick out your head, like me. Lol
      So you get the s word? :mmm:
      I neither agreed not disagreed
      If I wasn't worried about the effect ot woukd have on moods, I'd publish some of my less personal writings :rofl:
      You've seen the roof I'm talking about, it's not slanted. I could easily climb out the window but not sure how I'd get back in :lol: camp out the night on the roof.
      I did :rofl::toofunny: until the man opposite looked at the window.

I would so love to :rofl: It stopped raining :sigh:

Silly, wear waterproof things and keep warm. Common sense, init

Posted from TSR Mobile
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by AlQaholic)
      I feel like shiiiit
      :console::hugs::jumphug:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.