Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i am an international student and I'm studying Biomed (first year) in the UK.

At first i wanted to finish my degree then try to get into 4 year MD program but i realised it is really competitive and that i might not get it and loose so much money ( international students pay even more!)

so now im thinking to apply for Charles in Prague. I heard people say it is unusually hard for first year and fail rate is very high. I Wanna know how is it hard? is it because many don't study hard enough and party hard instead in a new charming atmosphere or what?
    im worried because if i fail then i loose my chance in the UK too.
    how well i should be in my Czech language ability after first year?

also what sort of qualification would you achieve at the end? is it kind of international recognisable one? they say yes but i wanna know if it is really practical.

is Czech better than Poland in this case?

also i would love to read about your general experience.
    many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm not applying for medicine myself, but my mum is a doctor, and is involved in training junior doctors who have just finished their medicine degrees.

She says that medicine degrees from Prague are nowhere near as good as UK medicine degrees - the Prague graduates she has are lacking in so much knowledge that UK-medical school graduates have; this may be in part due to the language barrier? Several of the Prague graduates she has trained have failed the assessment to become a GP multiple times. It's also harder for Prague graduates to get the placements they need to become a qualified doctor, because their degrees are not very well thought of.

So my advice would be, if you are thinking of working in the UK as a doctor, then work really hard to get into a UK medical school - even the lowest-ranked UK medical school would be better than Prague in terms of the job prospects you will have in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    Hi, I'm not applying for medicine myself, but my mum is a doctor, and is involved in training junior doctors who have just finished their medicine degrees.

She says that medicine degrees from Prague are nowhere near as good as UK medicine degrees - the Prague graduates she has are lacking in so much knowledge that UK-medical school graduates have; this may be in part due to the language barrier? Several of the Prague graduates she has trained have failed the assessment to become a GP multiple times. It's also harder for Prague graduates to get the placements they need to become a qualified doctor, because their degrees are not very well thought of.

So my advice would be, if you are thinking of working in the UK as a doctor, then work really hard to get into a UK medical school - even the lowest-ranked UK medical school would be better than Prague in terms of the job prospects you will have in the UK.
    Thank you very much for your response.
    I love to stay here because I have already bound to England.
    That's what my family say as well.
    My only fear is if I do not get a place here after graduation and then I would have little time to leave the UK or to apply for a job or go to other European countries. Because I don't want to pursue any other job.
    Do you know any thing about getting into medicine after having done an undergrad such as the rate of acceptance or the unis that have the highest seats etc anything would be appreciate it. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    As a Czech citizen I happen to have a couple of friends who study medicine at Charles University. Generally for Czech citizens, it is extremely hard to get into one of its faculties (Charles University has 1st, 2nd and 3rd Faculty of Medicine). Each of them is tied to a different university hospital. I am not sure if this stands for international students though as you might have different requirements.

In the Czech Republic medical degree from this university is considered highly prestigious and rigorous at the same time. This sadly means that the amount of work that young medics do is immense (thus the drop-out rate, although probably connected only to the 3rd faculty as this one accepts the biggest number of students, 2nd faculty for instance accepts only about 20 people but these have to go through a series of personal interviews and achieve straight As). There has been a study about the medical study environment that said that almost 33% of all of the medicine students think about commiting a suicide at least once during their studies. Take that as you wish.

Furthermore, don't expect much partying. It is a standard that you take tests and oral examinations on a weekly basis and therefore inevitably a lot of students spend much time of the week studying or preparing for examinations. However, this is highly personal and of course even medics enjoy a great social life. Just simply not as much as history students.

To your other questions - the Czech language is very, very hard and nothing like English. I have never come across an immigrant who was able to speak fluently without an accent even after living in the country for more than 20 years. Cases and declinations make it a linguistic nightmare. In one year, I can imagine you would able to buy your groceries in a shop or read simple texts. But in Prague almost everyone speaks some level of English so you would easily get by.

About the international recognition - I believe that this degree gives you the ability to work in other EU countries without much trouble (some of our medics go to work to Germany, Austria or the UK and have no difficulty doing so). As LeapingLucy pointed out, some of them might fail but I strongly believe this would be a result of a language barrier. The medical programs are generally highly regarded and our public health care system is considered excellent. Hence the demand for Czech medics.

When it comes to the Poland-Czech Republic comparison, I have nothing much to say. I believe (not sure in this case) that Czech Universities rank the highest out of all of the former eastern block countries and Czech graduates recently ranked among the best in the world on the employability index. Additionally, living standards are higher in the Czech Republic than in Poland. Prague is usually perceived as a gateway between west and east and you can notice it everyday. About 15% of its citizens are international. Aaaaand the hords of tourists.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am Rosey.

Could you please help me.

I AM CALLING ALL CZECH STUDENTS FOR PAID PARTICIPATION IN A CONFIDENTIAL SURVEY.

I am working on a short confidential survey about Czech students and need some information from students who attend schools in Czech republic.
    YOU WILL NOT BE REQUIRED TO GIVE ANY CONFIDENTIAL PRIVATE INFORMATION AND YOU WILL BE PAID VERY WELL FOR PARTICIPATION.
    THIS IS VERY URGENT AND SINCERE... PLEASE REPLY YOUR INTEREST

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.