Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vote Leave vote down £350 million and don't give a **** Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Newsflash: there is no saving. £350m a week sounds like a lot, but is absolutely nothing compared to how increasing inflation, decreasing growth and a crash in the currency effect the public finances.
    It's a massive amount! You can build a whole hospital easily just from one week's savings. And growth is better than before the referendum, the currency hasn't 'crashed' it was overvalued before and helps British businesses. Had we remained who knows how much the Eu would ask for and cost us with their protectionst anti-trade policies.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    The actual truth is that John Major is actually the person who does not care about the NHS you Muppet. He is one of the people who secretly told Cameron to do the dirty work and not invest in NHS and economy. John Major has been in top elite UK political management but has done nothing for UK except make it crumble and struggle.
    Boris Johnson and Michael Gove rose around in a bus with a big 'we send £350 million a week to the EU, let's give it to the NHS instead'.

They were clearly saying we should give it to the NHS instead. Yet both voted against giving it to the NHS.

The worst part is people like you who supported that pledge are now cheering about the fact they were lying about it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    News flash they never promised 350m they suggested 100 million for the NHS and that's all it was a suggestion as the leave campaign isn't the conservative government.

What the government will do with any saving god only knows and we certainly won't know for another 2 years at least

Posted from TSR Mobile
    'We give £350m a week to the EU, let's give it to our NHS instead'

Of course, it's our fault for thinking that meant that they though we should give it to the NHS instead...

Boris Johnson and Michael Gove who championed giving more money to the NHS have just voted against it yet people like you find no problem with such blatant lying.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    I know right?

We'll find out that post brexit immigration has tripled and the brexiters will all be going 'see? Brexits so successful everyone wants to move here!'
    Just like how when the pound fell it was great because 'the pound was overvalued' 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Just like how when the pound fell it was great because 'the pound was overvalued' 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
    To be fair the people at vote leave are geniuses that make mandelson et al look like rank amateurs: mandekson got people to believe spin, Eliot and Cummings et al managed to get people to spin themselves!

In all seriousness if Brexit ends this contagious madness it'll be a price worth paying. That said I doubt it. I think in the desperation of liberal brexiters to achieve Brexit they may have opened up Pandora's box and given rise even respectability to conspiracist dark forces.

In my view I'm far, far more scared of this and the price that it will cost the uk than I am about Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even being partisan about this, at least I'm trying hard not to.

For instance, I thought it was pretty dishonest for 'open' Britain to claim that we didn't have a referendum on leaving the single market therefore we should stay in. Because it was commonly understood that leaving the EU meant leaving the single market even though it didn't mention it on the referendum question.

Do you agree with me that this was dishonest?

If so then you're being a hypocrite.

If not- are you telling me that if the Tories opted for the 'Norwegian option' you would see nothing wrong with them doing that?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    To be fair the people at vote leave are geniuses that make mandelson et al look like rank amateurs: mandekson got people to believe spin, Eliot and Cummings et al managed to get people to spin themselves!

In all seriousness if Brexit ends this contagious madness it'll be a price worth paying. That said I doubt it. I think in the desperation of liberal brexiters to achieve Brexit they may have opened up Pandora's box and given rise even respectability to conspiracist dark forces.

In my view I'm far, far more scared of this and the price that it will cost the uk than I am about Brexit.
    True. But if food prices start to rise you just know the brexiters will be cheeeing that and saying 'well food prices were undervalued'.

You can't win.

ReputationRep:
    Not only does the chair of the electoral commission agree with me that the claim was 'misleading'

But so (to his credit) does Nigel Farage.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...was-a-mistake/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    'We give £350m a week to the EU, let's give it to our NHS instead'

Of course, it's our fault for thinking that meant that they though we should give it to the NHS instead...

Boris Johnson and Michael Gove who championed giving more money to the NHS have just voted against it yet people like you find no problem with such blatant lying.
    It said let's fund our NHS instead it's supposed to imply extra funding without saying how much.

The leave campaign continually suggested it should be half the net figure of what we send which is 100m a week.

Then of course we have the fact it's a single issue vote that had no political party's on the ballot paper and therefore any promise on anything other than in/out is meaningless

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It said let's fund our NHS instead it's supposed to imply extra funding without saying how much.

The leave campaign continually suggested it should be half the net figure of what we send which is 100m a week.

Then of course we have the fact it's a single issue vote that had no political party's on the ballot paper and therefore any promise on anything other than in/out is meaningless
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    See above, additionally it was put just any old randomer saying it, it was prominent members of the cabinet who are now in government. They should resign or at the very least offer an apology.

ReputationRep:
    See above, additionally it was put just any old randomer saying it, it was prominent members of the cabinet who are now in government. They should resign or at the very least offer an apology.
    They were saying it for vote leave not the Conservative party.

There is a reason there isn't uproar over this and no one will resign.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :toofunny: It was deliberately misleading and you know. Why put £350m in the same statement if you don't want to mislead people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    :toofunny: It was deliberately misleading and you know. Why put £350m in the same statement if you don't want to mislead people?
    That was the point, I already said that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Yeah well it wasn't a referendum on immigration either.

Spoiler:
    Show

:rofl3:

This is exactly what it was for many people.

ReputationRep:
    They were saying it for vote leave not the Conservative party.

There is a reason there isn't uproar over this and no one will resign.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I understand that, but they were representatives of vote leave as were those labour MPs. They are weaselling out of their responsibility.

Let's put it another way. Do you think people were right to be angry with Nick Clegg for tripling tuition fees when in all fairness he didn't win a majority? Same principle.

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely I think it's quite sad, these people some of whom are posting here are so sick to death of an out of touch, elitist establishment (which they are justified in to an extent) and they finally think there is a political movement out there that is benevolent and principled and even when this is demonstrably shown that they are just as dishonest and as elitist as their predecessor they're still enchanted with their false idols.

Bornblue this is one of the central reasons why I've moved more to the right and want a small government, regardless of Brexit democracy is mob rule. I'd happily never join the EU again if it means we never have to endure another referendum again.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that, but they were representatives of vote leave as were those labour MPs. They are weaselling out of their responsibility.

Let's put it another way. Do you think people were right to be angry with Nick Clegg for tripling tuition fees when in all fairness he didn't win a majority? Same principle.
    It's actually the same and not the same.

It's the same in the way we never got a lib dem government and that's what their manifesto was for.

It's different because that was a main pledge of a political party in a general election not a single issue vote by a campaign group.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely I think it's quite sad, these people some of whom are posting here are so sick to death of an out of touch, elitist establishment (which they are justified in to an extent) and they finally think there is a political movement out there that is benevolent and principled and even when this is demonstrably shown that they are just as dishonest and as elitist as their predecessor they're still enchanted with their false idols.

Bornblue this is one of the central reasons why I've moved more to the right and want a small government, regardless of Brexit democracy is mob rule. I'd happily never join the EU again if it means we never have to endure another referendum again.
    The question is not whether democracy sucks but whether the alternatives are any better.

What is the alternative? one man rule? rule by technocrats? mixed - i.e. technocrats in some areas + dictator in others?

ReputationRep:
    It's actually the same and not the same.

It's the same in the way we never got a lib dem government and that's what their manifesto was for.

It's different because that was a main pledge of a political party in a general election not a single issue vote by a campaign group.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It wasn't a single issue vote though. As per the single market issue- I'm sure you and most brexiters would have been outraged if the Tories tried to keep us in the single market using the same logic.

Although I see where you're coming from that's too close enough for my liking and is exactly the sort of dishonest trick that the anti establishment movement purport to be against.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was a pledge repeatedly made by key members of the leave campaign who were also members of the governing party. They knew if we left they'd be in a position to vote for extra NHS funding yet they've all voted against.

It's simply lying.

Boris Johnson campaigned on giving the NHS more money and has now voted to stop it getting more money...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.