Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hello, I'm
    Considering applying for teacher training but I am worried about the financial implications of it. I am a single mum of three and at the monent I recieve tax credits and housing benefit. If I decide to apply it would be to teach languages at Secondary level so I wouldvhopefully get a bursary of £25,000. I would have to use £9,000 to pay for the tuition fee leaving me with £14,000, basically what I earn now! I understand that if I did a PGCE I would not be working so I would o get the working tax credits but does anyone know if I would get children's tax credits and housing benefit? I guess as a full time student I would be exempt from paying council tax? Thank you, any replies will be most appreciated!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I can only answer the bit about the council tax which is yes you're exempt as a student. The other baits can;t your council advise you about?
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 9, 2017

University open days

  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.