Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think the EU will fall if Remain won Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It seems like it would either way IMO. It's because I think they need to reform their policies, also the issue with Greece is annoying a lot of member states as everyone has to make a contribution.

I am a Remainer and I always will be due to the single market and free trade, but the EU has an uncertain future. Not to mention Trump and his dislike of the 'consortium' as he calls them

Your Thoughts?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asim1999)
    It seems like it would either way IMO. It's because I think they need to reform their policies, also the issue with Greece is annoying a lot of member states as everyone has to make a contribution.

I am a Remainer and I always will be due to the single market and free trade, but the EU has an uncertain future. Not to mention Trump and his dislike of the 'consortium' as he calls them

Your Thoughts?
    I don't think it'd necessarily fail, at least not within the next few years, but I do think that it'd continue on in its state of crapness, which I for one as a leave voter, and very glad we're getting out of. To be honest, I'm now not too worried about what happens to the EU, or at least once we're out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I don't think it'd necessarily fail, at least not within the next few years, but I do think that it'd continue on in its state of crapness, which I for one as a leave voter, and very glad we're getting out of. To be honest, I'm now not too worried about what happens to the EU, or at least once we're out.
    The pound is low and prices have increased. Do you think the pound will go up after brexit or not?

ReputationRep:
    If Remain won, we'd literally be Juncker's new puppets, such that the membership terms that Cameron worked so hard to negotiate would be scrapped. "Well, that's what you get for holding a referendum," the EU overlords would say. Can't win regardless of the vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asim1999)

Your Thoughts?
    You are getting your tenses horribly mixed up. There is no way we will ever know if the EU will fail under a remain vote because we voted leave.

Will the EU fail? Who knows. A lot is resting on France at the moment and whether Marion Le Pen wins the Presidency. Be prepared for proper fireworks. I find it so sad. We are basically systematically forgetting the events that led up to the second world war. If there is one thing I have learned, it is that human beings are absolutely rubbish at learning lessons from history.

ReputationRep:
    NO but it's definitely changing. That's true for better or worse. Only today Germany was forced to comment on calls for a "nuclear deterrent" controlled by the EU.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ar-superpower/

What we're about to see is a fight between those who hold the belief that the nation states of the EU should hold more power (the UK was the biggest player here especially in protecting national armed forces and NATO supremacy for defence) and those who feel the EU should commit to ever closer union. The UK leaving changed the balance of power in the EU. France used us as a front against Germany becoming too dominating and Germany used us to negate French protectionism on the single market (we pushed for more trade deals).
    https://www.stratfor.com/weekly/how-...-balance-power

The above article is well worth a read. The only ones that seem to see the British as weak are the British.

For all the remain sides talk of us being "too small" and the leave side claiming the EU "made 88% of our laws" the fact is the UK was a major player in the EU. Nothing will show that as clearly as when we have left.

Worst case will be others leaving and the EU ending up a collection of the "smaller" nations & Germany. Not even Germany wants that.

ReputationRep:
    All political structures fall eventually so it is when not if. I cannot see it collapsing in the foreseeable future. But who knows what the future holds? Anything is possible. It is certainly more likely now we are leaving.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.