Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vote Leave vote down £350 million and don't give a **** Watch

ReputationRep:
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.ind...?client=safari

For shame.

The genuinely disturbing thing is the brexit brigade don't even care, in fact even cheer it on. It's like lib dem voters celebrating about tuition fees tripling.

I'm not a remoaner and I've resigned myself to brexit and marking the best of it and I'm optimistic we will. But I will maintain and this backs up my argument that Vote Leave are a bunch of charlatans.

(Brexiters will now no doubt accuse all of the Remain camp of similar duplicity- the difference is that even the dodgiest pro remain arguments were based on estimates whereas this is directly within those MPs ability to control. The equivalent would be if Cameron pledged to veto Turkish membership and then actively going ahead and supporting it.

ReputationRep:
    To be brief: They never thought they'd win. Now they have. No-one had a plan. Apocalypse NOW.
    Effect at least doubled by Trump's election :noway:

ReputationRep:
    Vote Leave never had any mandate to make promises like that, they aren't a political party looking to form a goverment, it was purely tactical to win votes by creating the idea that the NHS will be better funded if you vote leave because of the hypothetical example that if we spent all the money that currently goes to the EU budget, on the NHS then you could fund it.

In practice there will probably be some ongoing payment to the EU budget negotiated as part of the deal so that we can retain access to things we want access to, so the amount of money freed up will be less and also there will be competing sectors lobbying government for extra funding, saying they face a "cliff edge" after Brexit unless they get compensated by the UK government and so the cash will be diverted there.

And also there's an ideological factor here as long as it's a Conservative government - they generally see the NHS as a Labour creation, staffed by mainly Labour voting professionals, who need to be kept in line not given more money which would suggest weakness in the face of pressure from the BMA and nurses etc. Even if they increase funding to the NHS, those healthcare professionals will still probably not vote Conservative and neither will the kind of people who prioritise the NHS as an issue that's important to them, those kind of people are generally Labour or other left wing party voters anyway.

So the Conservatives are not going to prioritise the NHS if any extra money is available, they will look at places to spend it where it can shore up marginal voters or tip some marginal Lib Dem/UKIP/Labour voters their way.

ReputationRep:
    The brexit campaign had way more blatant lies than the remain campaign. We just say that both sides were lying so brexiters dont throw a hissy fit.

ReputationRep:
    NHS WILL get money after Brexit is completed. It might not be £350 million but it WILL be some where close to that. £290 million more or less is better than nothing. Remember that mate.

Brexit is beautiful A lot has been taken away from UK by being part of the European Union and it is now time for us to take back control.

I remember watching this video before the referendum and I still think it is beautifully right in what it says. They are making profit and the amount of money wasted on maintaining those buildings says alot:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Vote Leave never had any mandate to make promises like that, they aren't a political party looking to form a goverment, it was purely tactical to win votes by creating the idea that the NHS will be better funded if you vote leave because of the hypothetical example that if we spent all the money that currently goes to the EU budget, on the NHS then you could fund it.

In practice there will probably be some ongoing payment to the EU budget negotiated as part of the deal so that we can retain access to things we want access to, so the amount of money freed up will be less and also there will be competing sectors lobbying government for extra funding, saying they face a "cliff edge" after Brexit unless they get compensated by the UK government and so the cash will be diverted there.

And also there's an ideological factor here as long as it's a Conservative government - they generally see the NHS as a Labour creation, staffed by mainly Labour voting professionals, who need to be kept in line not given more money which would suggest weakness in the face of pressure from the BMA and nurses etc. Even if they increase funding to the NHS, those healthcare professionals will still probably not vote Conservative and neither will the kind of people who prioritise the NHS as an issue that's important to them, those kind of people are generally Labour or other left wing party voters anyway.

So the Conservatives are not going to prioritise the NHS if any extra money is available, they will look at places to spend it where it can shore up marginal voters or tip some marginal Lib Dem/UKIP/Labour voters their way.
    Yeah well it wasn't a referendum on immigration either.

Spoiler:
    Show

:rofl3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    NHS WILL get money after Brexit is completed. It might not be £350 million but it WILL be some where close to that. £290 million more or less is better than nothing. Remember that mate.

Brexit is beautiful A lot has been taken away from UK by being part of the European Union and it is now time for us to take back control.

I remember watching this video before the referendum and I still think it is beautifully right in what it says. They are making profit and the amount of money wasted on maintaining those buildings says alot:

Argh!

Obviously the NHS will get money/ the point as it was advertised as getting 350 million extra. Which it isn't.

Take back control. Like beg trump for a decent trade deal, scream at unelected judges and waste millions on trying to subvert parliament. Or maybe have an international trade Secretary who can't do his job for two years.

Now as for the video.

Oh it's a conspiracy. They don't want us filming! This is like the go to premise for film hacks like Michael Moore who don't realise that most companies/ governments don't let any old idiot go around filming,

Yes the Strasbourg thing is idiotic and wastefu- but it's peanuts to what the uk government does to us on a regular basis which actually affects us.

