Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are the student account freebies lacking? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Currently the only favourable option is Santander with their 4 year Railcard deal, also seems like HSBC have retracted their offer from last year which was rather appealing (£60 amazon voucher + 1 year of Amazon prime).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's not like there's been any kind of massive economic issue in the last few years. The banks shouldn't care about how much money they give out for free...
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paladin597)
    Currently the only favourable option is Santander with their 4 year Railcard deal, also seems like HSBC have retracted their offer from last year which was rather appealing (£60 amazon voucher + 1 year of Amazon prime).
    it could be that the banks try to compete on overdrafts instead or they aren't concentrating on attracting students as much as people don't tend to stick with a bank for life like they used to, since switching services make it easier than it used to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    it could be that the banks try to compete on overdrafts instead or they aren't concentrating on attracting students as much as people don't tend to stick with a bank for life like they used to, since switching services make it easier than it used to be.
    Overdrafts don't bother me at all, I'll most likely not use it in my 4 years of studying, I'm a bit disappointed tbh
    • Very Important Poster

Students arent as attractive a market any more. What he said its all about the overdraft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    Yeah, it's not like there's been any kind of massive economic issue in the last few years. The banks shouldn't care about how much money they give out for free...
    Brexit? How does that affect bank freebies, would you mind to elaborate
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Overdrafts don't bother me at all, I'll most likely not use it in my 4 years of studying, I'm a bit disappointed tbh
    Well if you don't feel the need to have an overdraft (although you could always build your credit history a little by having one and using it responsibly) , get a decent current account instead at least you'd get some interest that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Well if you don't feel the need to have an overdraft (although you could always build your credit history a little by having one and using it responsibly) , get a decent current account instead at least you'd get some interest that way.
    fair enough

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.