Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Former KKK member apologises to Dr Bernice King and the entire King family Watch

https://youtu.be/wZPQJZHZ1iM

This is one of the most touching videos I've seen in a while and it brought me close to tears.

It's important that all of us, especially us black people that might be harbouring hatred or dislike for the white man because of the actions of the people that oppressed our ancestors, to see this video and learn from Dr King and her family. Also to all the white people that hate people of colour for whatever reason and are willing to kill innocent people because of that. This is for you too.

In these times where racial tensions are at an all time low we need to learn from the example of MLK and his family in order for any progress to be made as a society.
    It'd be great if people like this had bigger voices in society rather than all the people you see rioting and destroying property because of a hatred they've held onto for so long.
    If we want to see any social change we have to go about it peacefully and without violence. That is how the civil rights movement succeeded.

Just thought I'd share this to counteract all the negative race baiting threads we've got in the N&CA currently

ReputationRep:
    Great story. Unfortunately people are still going to continue to scream "All lives matter!" and silence black people but when innocent people do get killed for their race or discriminated against, you're never going to find them defending the innocent.

It's just a cycle of hate and ignorance that the minorities have to face, it's just more subtle now.

(Original post by STEMisSuperior.)
    Great story. Unfortunately people are still going to continue to scream "All lives matter!" and silence black people but when innocent people do get killed for their race or discriminated against, you're never going to find them defending the innocent. It's just a cycle of hate and ignorance that the minorities have to face, it's just more subtle now.
    And that cycle is what Dr King and the foundation are trying to break.
    If people would just come out of their respective echo chambers and actually listen to what the people on the other side have to say then maybe it'd be a step in the right direction. It's so easy for me as a black woman to cling onto hatred for white men after all my people have suffered. Even my immediate grandparents have suffered in the hands of a white man.
    But the only real way to bring about the change in people's attitudes is to go about it with an open mind and a heart filled with love bc till then this cycle of killing and hatred will continue. I mean I get what you're saying, it's hard to believe even after all this people will not see sense but I'm not planning on giving up hope because MLK did not and that's why he has a whole holiday dedicated to him now.

ReputationRep:
    Nearly as tasty as a cube of cheese.lol. Must be a reminder the time it takes for bridges to repair. 60 plus years and mostly likely over more than a generation if people get hurt there's not much to keep them enjoying your company lol. Hope this inspires better mess in the future from both sides.

What are your opinions guys?
    loveleest
    dmy15
    trapking
    WBZ144
    blackdiamond97

ReputationRep:
    Let's savior this thread before the alt-right moves in.

ReputationRep:
    Very interesting video, great find.

I'll never forget the picture I saw at school of a lynching. A black guy hanging from a tree and most haunting was a kid in the crowd sitting on the shoulders of someone, creaking his neck for a better look, grinning like the Cheshire cat...

(Original post by yudothis)
    Let's savior this thread before the alt-right moves in.
    Can't imagine what part of the message they can pick apart or criticise as 'too left wing' but this is tsr so I won't be surprised :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Really nice to see, in a world where one tweet taken the wrong way will destroy your life.

(Original post by StrawbAri)
      Can't imagine what part of the message they can pick apart or criticise as 'too left wing' but this is tsr so I won't be surprised :lol:
      Anything is left-wing if you are an edgy teenager.

ReputationRep:
      Interesting video. Both views were intriguing. It is so crazy yet fascinating that the former KKK actually grew up around KKK but that didn't stop him from joining such a racist hate group, shows that your surroundings doesn't mean much at all. He was honest and realised that what he did was obviously wrong which is good.

(Original post by loveleest)
      Interesting video. Both views were intriguing. It is so crazy yet fascinating that the former KKK actually grew up around KKK but that didn't stop him from joining such a racist hate group, shows that your surroundings doesn't mean much at all. He was honest and realised that what he did was obviously wrong which is good.
      Yeahh
      Especially about how a black woman raised him but he still got sucked into all that anyway.
      Yeah I appreciate the honesty too. I wonder what made him change his ways.

ReputationRep:
      I'll come back to this tomorrow so that I can have a proper look at the situation.

ReputationRep:
      My computer restarted halfway through the post so I'm having to rewrite it all StrawbAri no vex ya!