Think about the extra cost of enforcing and maintaining 28 distinct trade, economic and environmental policies etc etc.,,,

Ah. But I'm going full remoaner now. I reiterate, Britain should leave the EU and will make a good go of it. That doesn't. Rcesaariky mesn we all need to drink the kool aid, although it might help my sanity.,,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Yeah well it wasn't a referendum on immigration either.

Spoiler:
    Show

:rofl3:

I know right?

We'll find out that post brexit immigration has tripled and the brexiters will all be going 'see? Brexits so successful everyone wants to move here!'

ReputationRep:
    You mean people should have listened to experts and not morons like Farage and Johnson and Gove making false promises? Well this is shocking.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)

For shame.

The genuinely disturbing thing is the brexit brigade don't even care, in fact even cheer it on. It's like lib dem voters celebrating about tuition fees tripling.

I'm not a remoaner and I've resigned myself to brexit and marking the best of it and I'm optimistic we will. But I will maintain and this backs up my argument that Vote Leave are a bunch of charlatans.

(Brexiters will now no doubt accuse all of the Remain camp of similar duplicity- the difference is that even the dodgiest pro remain arguments were based on estimates whereas this is directly within those MPs ability to control. The equivalent would be if Cameron pledged to veto Turkish membership and then actively going ahead and supporting it.
    Yeah but they were just 'recommending it'. Just because they said 'let's fund the NHS instead' it didn't mean they were suggesting we should fund the NHS instead....obviously. Clearly it's our fault for thinking that when they said 'let's fund the NHS' they actually meant 'let's fund the NHS'.

John Major was spot on about the likes of Gove and Johnson. They don't care about the NHS and never have.

ReputationRep:
    What about the law that states that politicians should live in the place they represent and cannot be influenced by big business or store their money outside of the country? That is some common sense that the EU would never enact. You wonder why you hear about people wanting to rip up cycleways in London - oh, it's because they don't live in London and they need to drive their luxury cars through at full speed...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Are people still going on about this? If I were a remoaner I wouldn't want to telegraph such awful reading comprehension.

Regardless, the government whipped nay on all amendments, unlike a for a quarter of labour that actually means something to Tory MPs, the bill was passed unamended as per the plan.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    What about the law that states that politicians should live in the place they represent and cannot be influenced by big business or store their money outside of the country? That is some common sense that the EU would never enact. You wonder why you hear about people wanting to rip up cycleways in London - oh, it's because they don't live in London and they need to drive their luxury cars through at full speed...
    There is no such law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Still dont see how what the bus said was a lie.

If someone says to their wife 'I got a 100k bonus. Let's splash out on a holiday' it does not mean they are proposing to spend it all on a holiday.

Or "we spend £10000 a year on electric. Let's use gas instead". Clearly, that doesn't imply, necessarily, that £10000 should be spent on gas. It just means they spend a relatively large amount on gas that could be used for other purposes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Are people still going on about this? If I were a remoaner I wouldn't want to telegraph such awful reading comprehension.
    If you were to go discover by accident that someone you knew texted to someone 'Lets kick Jammy Duels face in' would that be cause for concern for you?

Regardless, the government whipped nay on all amendments, unlike a for a quarter of labour that actually means something to Tory MPs, the bill was passed unamended as per the plan.
    That might wash for those in government but not for back benchers like Gove or the labour Leavers

ReputationRep:

For shame.

...or Cameron saying he would trigger article 50 immediately but instead having made no plans, resigning and leaving us paying into the EU for 8 months extra

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james813)
    ...or Cameron saying he would trigger article 50 immediately but instead having made no plans, resigning and leaving us paying into the EU for 8 months extra
    Cameron's an idiot who has trashed his reputation. Cameron resigned pretty sharpish it would have been up to his successor as to when we leave. The brexit MPs backed Theresa May. And most of them have said it was the right thing to do.

But again, man up stop trying to deflect what was a blatant con job by Vote Leave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Yeah but they were just 'recommending it'. Just because they said 'let's fund the NHS instead' it didn't mean they were suggesting we should fund the NHS instead....obviously. Clearly it's our fault for thinking that when they said 'let's fund the NHS' they actually meant 'let's fund the NHS'.

John Major was spot on about the likes of Gove and Johnson. They don't care about the NHS and never have.
    The actual truth is that John Major is actually the person who does not care about the NHS you Muppet. He is one of the people who secretly told Cameron to do the dirty work and not invest in NHS and economy. John Major has been in top elite UK political management but has done nothing for UK except make it crumble and struggle.

ReputationRep:

For shame.

News flash they never promised 350m they suggested 100 million for the NHS and that's all it was a suggestion as the leave campaign isn't the conservative government.

What the government will do with any saving god only knows and we certainly won't know for another 2 years at least

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Newsflash: there is no saving. £350m a week sounds like a lot, but is absolutely nothing compared to how increasing inflation, decreasing growth and a crash in the currency effect the public finances.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.