The Student Room Group

Middle-aged career-change to law... advice please!

Scroll to see replies

I was in finance for 15 years 2:1 in Business studies so nothing to shout about. I too will be looking for paralegal roles however, in my search it looks as though I may have more luck in a junior paralegal role to get experience. It’s very tough out there and with the covid pandemic it’s twice as bad finding jobs. I have a degree, 15 years banking experience, GDL and the LPC Masters. I have tried many job applications and applied for volunteer work in law centres, nothing yet. I am still hopeful of getting some law experience and will keep on trying as far as my finance allows ....
What did you decide to do and how did you get on?
In the end I decided to follow a slightly different path given my age and some off the record advice from established people in the profession.

I'm now focused on putting into practice my software development skills to try and develop something useful for smaller law firms. I figured why not leverage my existing IT skills in a slightly different way.

Best of luck everyone; whatever route you take.
Be positiveI worked full time while doing the LPC and Law degree.I qualified as a lawyer it was not easy, but here is the key don't listen to anyone.Don't tell anyone if that's what you want to do go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending