Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Clearing process - how does it work? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey. Sorry if that post has been made before but I just cannot find it (tried the searching facility) .

So, cutting it to the chase, would someone be that amiable and explain to me briefly how the clearing process works, cos all I get is that if you don't get your grades then on 20/08 at 00:01 AM you'll log on to the net and start applying for courses which have some places left and all this will be completed on a first-come first-serve basis. But however this seems a bit silly, so I certainly must have understood it wrong, so...any comments please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiril)
    Hey. Sorry if that post has been made before but I just cannot find it (tried the searching facility) .

So, cutting it to the chase, would someone be that amiable and explain to me briefly how the clearing process works, cos all I get is that if you don't get your grades then on 20/08 at 00:01 AM you'll log on to the net and start applying for courses which have some places left and all this will be completed on a first-come first-serve basis. But however this seems a bit silly, so I certainly must have understood it wrong, so...any comments please?

In a nutshell, you've hit the nail on the head.

If you fail to meet your CF and IF offers, UCAS will send you a CEF (Clearing Entry Form), and you'll need to get hold of the Clearing Lists (Independent).

As far as I know, you can phone up Uni's you like the looks of, get a provisional offer from them, and send the CEF off to one who will then make you a formal offer (if they still like you), or return your CEF to you if you've been unsuccessful, and you carry on looking.

Basically what you said was spot on, first-come-first-served - it's a mad fortnight for the scramble of remaining places.

I point your attention to the 2004 Clearing Discussion & Advice in this Sub-Forum.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.