For my sanity I'll try to summarize what I said, but basically stories like his are why I have absolutely no problem personally brushing of racism towards myself. Just like he said and Dr. Kind said, people that end up in such wild hate groups, be it the KKK or ISIS or Neo-Nazis or whatever are doing so from a place of profound loneliness, ignorance, and a pathetic sense of self worth. I've realized that people like that can only feel like they are better than the group they target only if they bring them down to the dirt because that's how low they themselves feel. People like him are an extreme example, but in my experience, it's generally the case for all these closet racists, aka the ones who used Donald Trump to express their hatred of brown people, the ones who used Brexit to express their hate for anyone from east of Germany, even here on TSR where people think anonymity gives them the right to just outright despise people just for the amount of pigment in their skin. They're all missing a big chunk of their souls and so I've learned never to respond to it with hate like MLK could've done on that bus, but just with understanding, logic and love.

Fighting hate with more hate does nothing to reconcile either side, if anything it gives them more reason to keep their imaginary fear of us going and who even has time to be angry all the time. Being persistently nice to those who want to hate you is the best way to throw them off imo, it just frustrates them to the point that they stop having the energy to try and ruin your day. But that's just my privileged ass, I've hardly had to get down and dirty with a hardcore racist that isn't just an online fool, although I do welcome the chance to

(Original post by alexschmalex)
      My computer restarted halfway through the post so I'm having to rewrite it all StrawbAri no vex ya!

For my sanity I'll try to summarize what I said, but basically stories like his are why I have absolutely no problem personally brushing of racism towards myself. Just like he said and Dr. Kind said, people that end up in such wild hate groups, be it the KKK or ISIS or Neo-Nazis or whatever are doing so from a place of profound loneliness, ignorance, and a pathetic sense of self worth. I've realized that people like that can only feel like they are better than the group they target only if they bring them down to the dirt because that's how low they themselves feel. People like him are an extreme example, but in my experience, it's generally the case for all these closet racists, aka the ones who used Donald Trump to express their hatred of brown people, the ones who used Brexit to express their hate for anyone from east of Germany, even here on TSR where people think anonymity gives them the right to just outright despise people just for the amount of pigment in their skin. They're all missing a big chunk of their souls and so I've learned never to respond to it with hate like MLK could've done on that bus, but just with understanding, logic and love.

Fighting hate with more hate does nothing to reconcile either side, if anything it gives them more reason to keep their imaginary fear of us going and who even has time to be angry all the time. Being persistently nice to those who want to hate you is the best way to throw them off imo, it just frustrates them to the point that they stop having the energy to try and ruin your day. But that's just my privileged ass, I've hardly had to get down and dirty with a hardcore racist that isn't just an online fool, although I do welcome the chance to
      Preach!

I pity the fool that comes after your sharp tongued ass :rofl:

ReputationRep:
      Preach!

I pity the fool that comes after your sharp tongued ass :rofl:
      Sharp tongue? Me? Naaaah fam I'm the nicest person the whole of TSR 😊

ReputationRep:
      Yeahh
      Especially about how a black woman raised him but he still got sucked into all that anyway.
      Yeah I appreciate the honesty too. I wonder what made him change his ways.
      I was actually meant to say how he got into kkk yet a black women raised him... I was so tired yesterday when I wrote that.
      I wonder what actually drove him to join the kkk even though a black women raised him. I wonder if the black women knew he was part of the kkk

ReputationRep:
      What are your opinions guys?
      loveleest
      dmy15
      trapking
      WBZ144
      blackdiamond97
      Dr King is an inspirational woman, despite having lost so much. I have had to work hard not to fall into that same trap, but the worst racism I have faced came from Saudis. Sometimes it's very tempting to make blanket statements about all Saudis and to express general resentment towards them, but then I have to remind myself of all of the incredible Saudis who I have met and how that sort of hatred only results in a vicious cycle.

That has also been the case with certain White people on the Internet (always right-wing). The worst racism that I have faced from White people in person were snarky remarks which did not have a link to race which was blatant enough for me to call them out on it. On the other hand, the Internet emboldens racists to make some very ugly racial attacks because they seem to believe that there are no consequences (a couple of them even happened on TSR). It's just important to remember all of the good people and the fact that I don't like being stereotyped, so should avoid doing to others.

Being in the era of the likes of Trump and Bannon doesn't help either.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.