The Student Room Group

Should tall people get priority seats?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cbreef
See my previous post :smile:

Just saw. :h:
Original post by Dodgypirate
As someone who is 6''4 with long legs, it's very uncomfortable for me to sit in regular seats on the bus, tube, coach, etc... I get cramps and I have to stand up every once in a while to stretch - which I can't do on some occasions.

I'm also quite broad, so people keep bumping to me when I'm sat down.

It's a bit of a first world problem...

Business or First for you, then!
Am 6ft and I never really struggle in most places. Though certainly on a few buses I struggle cause theyre just not made for anyone who is over 5ft 5 it seems.
I personally think that all Asians should just get a pair of glasses at birth.
Original post by cbreef
It's made for people who are average af. Everything is designed to fit the 5th to 95th percentile.
People who are 6ft 2+ are on the top end of the spectrum, and are barely accounted for.

Edit: I just calculated that I'm in the 98th percentile for men's height in the UK :eek:
Average is apparently 5ft 9.

That's tall. :h:

At least you can see over everyone. :redface:
Lol no! Being tall is a privilege already. Enjoy :h:
Original post by Drewski

I'm 6'3ish, but all my height is in my back, I can sit perfectly comfortably on planes, trains, buses, etc, because my bum-knee measurement isn't that big.

You make it sound like you've got 12 inch legs, which is a bizarre mental image.
As someone who is 6''4 with long legs, it's very uncomfortable for me to sit in regular seats on the bus, tube, coach, etc... I get cramps and I have to stand up every once in a while to stretch - which I can't do on some occasions.

I completely agree. I just take the priority seating.
No they shouldn't. Airlines should just stop trying to jam more and more people into the cabins.
Except they won't.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Oh **** off. The world is made for tall people.

No it's not. Doors are too low, seats are too low, tables too low, cars too small, buses too small, trains too small, need a I go on?

I actually now have to have a priority seat card with my local bus company, because my height is caused by a medically recognised condition, because I cannot fit in the normal seats and I'm too tall to stand during any journey as far as their H&S Risk Assessments are concerned.

Sincerely the 7'3" person.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by iainvg
No it's not. Doors are too low, seats are too low, tables too low, cars too small, buses too small, trains too small, need a I go on?

I actually now have to have a priority seat card with my local bus company, because my height is caused by a medically recognised condition, because I cannot fit in the normal seats and I'm too tall to stand during any journey as far as their H&S Risk Assessments are concerned.

Sincerely the 7'3" person.

its unfortunate. think about the average man and then think about if the seats were 3x bigger, we'd start complaining too
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jungle_ninja
No they shouldn't. Airlines should just stop trying to jam more and more people into the cabins.
Except they won't.

Tallist!!!
Don't be lazy. Lose some weight.
Pretend this is a discussion about weight, so the typical responsible here would be "go exercise and lose some height, it's your own fault you're tall"
Reply 34
Nha man knees bend for a reason.
Original post by That Bearded Man
Pretend this is a discussion about weight, so the typical responsible here would be "go exercise and lose some height, it's your own fault you're tall"

Except you have far more control over your weight than your height. Aint that right @UWS? :rofl:
I can see the thing for airlines but you can request seating at the front of the cabin or by the emergency door (they tend to sit men there for opening the door) where there is ample room. I am tall and understand the pain of sitting, specially when paired with knee pain (got a dodgy patella).
Reply 37

Nobody is comfy on those seats. Quit complaining :colonhash:
Reply 38
Original post by cbreef
Except you have far more control over your weight than your height. Aint that right @UWS? :rofl:

I can wear heels you know.
Man up m8

Original post by SmallTownGirl
Oh **** off. The world is made for tall people.

Have you ever tried to navigate the low doorways in a barn coversion when you're 6"4? Hellish, I tell ya

Quick Reply

Latest