Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heya peeps!

I was hoping I could hear of some opinions on my situation. All comments are welcome.

I've applied for pure Economic History around the 10th of December. I've received an email three weeks ago that my application has started being considered and that it would take around 8 weeks to receive a reply.

The 'issue' of sorts would be that that email was sent two weeks after I was emailed being told that I didn't meet the minimum entry requirements, lmao. Apparently I needed a B instead of a C in my 5th A-Level of Geography as my subject combo is 'too narrow'. This coming after a pre-application phone call when I was told I more than met the entry requirements.

I have likewise already achieved my A Levels and attended university for a couple of months for a PPE course I realized was horrific (I've withdrawn).

Should I interpret this as the LSE being a proper application hoarder and REALLY overdoing the whole application pooling thing, or as the possibility of still being properly considered, given how much time has already passed (in relation to not meeting entry requirements).

In case you still have the patience to read some more, here is some quick background:

A*AA (Business/Econ/History) with an 'extra' ACC (General Studies, Geography, Level 3 OCR Quantitative Reasoning). Went to a horribly ranked school (bottom 20%) having moved over to the UK for 6th form from EE. Weak school attendance, good (but hilariously formatted and badly worded) reference and a supposedly 'brilliant' personal statement geared towards geopolitics and economic history.

ReputationRep:
    Tbf to LSE it does explicitly say on it's website that an application with economics and business studies will be disadvantaged as it is too narrow a subject combination

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rolaah)
    Tbf to LSE it does explicitly say on it's website that an application with economics and business studies will be disadvantaged as it is too narrow a subject combination
    Yeah, fair nuff. But to be completely fair, you expect some amount of capability from those you call up at the LSE.

I was more than certain that staff at good universities would be able to point out such possible disadvantages, especially considering the fact that I mentioned the possibility of withdrawing from my then-current university (driving up the stakes a bit). In fact, I rationalized it as having a C in Geography with an 'extra' A in General Studies as being 'broad' enough for them, instead of having just a B.

Why else would they have asked me for my exact qualifications and grades then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caius Filimon)
    Yeah, fair nuff. But to be completely fair, you expect some amount of capability from those you call up at the LSE.

I was more than certain that staff at good universities would be able to point out such possible disadvantages, especially considering the fact that I mentioned the possibility of withdrawing from my then-current university (driving up the stakes a bit). In fact, I rationalized it as having a C in Geography with an 'extra' A in General Studies as being 'broad' enough for them, instead of having just a B.

Why else would they have asked me for my exact qualifications and grades then?
    True, and that person on the phone probably should have known better. Did the email explicitly say that you needed a broader range of subjects?

EDIT: I think the reason you were rejected was not because you didn't meet "minimum entry requirements", but on the basis that other applicants had a broader range of subjects and thus you couldn't be made an offer. LSE is cut-throat and this is a common excuse they give to applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rolaah)
    True, and that person on the phone probably should have known better. Did the email explicitly say that you needed a broader range of subjects?

EDIT: I think the reason you were rejected was not because you didn't meet "minimum entry requirements", but on the basis that other applicants had a broader range of subjects and thus you couldn't be made an offer. LSE is cut-throat and this is a common excuse they give to applicants.
    The point of my question was that I have not yet been rejected = P I would've expected that after weeks of deliberating on my application, one that does not meet minimum entry requirements with regards to 'non-narrow' subject combos, I would've long been rejected. For some reason I haven't been, so far. I was asking for opinions on whether there still is some hope if they're taking so long or if they are just application hoggers.

The email said I would 'most likely' be unsuccessful based on my A level combo. They asked if I could take up another A level and I said sure, but they gave me too early a confirmation deadline for the extra A Level (7th A-Level, Christ..) so I didn't end up providing proof of enrollment in time so I just left it be. Besides, I didn't want to put into peril current/future unconditionals from other top unis.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

The point of my question was that I have not yet been rejected = P I would've expected that after weeks of deliberating on my application, one that does not meet minimum entry requirements with regards to 'non-narrow' subject combos, I would've long been rejected. For some reason I haven't been, so far. I was asking for opinions on whether there still is some hope if they're taking so long or if they are just application hoggers.

The email said I would 'most likely' be unsuccessful based on my A level combo. They asked if I could take up another A level and I said sure, but they gave me too early a confirmation deadline for the extra A Level (7th A-Level, Christ..) so I didn't end up providing proof of enrollment in time so I just left it be. Besides, I didn't want to put into peril current/future unconditionals from other top unis.
    There is definitely still hope because they haven't rejected you yet for some reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    There is definitely still hope because they haven't rejected you yet for some reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is it at all believable that the average offer given out (according to my phonecall) is in fact AAB? Even though it is 'only' Economic History, it is still an LSE course, so I find that very doubtful. But that could explain why I'm still being considered.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Is it at all believable that the average offer given out (according to my phonecall) is in fact AAB? Even though it is 'only' Economic History, it is still an LSE course, so I find that very doubtful. But that could explain why I'm still being considered.
    Yes the average offer given should be AAB. I talked to some LSE admissions officers a few months ago and they told me that you usually need higher predicteds to get an offer but the offer that they give will usually be inline with the site's typical offer.

In all honesty, you have achieved grades so I would just wait and see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.