Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I thought I'd give you an update with my situation (I'll have to leave uni every day by 1.30 to ensure I'm able to pick my kids up from their school at 3.10) I went to an open day the other day for another look around and hoping the tutor would be there. It was a Saturday and he wasn't but I was given his email address & phone number. I emailed through my concerns and asked that he get back to me so I knew whether uni was even still an option at the moment.

He got right back to me saying that he would make my tutors aware, they would make sure that I got into morning workshops and that I might miss out on visiting lecturers or field trips and that I need to keep on top of the workload (with their support) at home. He said he fully understood childcare issues and I would have all the support from my tutors. I'm so pleased, I can't even tell you. I was working myself up to a state of thinking I would have to wait 10 more years or so. As with field trips etc I can arrange help if it's not to often.

ReputationRep:
    I am starting uni in September and have the same issues....still on deciding which uni to firm but all 3 of my offers have said the timetable will not be given until registration in September....total nightmare for securing childcare, but as someone else posted, I will be booking him in full time with a childminder, and claiming the childcare grant from student finance who will pay 85% of my fees. Its such a worry though not being able to plan in advance, and I will be basing my firm choice around which fits better with my kids (travel times/start times) rather than which is the best uni....how priorities change!

good luck!

Michelle x

ReputationRep:
    I've done the same, chosen the uni closest to home which will make a big difference to travel times. My university timetable man said I will be able to switch to different lectures to fit in with childcare. It is also different times every week, it's not just a set timetable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.